Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carb guys- help needed lsx454

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb guys- help needed lsx454

hey guys so heres the deal. Im building a 67 camaro and just had a son. my funds are not what they used to be. I was setting the car up for fuel injected, but im not to far into it and think I can change pretty easy if there is some savings to be had. Heres what I know so far as far as price goes

tb - 550
wiring /all sensors - 1200
fuel injectors - 550
fuel rails - 190

Carb-??
Wiring-??
Intake -??
anything else needed?

I am basically trying to get an idea of what I will need to go carbed if I was to. I know I will have to get my fuel pump changed out of my ricks tank as I have a high flow atm. I can also sell my fast intake to get some money together for another intake, carb...ect. Im basically looking to make a real list and see what it will cost approximitly. Thanks for all the help, Steven

Old 09-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Holley HP 950 $750
Carb Heat Isolator $25
Carb inline fuel filter $35 - $100
Holley Regulator $35 - $85
MSD 6010 or 6012 $350
Air Cleaner Assembly $25 to $100
Fuel Lines and fittings Steel lines & Brass Fittings - $75
or
Fuel Lines and fittings Russell/Aeropquip - $250 or more
1 carb rebuild kit for spare parts and when the gaskets tear when changing jets. $40
A couple packs of jets for tuning $20

If you are plumbed for a return line, you can use the same fuel pump with a by pass regulator.

What kind of trans are you running? If it is a late model automatic, you will need a trans controller. If it is an older automatic with detent or throttle valve, you will need brackets for the throttle. If it is a manual - no worries.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Holley HP 950 $750
Carb Heat Isolator $25
MSD 6010 or 6012 $350
or
1 carb rebuild kit for spare parts and when the gaskets tear when changing jets. $40

If you are plumbed for a return line, you can use the same fuel pump with a by pass regulator.

What kind of trans are you running? If it is a late model automatic, you will need a trans controller. If it is an older automatic with detent or throttle valve, you will need brackets for the throttle. If it is a manual - no worries.
Wow..seems cheaper to me. What intake do you recommend? How much do they usually run? I have not ran any fuel lines yet so I can still decide on that. I'm pretty sure I have to change my pump on my tank out if I decide to do this correct?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by boostin05blacksti
Wow..seems cheaper to me. What intake do you recommend? How much do they usually run? I have not ran any fuel lines yet so I can still decide on that. I'm pretty sure I have to change my pump on my tank out if I decide to do this correct?
Victor Jr would be the intake for that set up.

As I said, you can use a high pressure fuel injector style pump if you have a return line fuel system and a carburetor style return fuel pressure regulator. This is what I have.

For the amount of difference in price, I would really ask myself are you a carb guy. Carb set ups are really a different final product than fuel injection.

Fuel injection, once it is tuned properly, is a set it and forget it deal. Cold starts and weather changes are all handled by the computer. No worries.

Carbs can be fussy when you first start the car. Getting one well tuned takes some know how. And, they might screw up every so often with a needle and seat failure or such.

If you are a tinkerer and you don't mind lovin' on the carb now and again, then great. If once the car is done, you don't want to have to mess with it. I would stick with injection.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

super victor or mast intake if you have the $$$
1000 or 1050 quick fuel 4150 Q series mechanical secondary carb minimum
then a QUALITY carb pressure regulator with return since you're running a high pressure pump. The return line should be -8 at least, along with the send line.

Or buy a magnafuel pro star 300 pump, sump your tank and run a single line up front to a magnafuel regulator that is a dead head. Might cost more initially but you save on all the an fittings and the extra line ran to the front.

I would NOT run a vic jr on that many cubes, but that's just me.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

hey guys so heres the deal. Im building a 67 camaro and just had a son. my funds are not what they used to be. I was setting the car up for fuel injected, but im not to far into it and think I can change pretty easy if there is some savings to be had. Heres what I know so far as far as price goes

tb - 550
wiring /all sensors - 1200
fuel injectors - 550
fuel rails - 190

Carb-??
Wiring-??
Intake -??
anything else needed?

I am basically trying to get an idea of what I will need to go carbed if I was to. I know I will have to get my fuel pump changed out of my ricks tank as I have a high flow atm. I can also sell my fast intake to get some money together for another intake, carb...ect. Im basically looking to make a real list and see what it will cost approximitly. Thanks for all the help, Steven

Some of your estimates are way too high. Injectors are around $400 and you can get your wiring and sensors for half what you listed. Just get a good used engine harness off ebay and mod it yourself. Right now, Racetronix has an injector sale going on 42lb injectors for $35 each.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
Those intakes are very very tall. His vision for this car may not include a giant hood scoop.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Victor Jr would be the intake for that set up.

As I said, you can use a high pressure fuel injector style pump if you have a return line fuel system and a carburetor style return fuel pressure regulator. This is what I have.

For the amount of difference in price, I would really ask myself are you a carb guy. Carb set ups are really a different final product than fuel injection.

Fuel injection, once it is tuned properly, is a set it and forget it deal. Cold starts and weather changes are all handled by the computer. No worries.

Carbs can be fussy when you first start the car. Getting one well tuned takes some know how. And, they might screw up every so often with a needle and seat failure or such.

If you are a tinkerer and you don't mind lovin' on the carb now and again, then great. If once the car is done, you don't want to have to mess with it. I would stick with injection.
I am a tinkerer so this doesnt bother me at all. The car will mainly be seeing the road from spring to fall. Never rain or winter unless its an emegency. Are carbs that finkey?

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
then a QUALITY carb pressure regulator with return since you're running a high pressure pump. The return line should be -8 at least, along with the send line.

Or buy a magnafuel pro star 300 pump, sump your tank and run a single line up front to a magnafuel regulator that is a dead head. Might cost more initially but you save on all the an fittings and the extra line ran to the front.

I would NOT run a vic jr on that many cubes, but that's just me.
Thank you for your input. I cant seem to find a link to get info or buy the super victor that will fit my motor...The mast is out of my price range atm. I spent a lot on the fast 102 lsxr and for what I sold that I would like to get the main of what I needed to go carbed. Again im not trying to underpower the car at all. I just want to spend my money wisely is all. The super victor is what around 500-600$ and can support my motor with what it needs? Id like to make around 600 at the wheels if possible but still use pump gas and have decent street manors. The car will see the track 3-4 times a year, but I want to be able to drive it there and drive it home, some tweeking is ok. The carb you recommended seems to be geared twords drag racing ..correct.? How would the street manors be?

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Some of your estimates are way too high. Injectors are around $400 and you can get your wiring and sensors for half what you listed. Just get a good used engine harness off ebay and mod it yourself. Right now, Racetronix has an injector sale going on 42lb injectors for $35 each.
I may be but from what I have read and maybe im lazy but is it not easier to keep like companys together...fast intake, injectors, fuel rails. Then I know it is all compatable. When you start mixing and matching parts I know it can get pricey and become a headache. Thats what Im trying to avoid, wasting money, selling , rebuying..ect.. I could do my own harness but to be honest Im not sure what I need to pull it from?...truck, gto, camaro, corvette..??? To be honest I have not done enough reading... Because I cant find a lot of people with my set up it makes it hard to find good solid info. Its easier for me to pay speartech 1200+ and let them do the leg work, then I know its correct. Trust me im all about saving a buck and if I had a 100% solid answer I would just do that. Im pretty sure I have a 58x crankshaft reluctor...correct?

Those intakes are very very tall. His vision for this car may not include a giant hood scoop.
I already have my hood bought and I do not plan on running any type of scoop. I read some reviews on the vic jr and Im thinking that will underpower my motor. It says only good to 600...I plan to make that at the wheels or close to. Will the super victor be to tall of a setup for my hood? Heres my hood.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not sure that cowl would be tall enough to support a super vic?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like around a 2 inch cowl to me, correct? I have a 2nd Gen Camaro (73) and to fit a Vic Jr under my 4 inch cowl hood, I have to run a drop base air cleaner. I know it's not a rrue apples to apples comparison since mines not a first gen, but should give you some frame of reference. Maybe 3pedals can let you know how his Victor Jr fits in his 67? I know he has a cowl hood but not sure how high his is. Of course from there you'll then have to determine how much taller the Super Vic is over a Jr. I know that info is on here somewhere too. Best of luck.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Looks like around a 2 inch cowl to me, correct? I have a 2nd Gen Camaro (73) and to fit a Vic Jr under my 4 inch cowl hood, I have to run a drop base air cleaner. I know it's not a rrue apples to apples comparison since mines not a first gen, but should give you some frame of reference. Maybe 3pedals can let you know how his Victor Jr fits in his 67? I know he has a cowl hood but not sure how high his is. Of course from there you'll then have to determine how much taller the Super Vic is over a Jr. I know that info is on here somewhere too. Best of luck.
Correct. Its a 2inch cowl. From what Im reading I think Ill have a hard time fitting the super under there without crazy cutting/modding. Ill have to look into 3pedals. Im going to serch his name. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take your time save your money and build it how you want, you dont need to have the thing up and running by the end of the month or anything, you obviously work hard and play hard too, so just build it to how you want. your talking a few dollars saved by going carb then you have to sell the fast manifold aswell. its only a few dollars difference.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by O.N.
take your time save your money and build it how you want, you dont need to have the thing up and running by the end of the month or anything, you obviously work hard and play hard too, so just build it to how you want. your talking a few dollars saved by going carb then you have to sell the fast manifold aswell. its only a few dollars difference.
Your right I dont. But the more I think about how much more I need the more I realize how much easier/cheaper it would be to get this thing running with a carb. My biggest issue atm is that my 2 year warrenty for my motor has been ticking for 6 mths already. After 2 years if there are problems your beat. If I get beat for 9500+ you better believe Im going to be kicking myself that it took so long to get it started...which again comes back to cash. or shall I say lack there of.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it took me 3 years to get my crate motor running. 2 at least. I wouldn't worry about warranties. Chances are nothing will happen and even worst case it won't take $9500 to rebuild any damage.

Some of that stuff, like fuel lines and the fuel pump, you have to buy for either option. So not really a discriminator. For EFI you will need to budget for a lap top and some type of tuning software. If not you are paying someone hundreds of bucks everytime you change something significantly. For the carb you will most likely want to invest $200-$500 in a wideband O2 sensor. They make a huge difference tuning the carb.

Like someone said for the EFI sourcing used carb stuff will save you a bunch of money. You are at a bit of a disadvantage cause you do need such a big carb. But IMO buying a used carb is less risky than buying used EFI stuff.

Carbs are not that finicky, but they definitely not as set and forget as EFI. If you aren't spraying it or tuning for every last bit of HP then you can easily find a good overall tune that you don't need to monkey with too much. The carb will be cheaper if you do go up in HP for some reason. Jets are much cheaper than new injectors.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Holley HP 950 $750
Carb Heat Isolator $25
MSD 6010 or 6012 $350
or

Hey speedtigger when you said holly 950. Which one would be best for my setup? I have a lead on a 80496-1 http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-80496-1/10002/-1 for around 500..and was considering but what to make sure it the correct one for me...thanks Steven
Old 09-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Old School Heavy

Hey speedtigger when you said holly 950. Which one would be best for my setup? I have a lead on a 80496-1 http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/0-80496-1/10002/-1 for around 500..and was considering but what to make sure it the correct one for me...thanks Steven
That is a nice peice. It is the holley Race 950.

There is also a holley street 950 HP http://www.holley.com/0-82951.asp

The street 950HP might be a better choice as it is calibrated for the street. This likely means a leaner idle and is set up to run better with smaller camshafts whereas the race version will likely be fatter cruising around and may not be as happy at idle with a smaller street type camshaft.

The street HP can be bought brand new for $550:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-82951

I am not sure exactly what all the calibration and features differences are. I am sure that the 80496 could be tuned to meet your needs. It just might be easier to start with a street HP.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

My hood on the TA barely clears the Vic Jr with a drop base cleaner:

Old 09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

My Vic jr with a aircleaner with a drop plate the top part touches the slope from my cowl, but now im gonna have to make some custom setup since i put a spray plate on now...I have a 2 1/2 Cowl hood on my car
Old 10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

So after doing some reading and digging I can not seem to find the super victor that fits ls7 heads. Can someone point me in the right direction please?.. . Also Im guessing that any of the options for going carbed are going to run into clearance issues with my hood correct? Some pictures of setups would give me a better idea.. Thanks, Steven
Old 10-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So after doing some reading and digging I can not seem to find the super victor that fits ls7 heads. Can someone point me in the right direction please?.. . Also Im guessing that any of the options for going carbed are going to run into clearance issues with my hood correct? Some pictures of setups would give me a better idea.. Thanks, Steven

Look at the GMPP LS7 intake 19244033, as that is what is recommended for the LSX454.

Quick Reply: Carb guys- help needed lsx454