Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carb guys- help needed lsx454

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O.N.
tell me which will breath better a single pissy little carb or a twin highrise.
as i said on day 1 of this thread it s a ******* LSX454 go all out save the coin build it right. **** im making 620rwhp with a fast to keep it under bonnet if your going out of the bonnet go bigger.
one more time...

He doesn't need a sheet metal manifold with two throttle bodies. As a matter of fact, I can think of countless examples of "single pissy little carbs" making north of 900hp on engines smaller than this one, larger than this one, whatever. It is all about volumetrics and you do not need two 2000cfm throttle bodies, let alone one to meet the requirements of his engine. You match up the size of the engine with the desired engine speed and determine what it will take to feed it. Of course it is a little more complicated than that, but you get what I am saying. As a matter of fact, the heads on it would not do such an intake justice in the least. I would put money on it that it would actually not go down the track as fast as it would with a "single pissy little carb" and 4150 manifold. To make use of such a manifold as you suggest, you would need a camshaft that would run that engine at peak power of 9500rpm+ and of course the heads should be worth using a camshaft in that range. It is hardly what this guy is looking for.

I am not sure where all this talk about his bonnet/hood came in. I know for a fact the Vic Jr. will fit with no issues. As a matter of fact a Super Vic will fit with a drop base air cleaner. Ask me how I know...
Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

this isn't a stock crate motor though is it...lol
we are talking about a stock crate and making the most of it, sure my fat GTO will run that fast with better heads too.

see here for a FAT GTO DOING IT:
Bit quicker than your little single carb and pushing a much heavier car the back seat is still int his thing....lol full interior, air con everything except for race seats add to that the weight of a cage he is over 4000lbs.

And this isn't the fastest i have seen here in Australia i have seen 7.2 all motor N/A in a ute run by Nathan Higgins who does most of the head work for our V8 Supercars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA-uszLNcsU

Did you really just compare a full race car to the street car, hydraulic pump gas camaro i posted? You are showing a 9000 RPM screamer, that is race fuel, mechanical cam and the works.....you need to read the details, where is the all motor, 93 octane 9.4 second GTO that doesnt exceed 7000 RPM and gets street driven?

Im am probably done with this debate before i got started.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Im am probably done with this debate before i got started.
No worries Zone. This should have never really been a debate in the first place. The original 454" motor was released in 1970. Over the last 43 years ever conceivable induction scenario known to man has been played out on that displacement size. Anyone with any experience knows what the most successful combination is in practical application. There is a big difference between practical experience and supposition.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedtigger
There is a big difference between practical experience and supposition.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 AM
9 Second Club

full interior, air con everything except for race seats add to that the weight of a cage he is over 4000lbs.
He is roughly making 1300hp with that ET at that weight.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Ok first of I wil start off by saying than you to all that have wrote in here. The info has been great. I will start off by saying that I went with this motor as I didnt want to be just another in the crowd. No offense to anyone else, I want the wow factor. I have to much money invested now to start changing anything...including the hood. I do not want some fullout race setup, whether it will make 50 or 1,000 more horsepower. The car will 75-80% be a daily cruiser 25-30% racing. With that being said I was trying to cut out costs right now from the motor and future costs that tuning, ecu..wiring..ect would be. Carbs make more power and are very easy to find used, cheap new..ect. I do want something that will fit under the hood without modification. I would had have bought what I needed or close to what I needed to go efi if I had not just bought these...

I am also saving for my t56 magnum and all compents for that (6K+). If I can save a couple thousand here and there then great, that was the point behind going carbd. Easy to install, cheaper, used parts avalible.. the pros outweight efi in my eyes atm. Can someone provide me the info to make a super vic mount to my motor..? and a link to a drop base..?? Thank you, Steven
Old 10-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boostin05blacksti
Can someone provide me the info to make a super vic mount to my motor..? and a link to a drop base..?? Thank you, Steven
Why the fascination with trying to adapt the Super Victor for use with your LS7 heads? The Super Victor is simply not the correct intake to use with that head design.
The Super Victor is for cathedral heads, not the raised rectangular ports of your (LSX454) LS7 heads.

Cathedral vs L92 vs LS7

GMPP 19244033 is the intake that you need to run, as it is designed for use with the LS7 head on a standard deck height engine.

AFCO drop base air cleaner
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFC-80550/?rtype=10
Old 10-08-2011, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Just curious have you ever seen a carbed version on an engine dyno that isn't associated to GMPP and their marketing......I'm not sure if i doubt the figures hell those same figures sold me on buying one for my GTO but for some reasons after seeing an engine dyno on here recently as i said above....but i cant find which thread now it was more like 570hp @ the flywheel.
I'm having a 502cid RHS built - carb'd - Braswell 4150-style carb, 1050cfm, gigantic all pro heads, gmpp lsx tall deck intake manifold fully ported. Pump gas, hydraulic roller

I guess I should be lucky to get 500hp, eh =(
Old 10-18-2011, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's his damn car and his wallet..... How about we help him with his questions and not try to sell him on stuff that he has already clearly stated that he doesn't have the cash for. Yes its a $10,000 engine but **** happens (life,kids,family) and not everyone has bottomless pockets.

Quick Reply: Carb guys- help needed lsx454