Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carb'd LS1 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carb'd LS1 Questions

I'm getting closer to actually swapping my LS1 (just ordered the adapter plates and headers yesterday) so I'm trying to get everything I need to get started and have a few questions I haven't been able to find the answers to.

1. I've heard electric fans from a 4th gen f-body can be used. What do I need to make them work?

2. Most 2nd gen owners have clearance issues with the a/c compressor (using fbody acc.). If I decide to notch the k-member can I use the stock 4th gen fbody a/c compressor even though I'm going carb or do I have to use an aftermarket compressor?

3. Do I use the 2nd gen or 4th gen condensor?

Sorry if any of these are dumb questions, but this is my first ever car project and this site and nastyz28 have been my only sources of information.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no ac on my swap, but i am using Fbody fans. check my build up.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37078

i also posted my timing curve in a different post yesterday.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

1. You need to wire them up so they come on with a switch, with a designated temperature setup or a combination of both, mine are on a switch so i can turn them on at the track for quicker cooling.

2. Notching it is required to use the stock GM LS AC compressor, it will work with a LS that is carbed if you wire it in.

3. there are retro kits out there that i am sure will help you decide what condenser to use, i dont have AC on my car.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. Getting really excited to start pulling the old motor out and getting the new one in. My wife is using the 70 as her DD this week while her truck gets fixed, so it's getting a nice last run before it gets parked for a while. Should be starting the work soon and should have a build thread started within the next couple of months so be prepared for more newb questions
Old 09-14-2010, 03:27 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Well, hopefully i can pull off getting our carbed section on here and you might be the first to post their project in there!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Well, hopefully i can pull off getting our carbed section on here and you might be the first to post their project in there!
i hope goes thru. not much success last time around
Old 09-14-2010, 06:37 PM
In-Zane Moderator

But there wasnt ME pushing the issue, LOL.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
1. You need to wire them up so they come on with a switch, with a designated temperature setup or a combination of both, mine are on a switch so i can turn them on at the track for quicker cooling.
Would it be possible/reasonable to wire the second fan to come on when I turn on the a/c?
Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Usually a stock system activates the cooling fans when the AC comes on anyway, if there is a need for it to make the AC work better, sure.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

New question, this time about gauges.
I want to get these gauges from summit so that I can monitor my oil pressure and water temp until I can afford some nice aftermarket gauges and a new gauge panel. What do I need to make just these 2 gauges work, and would I be better off with electrical gauges or will the mechanical be fine for now?