Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes I bought my car off of ebay, why?
Old 07-28-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I didnt read any of the responses but will say this.
If you find a car online make absolutely sure that you claim the full asking price of the car. The search they conduct for liens is bullshit although they also check for that. What they are doing is a nation wide search to find the vehicle posting and copy all the information they can about the vehicle.
Then they let you pay tax on the declared amount if it differs from the asking price/advertised they will arrest you on the spot, impound the vechicles, including the truck and trailler. Then they will nail you to the wall for taxs due.
Then they let you go.
Think im full of ****?
Dont ask me how I know, Im still trying to find out how in the name of God they found the ad.

Ps any conversations via email, Pms etc concerning the importing vehicle is also tracked and used as evidence. JFYI
Old 07-28-2007, 11:31 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jester1
I didnt read any of the responses but will say this.
If you find a car online make absolutely sure that you claim the full asking price of the car. The search they conduct for liens is bullshit although they also check for that. What they are doing is a nation wide search to find the vehicle posting and copy all the information they can about the vehicle.
Then they let you pay tax on the declared amount if it differs from the asking price/advertised they will arrest you on the spot, impound the vechicles, including the truck and trailler. Then they will nail you to the wall for taxs due.
Then they let you go.
Think im full of ****?
Dont ask me how I know, Im still trying to find out how in the name of God they found the ad.

Ps any conversations via email, Pms etc concerning the importing vehicle is also tracked and used as evidence. JFYI
I don't understand, you got in trouble for negotiating down from the asking price? How can that be? Or did you use an even lower number and they somehow caught you?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, the advertised price is hardly ever paid. It is a starting point and usually the seller and buyer can agree to a lower price almost 90% of the time, especially if there are issues with the vehicle.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

The asking price differed than that of the declared price. It boggled my mind! I wasnt the only one also seems that this is a normal dailly occurance at the boarder. The funny part was the good cop bad cop show they put on it was halarious, although they themselves didnt think so.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:54 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jester1
The asking price differed than that of the declared price. It boggled my mind! I wasnt the only one also seems that this is a normal dailly occurance at the boarder. The funny part was the good cop bad cop show they put on it was halarious, although they themselves didnt think so.
But they let you go with the car though right?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Holy **** that sucks man, I finally got my car and inspected yesterday. I need to replace one tie rod end, in which I will be doing myself tonight and taking it back to show them tomorrow. Other than that, as long as plating it tomorrow is smooth. The only issue I really had was the long wait, but well worth. Took it for a couple spins already, can't hardly wait for plates except the price to do so
Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

For anybody to whom this concerns, I finally got my car plated today. Had to adjsut a couple small things via inspection but generally all was ok. If you can deal with the wait, or drive it over yourself(which I think would be to much of a hastle) than all in all I reccommend importing one. Jsut research and make sure you ahve all your I's dotted and T's crossed before you buy. I did this in which is why I think it wnt ok. Anymore input don't hesitate to p me, I'd be glad to help out and save someone on some frustrations I endured!
Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BJM
But they let you go with the car though right?
oh yeah after alot of money!

they just wanted the money

I would pay large sums of money to meet or run into the **** who wanted to play bad cop. Id give him a bad day. One that he wouldnt forget
Problem is I wont stupe to his level.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:35 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I found the direct link to the new directory of importing and exporting dealers at the NAATA. This is a handy document.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Funny how many were built in K-BEC and shipped to the US market. NAFTA rules govern the years you can legally bring a US car back to Canada. As the agreement matured the years changed (at one time it was 10 years and older - so post 1996). However, that has changed to 5 years but don't quote me on it.

The best thing to do is contact Canadian Customs because they are the ones you must clear first. I moved from Canada to the US years ago and my vehicle had to mean the EPA requirements. Same was true when I moved my ex to Canada. Her BMW had to meet requirements as well but that is Environment Canada deal.

Contact Customs for your best advise. It is always good to know the people at the border crossing before you enter back into Canada with the car. If you are say coming from Buffalo to Ft. Erie, go in a talk the manager and be sure be is working WHEN you bring the car across at the SAME point (I learned this the hard way).

Better to have all lose ends in place way before you get the car. Buy for the non snow areas like the Gulf coast. Florida, California, south Texas is best. Your BEST deals will be found in Florida. You wouldn't believe how many car carriers bring in cars into Houston from Florida - Houston is an expensive market for ALL used cars.

Good luck and with gas prices too!!
I have friends from Vancouver, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario........they have gone tax crazy!!
I left after the GST came in.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Teching In

bump with the dollar at par this should be a sticky
Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Second that, I am bringing over my second F-Body at the end of this month
Old 11-06-2007, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

I have a question for everyone who had their car shipped to them. How did you go about getting the car to customs to have it looked and get the forms and such? I'm supposed to have my car delivered sometime soon and was wondering about this aspect of the importation process.

Or does the car not have to be there at all and can I just bring the bill of sale and Title down to the customs offices myself?

Last edited by Laffs; 11-07-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you need allot of help, get a broker to do all of your paper work and it will be stress fee. Its worth the extra couple hundred bucks. My next one I will be bringing over in a couple weeks I will be doing all of the paper work but wouldn't advise it for the fist one. Worth it IMO
Old 11-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Teching In

In case people read this and start drooling at the money they can save, I've been looking and the deals aren't as good on quite a few cars. 2005 Cadillac CTS-V 50kms- $29999 Canadian or US. 2006 Subaru STI 40kms $29000 US or $30000 Ca. Jeep Liberty CRD 70kms $20000 US or Canadian. These deals must be hard to find because I can't find any.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Where are you looking? Try autotrader.com, craigslist, kijiji and other site of that nature. I had to search high and low to find my car but its looks like I'll save about 5k in the end
Old 11-08-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The good deals aren't just going to jump out and bite you. You have to search as many different sites as possible. I search around 10 or so sites and I have found some really GOOD deals, let's just say.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Oh yes, I just bought a 2001 Camaro with 52k on it without an engine or trans for a little over 1G. This was perfect for me b/c it was close to the guy building my 408 and t-56 and he can slap it on in. I will pay low gst on the car and none on the engine and trans worth over 10g's. **** them, lol
Old 12-03-2007, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Question again, what did everyone pay for their Recall letter. I called GM VVS and they sent a me a form to complete, but it says the Charge is $250!!! I thought this letter would cost 30-50 bucks at most! Perhaps I'm going about this wrong.

Quick Reply: Importing an F-Body?