Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Which intake and controller?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which intake and controller?

Which carb intake do most of you guys prefer? I know Edelbrock has the RPM and Victor Jr. and GM has a dual and single plane intakes for the LS1. I plan to run a mild cam(TS 220) and this is going into a 68 C10 truck to be street friendly. Which intake do you recommend?

Also, which timing controller is better? MSD 6LS or the Edelbrock? From what I can tell, the MSD has a few more features and is programmable, while the Edelbrock just has preset curves.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Teching In

The dual plane is better for street use. Better power in the lower RPM range.
The MSD is the way to go for the reasons you mentioned.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have great deals on both the MSD 6LS boxes as well as the Edelbrock intakes, PM me for info
Old 01-23-2012, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

I bought the Edelbrock 2908 from Jegs, which has the Vic Jr and the Edlelbrock controller, I'm getting rid of my controller and buying the MSD because it's programmable. The chips that come with the Edlbrock all end up at 36 degrees total timing according to the guys @ their tech support,and from what I'v read on here, that's alot for the LS engines.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Teching In

I went with the Edelbrock dual plain because of lower RPM range, like Vette talked about. But I am mainly going to cruise, if you are going for the horsepower number, you should look through some of the combinations these folks have put together with the single plains. Some very impressive numbers out there.

I purchased the MSD box for the reasons that Tommy pointed out.

IMO: do yourself a favor and at lease ask Mike for a quote, I looked around and went with Mike for these parts.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Super Chevy did a comparison on a 6.0L.
Single vs. Dual Plane-6.0L LS1 Since we ran the 6.0L LS1 in carbureted form, we decided to run the time-honored test of single vs. dual-plane intakes. In the single-plane corner was the GMPP intake, while Edelbrock supplied a Performer RPM dual-plane intake. As we have come to expect, the single-plane intake made the most peak power, but the dual-plane produced exceptional torque. Down at 3,200 rpm, the dual-plane intake offered an extra 44 lbs-ft of torque. The single-plane took over from 4,800 rpm on up, bettering the dual-plane by 10- to 12-hp. The decision comes down to where you want your power. For most street applications, the extra 44 lbs-ft will be much more beneficial than the extra 10-12 hp at the top of the rev range. For those looking to maximize power production, the single-plane puts up the big peak number.
Single planes take over at about 5000 rpm while a dual plane puts larger amounts of torque in lower rpm. For a street car, you want the lower rpm torque. This is what pushes you into your seat when you hit the gas. Cars that go to the strip want the higher rpm horsepower. You need to really look at what the car will be used for and not just look at max horsepower. A car that can make 50-100 lb-ft of torque at 3500 rpm will do much better on the street than a car that makes 50-100 more horsepower at 7000 rpm on the street. How often does anyone wind it that high on the street?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, this is mainly a cruiser. In fact, for the time being, I'm hooking this up to the TH350/3.07 rear gear combo currently in the truck. It looks like the dual plane FTW for me.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm doing a 69 cst with a ls1 and the following mods...tr224 on a 112 lsa,dual plane edelbrock with a stock out of the box 750 holley vacum sec. and a 700r4 trans with a factory vet conv.(stalls a little over 2000)with a 308 rear gear....and a edelbrock box...because i got a great deal on it...should make good all around power and hopefully good fuel mileage(in the 20's mpg)not beating on it....
Old 01-24-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I just can't help myself getting back into this single vs. dual plane argument.

LS motors have a good bit more low end torque than the first gen motors to begin with. Even with a single plane you will already be making more torque than a non-stroker first gen small block. More importantly, LS motors have roller everything valve trains and 15° valve angles. This means they like to rev and produce power up top.

Don't fall into the "need more low end torque" argument brought over from the first gen SBC world. You need to ask yourself whether your car can even hook with all the low end LS torque it is going to have. If you run a single plane you will still have plenty of low end grunt, but more importantly your future upgrades will still be able to fully utilize the RPM range of these motors. Also remember that unlike the first gen small blocks the overwhelming majority of LS motors will be hooked to some type of overdrive trans with more than 2 or 3 gears. You are not going to lose 3000 RPM with every shift. The single plane will still let you lug around town, but when beat on allow you to still sing when in the upper octaves.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Good points, but what I'm getting at is with the huge plenum of the single plane, flow is very slow in the lower RPMs. There are multiple complaints on this forum with single planes feeling anemic in the lower RPMs. You have a point though, if the engine is built with the right combo of parts it will function fine. I think most people end up with the wrong cam IMHO. If you can hook up the power, the dual plane is the way to go for the street. It's also a bit cheaper to build as well. I know the single vs dual has been argued more times than I can count and ask 10 engine builders their opinion and you may get a 50/50 response. The engineers who know more than I design both for a reason. They are also the ones who determine which intake works best in an RPM range. In any case, good information Pop N Wood.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Graybeards64

IMO: do yourself a favor and at lease ask Mike for a quote, I looked around and went with Mike for these parts.
You are too kind Jeff! Thanks!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the Edelbrock dual plane on mine, and use it in combination with a Holley Commander 950 TBI. Works OK, but the whole fuel and spark map programming thing is really starting to irritate me. The 950 wants to control spark, but the Edelbrock controller only has the preset curves.

(early mock-up picture below)

Old 01-26-2012, 01:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1981TA
I went with the Edelbrock dual plane on mine, and use it in combination with a Holley Commander 950 TBI. Works OK, but the whole fuel and spark map programming thing is really starting to irritate me. The 950 wants to control spark, but the Edelbrock controller only has the preset curves.

(early mock-up picture below)

Looks like you spilled your spegetti on top of that poor motor lol.

Quick Reply: Which intake and controller?