Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Its alive !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Its alive !!!

hey guys, its been a while but im back and the 72 has burned some fuel. just a reminder of my project for those that dont remember or didnt know about it.....72 camaro w a ls3 crate motor, comp lsr 269 cam(219-235 at .050...607-621 lift...113), vic jr w fast ez-efi, hustler long tubes, 2004r trany, 3.42 posi...pro touring style. its been a long road to get this thing put together and im not done yet, although im getting there. i still have to paint it and do the interior but the suspenion, new wiring, body work, dash, rearend rebuild and install, after market 13in. 4 wheel disc brake system, engine install and all the body stiffeners (weld in subframe connectors, custom home built front end braces) are all done. on the 19th of july i finally turned the key for the first time and she fired right up settling into my preset (on the fast ez controller) 850 rpm idle. guys, this thing is a sleeper. 500+ flywheel hp and idles like my stock cammed 05 gto. now for the bad part....i had built a splice to go in the upper radiator hose to connect to the steam vents on the heads and after i realized i have the automatic cooling fans wired wrong, i walked to the front of the car to blip the throttle one time before i shut it down and the splice blew at 223 degrees. i guess u all can figure out what happened next. im going to have more computer time for a while, while these 2nd degree burns that cover my arm from my palm to my short sleeve shirt line heals. moral of the story....never build a splice pipe without some sort of knerls or ribs or something to hold that hose on. dont just trust the clamps. the good news is i dont think i hurt the engine. yesterday i walked back out to the garage and touched the key and she fired right up. all thats left to do now is wait to heal, then get her and the garage prepped for painting. i figure a should be able to make the turkey rod run in fl.in november. sorry i dont have the computer skills or equipment to post up any pics, but thanks guys for the imput back when i was figuring this thing out.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear you got burnt, hope you heal quick so you can enjoy your ride.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man, i m trying to take care of it the best i can, but its driving me crazy to not be able to work on my ride. i waited months to hear that thing run and within 15 mins of reaching that goal i got put on garage restriction. it sux!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A guy once recommended always hooking up a garden hose to the outside of the radiator anytime you start a motor for the first time. Seems like good advice to me. Definitely would have helped in your case. good luck it only got your arm and none into your eyes.

That thing ought to get on down the road when you are done.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

luckly i turned my head before the water got there. as hard as it is to beleave, i saw the hose come apart. it hit me on the back of my head, down my left side, my left arm and leg. it felt like i caught on fire. my side and leg feel like a mild sunburn, but my left forearm is one big nasty blister. its some nasty looking stuff. dont feel so good either. thank goodness for hydrocodone and silver sulfadiazine cream, oh and a wife and kids that love to take care of me.im just thankful they werent in the garage with me. my 12 yr old son and just walked out of the garage to tell his buddy next door we had the car running.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics..?
Old 07-22-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry , i dont have the setup to send pics on the computer. im just not a big tecnology guy. to be honest i dont even know what it would take to post pictures.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Launching!

nice project! I see you're running a 200-4r also. My motor is a '09 LY6 crate motor with the EFI and VVT removed. It's an iron 6.0 that has the same heads as a L92/LS3.

on the pics....its not too hard. I'm a bit longer in the tooth then the average member around here and even I can do it.

a digital camera or cell phone w/camera will generally do it. then you just have to upload the pics to a free site somewhere, to "host" the images online for you.

my '68:

Old 07-22-2011, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

i had a sbc radiator hose pop off the intake housing and spray me in face and down my arm at bout 190 degrees. your right it feels like your on fire. take care of those battle wounds and get back after it!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys and i will look into figuring out the pic thing. ive got some company coming in next week. between them and my wife, maybe i can get some pics posted up.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh yea, tx oldskool, very nice truck! that happens to be my favorite body style in chevy trucks. step shortbed and all. by the way how do you like the 2004r? this is my first one and obviously i havent tested it yet. im running the b&m adjustable lock up controller on mine. im hoping it will give me some real control of the lockup .
Old 07-23-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=TXoldskool;15184673]nice project! I see you're running a 200-4r also. My motor is a '09 LY6 crate motor with the EFI and VVT removed. It's an iron 6.0 that has the same heads as a L92/LS3.

on the pics....its not too hard. I'm a bit longer in the tooth then the average member around here and even I can do it.

a digital camera or cell phone w/camera will generally do it. then you just have to upload the pics to a free site somewhere, to "host" the images online for you.[QUOTE]

I also would like to compliment you on your truck. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind? Do you have any idea what it weighs, as it sits? Also, one other thing caught my eye that has caused lots of arguments/discussions on this forum. I'm surprised that no one noticed you are running the GM dual plane on your L92 type heads. I always thought this intake would work great on just such a street rig as yours. How is it working out for you? (the intake) Ron
Old 07-23-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey ron, i noticed the intake also. i was just afraid to ask about it, cause the prject money is just about dried up........oh by the way, remember when u were waiting to see if the ez efi would leave flatfooting from a stop? after doing all the studying on it, in the advanced tuning section of the manuel ,u can easily adjust the presqirt on the injectors to give her all the fuel it needs to go when u let her fly. kinda like changing the acc pump cams , sqirter size, or acc pump size on a holley. i will let u know how that does as soon as i get healed up.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys! The 200-4r works great except mines a leaker.
I need to get it fixed (I've already fixed several leaks its had) so I can take it to the track. That said, I like the 200-4r gearing over the turbo350 I was running and love having an OD. I haven't messed with the lockup yet...just driving it as a 4sp auto. Haven't weighed the truck yet but am guessing based on what others have said... around 3800lbs?

The intake is awesome! Or at least I think so. I waited almost a year for it as GMPP advertized it in two catalogs before finally releasing it. I reasoned that it would be the best choice for the combo I was putting together. Seems most everyone is running the single plane intakes vs a dual plane. So far the combo is very streetable yet turns into a monster when its opened up. Traction has been a big issue. My 383 sbc stroker could spin the 275/60-15's easily from a stop or slow roll in 1st... but this LSx does it in from even a 30mph roll and even half thru 2nd...even with the gas tank now behind the rear axle instead of behind the seat!

anyway I have been pleased with the new motor and trans and I am looking forward to having it dyno'd someday. The tune is close...but I could use an expert to dial it in all the way. And as for the intake............well enjoy!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

well guys , i went out to the garage late this afternoon, fixed the wiring on the cooling fans and fired her up. i dropped the idle to 750 rpm and the thing still idles like a stocker. im almost mad about it. its kinda cool to have the sleeper vibe happening, but im use to loopen in a hotrod. im really thankful i didnt hurt the motor though. im really lookin forward to laying the throttle down to see if it runs harder than it sounds!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newschool72
hey ron, i noticed the intake also. i was just afraid to ask about it, cause the prject money is just about dried up........oh by the way, remember when u were waiting to see if the ez efi would leave flatfooting from a stop? after doing all the studying on it, in the advanced tuning section of the manuel ,u can easily adjust the presqirt on the injectors to give her all the fuel it needs to go when u let her fly. kinda like changing the acc pump cams , sqirter size, or acc pump size on a holley. i will let u know how that does as soon as i get healed up.
I guess I'm not the only one who notices things. LOL I really do want to know how the EZ EFI performs, under all kinds of different circumstances. I've downloaded the instructions for both it and the one made by Professional Products...Powerjection lll. The main thing stopping me is finding a way to run a return line. ( '34 Ford coupe...very cramped space) I gave up on the L92 heads, BIG single plane intake on my 6.0 and went back to #243's with lite valves and a dual plane. LOVE IT! Much more fun to drive. Yea..I know..I'm going to catch it for that statement. Don't care. Really glad to see you got your car going. Sorry about the burns. I do kind of regret not trying one of those dual planes on my L92 heads....from what *TXoldskool* says, it might have worked out. Good luck on yours.

Ron
Old 07-24-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

the return line scared me alittle on mine as well, until i looked closely at my fuel tank. i guess it was some sort of emissions ports, but my factory style tank has 3 extra nipples built in. 2 are on either corner and stop just inside the tank. i used those for vents, running hose from each around the tank and attached them to the filler neck. the other line went inside the tank running across and turns down at the base of the filler neck, which is a good distance from the fuel pick up. that is where i connected the return line. all i had to buy was some rubber hose and a few clamps! some things are just meant to be. i saw that you had your l92s, cam and intake up for sale. im glad you like your new set up. i will still let you know how the set-up works out when i get this thing finished. David