Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Feedback On My LS Carb Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback On My LS Carb Build

Hey guys I think I am starting to zero in on the LS combination I want to build for my project. I thought I would post some highlights and get some feedback.

The LS is for a hot rod project (fiberglass body - lakester modified coupe). The final car is only going to weigh about 2300 pounds. The car will be a show car for the first year or two. Then the car will be driven. My goal is for an engine that is more torque oriented and not necessarily a big horsepower number.

The engine will have a carburetor intake as opposed to EFI. Thus the reason I am posting in this forum. The car might make an occasional 6000+ RPM pull but it want be a drag racing vehicle. No other power add-ons like NOS, turbo, or super charger will be used.

I thought I would start with either an LQ4 or LQ9 block. I am not opposed to and 5.7 block but I don't necessarily need the aluminum block for weight. Plus I figured the iron block would cut on costs and give some margin for machine work if needed.

An area I need some assistance on is top-end and intake. I am open to either reworking a set of stock heads or just buying new set in the form of a kit (GMPP, Edelbrock, Trick Flow, etc.). I do have a very low hood clearance so a shorter intake is needed. For example the new tall Holley intakes are out.

I am willing to spend some money on proper cam selection. The car is first a hot rod so a thump style cam is preferred. More important to me though is the torque curve.

If I buy a short block I am open to using stock pistons unless you guys have some recommendations to pull it all together.

Any suggestions on head selection, intake, cam and pistons are welcome. Thanks for letting me throw out the rookie ideas.

KB
Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, from what you are asking, i think this would work perfect:

Stock LQ4

Stock heads with spring, locks and retainer

Pushrods

Peformer RPM intake

MSD 6010 ignition box if 6.0 is pre 2005

As for cam, a TR224R would probably fir your bill, a pretty quick idle, sounds nasty and will not require very much converter. When the gas is mashed, the thing is going to probably give you hell trying to get traction.

Will rev to 6500 is and when you need with zero issues, so, avoid new heads unless peak performance is the required purpose of the engine.

Otherwise, that to me sounds like what you are looking for.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the TR224 I am assuming the TR is for Thunder Racing. Is that correct?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Zones hit it I think.

Since it is going to be a show car you may want to decide if the dual plane has the look you want.

Also like zones said low end traction is going to be a serious issue with such a light weight car. If I were you I would rethink that torque approach and go for more top end. You will be hard pressed to get insufficient low end torque with that set up.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Another vote for lq4
However mill the heads .030
Ls2 head gaskets
LPE GT11 cam
PAC beehive spring
Edelbrock performer rpm intake
850 Holley street Hp carb
Old 02-13-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Or a super Vic intake can also be used in place of dual plane performer.
I've used the gt11 before with a lq4 as described above and let me tell you it will definitely meet your expectations. It pulls very strong. Don't let it's low duration fool you. It's an aggressive cam wot. Acceleration and throttle response is very strong
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS
850 Holley street Hp carb
That is a pretty large carb for that application. I think 750 might be more appropriate.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dual plane intake can tolerate larger cfm carb than single plane usually
Old 02-13-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Either works. The 750 will pull a stronger signal. But if he decides to upgrade parts down the line. Might as well get carb now