Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

LS2 with MSD wont start - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 with MSD wont start - HELP

I have an LS2 motor out of a ’06 Corvette with a 58 tooth reluctor wheel that I installed in my Panoz track car. I have a Holley 750 carb set up so I had to add the 58 tooth MSD carb ignition system to make the switch over from FI. Anyway, the car won’t start. I checked and am getting 12 volts to the MSD box, an getting 12 volts to the coil packs (which I got used on the forum, could be an issue), but I get no spark at the plugs. So any ideas? What resistance should I read on the crank sensor, the cam sensor and the coil packs? I’m thinking that is the only thing that could go wrong. The crank sensor is new from GM, the cam sensor came with the engine. I am told the jumper cable to the cam sensor needs to be deleted for the MSD box to work right, because it seems to reverse the wires to and from the connector and have tried to start the car with and without the jumper wire, but didn’t make any difference.
Help!!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:22 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Seems the cam sensor might be the issue, i read the newer sensors can be mixed up or have to wore the cam sensor differently.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am having troubles with my 6012 box as well. Mine wont accept the cam sensor signal which makes it guess at tdc#1, and it only starts 50% of the time, then runs fine.
If yours wont spark and wont start at all, it must not be seeing a crank signal. If you connect a laptop to the msd while cranking it will probably show crank sensor fail. This could mean anything from bad sensor, to damaged wires between sensor and msd, to poor grounding causing the msd to be unable to interpret sensor signals, to low voltage supplied to the msd DURING cranking.
I am still working on my issue, its slow going, as I need another set of hands to crank the starter while I probe wires................
Barrett
Old 11-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

I have an LS2 ’04 Corvette engine with a carburetor in a Panoz track car. It has a 58 tooth reluctor wheel (which I have counted to make sure) and I have installed a 6012 MSD carburetor ignition system.
The problem is that I am not getting any spark at any of the cylinders.
To trouble shoot, I have replaced both the cam and crank sensors (gray).
I am getting 12 volts to the MSD box.
I am getting 12 volts to the coils.
I am getting 5 volts to both sensors.
I have the step retard unhooked.
I have the MAP unhooked.
When I crank the engine, with or without the spark plugs, I do not get a tachometer reading on the lap top. Engine is turning over at a good speed.
I also get a “no crank signal” on the lap top. This is why I replaced both sensors.
I am getting ~ 4.5 volts return from the cam sensor. (using a multi meter, so don’t know how good that volt value really is) back to the box.
I am getting ~1.3 volts return from the crank sensor. (using a multi meter, so don’t know how good that volt value really is) back to the box.
I am only getting ~0.05 volts to the coil packs to fire the coil from the box (using a multi meter, so don’t know how good that volt value really is)
So, I’m stumped. The box is new, but can it be bad?
What else would you suggest?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:52 PM
HPM
Banned

I have had pretty good luck with MSD's tech help. Give them a shout and see what they can do to help.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ducky1
I am getting ~ 4.5 volts return from the cam sensor. (using a multi meter, so don’t know how good that volt value really is) back to the box.
I am getting ~1.3 volts return from the crank sensor. (using a multi meter, so don’t know how good that volt value really is) back to the box.
I am only getting ~0.05 volts to the coil packs to fire the coil from the box (using a multi meter, so don’t know how good that volt value really is)
Are you getting these reading while the engine is cranking? Your problem almost sounds like one that other conversaion people have run into. They will have the ignition voltage wire connected to the wrong place and will lose the 12V signal when the switch is in the crank position.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

I called the MSD help line and they asked me to check to see if I was getting 12 volts to the coil when cranking the engine. I checked and I am getting 12 volts to the coils when cranking.
I got the coils off the forum here, so I'm not sure if they are LS2 cils or not, but can that make a differance? I got to think that all 8 coils can not be bad, but is there a check cor the coils?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Launching!

bad (-neg) ground??
Old 11-25-2010, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

There were a few posts a couple of years ago where people were having trouble getting the MSD boxes to fire if the motor wasn't cranking fairly fast. Even though your battery is completly charged, try hooking jumper cables to the car so it will spin faster. If it starts then, call MSD again and talk to them. They might be able to do something with the box so it will fire at a slower cranking speed. This problem was on older boxes and I thought they had been updated. You may have gotten one that's been sitting on a shelf somewhere for quite a while.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
There were a few posts a couple of years ago where people were having trouble getting the MSD boxes to fire if the motor wasn't cranking fairly fast. Even though your battery is completly charged, try hooking jumper cables to the car so it will spin faster. If it starts then, call MSD again and talk to them. They might be able to do something with the box so it will fire at a slower cranking speed. This problem was on older boxes and I thought they had been updated. You may have gotten one that's been sitting on a shelf somewhere for quite a while.
This is true it happened to me^^ My box was recoded and no more problem.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

I tried cranking the motor with the plugs out and a charger hooked up to the battery, still no spark. I'll call MSD Monday to see if he has any other think to try.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Launching!

I had the same problem and I had to get a real good battery the engine has to spin over quick for some reason I also noticed if I unhooked the battery and reconnected it then it would start ?
Old 11-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I got hold of the MSD expert and walked him through all the trouble shooting and voltages I have tested, he said "its your box, send it in and we will fix or replace it".
Life is good (I hope, we will see when the fixed or new box shows up).
PS I have an '06 LS2, sorry about the "04 in the start of the thread.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ducky1
Well, I got hold of the MSD expert and walked him through all the trouble shooting and voltages I have tested, he said "its your box, send it in and we will fix or replace it".
Life is good (I hope, we will see when the fixed or new box shows up).
PS I have an '06 LS2, sorry about the "04 in the start of the thread.
Be sure to update this when you get the box back so we know how it turned out.

Quick Reply: LS2 with MSD wont start - HELP