Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Temporarily plugging outlets on a Holley dead head reg?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Temporarily plugging outlets on a Holley dead head reg?

I'm preparing to install a single N20 plate kit on my Camaro later in the year and I want to start out by first getting my fuel system set up for it. Right now I've got an Aeromotive A1000 pump feeding a 13204 bypass regulator with one side blocked and the other feeding my carb. But for my nitrous install I want to set it up like pictured below, except using Holley 12-803 regulators instead of the Aeromotive 13201s.

So my question is........will it be OK to plumb 15psi of fuel to my 12-803 regulator for the N20 solenoid, but for now plug both outlets on it until I get my kit installed? It seems like it would be OK since in my mind it wouldn't be much differerent than the fuel being blocked most of the time by a closed fuel solenoid? But I wanted to get some other thoughts as I don't have a lot of experience with these Holley regulators. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

No thoughts one way or the other then?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:02 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like it will work fine to me.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Should be fine since you still have the bypass going to the tank.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies guys. Seemed ok to me but its always good to hear from others too.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good to me.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GC99TA
I'm preparing to install a single N20 plate kit on my Camaro later in the year and I want to start out by first getting my fuel system set up for it. Right now I've got an Aeromotive A1000 pump feeding a 13204 bypass regulator with one side blocked and the other feeding my carb. But for my nitrous install I want to set it up like pictured below, except using Holley 12-803 regulators instead of the Aeromotive 13201s.

So my question is........will it be OK to plumb 15psi of fuel to my 12-803 regulator for the N20 solenoid, but for now plug both outlets on it until I get my kit installed? It seems like it would be OK since in my mind it wouldn't be much differerent than the fuel being blocked most of the time by a closed fuel solenoid? But I wanted to get some other thoughts as I don't have a lot of experience with these Holley regulators. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
If you plan to run 15 psi to the regulator for the fuel side of the nitrous you should also run a small return line , reason being when armed you have 15 psi of fuel pressure deadheading against the regulator. What happens when you hit the throttle on the nitrous all that fuel pressure creates a momentary extreme rich condition, car bogs and kicks out a black smokecloud depending on how large a shot your running. We ran -4 steebraid line from the regulator back to the cell. Used a holley fuel jet as a restriction in the an fitting. What we actually used was a -4 nitrous line. What sizes of fuel line were you going to use. Id use -12 to the first filter thru to the pump , -10 to the return regulator , -10 to the carb regulator , either -6 , or -8 to the carb. only thing i would change there is to use a holley 12-704 regulator, much higher flow rating,also 1/2 inch ntp in and out of it. Also includes 2 -6 to 1/2 st. fittings. Theres a few wiring items that i would do, but your question was about the system setup
Old 04-10-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Prorac1
Looks good to me.
Thanks for the reply Eric.

Originally Posted by quick77
If you plan to run 15 psi to the regulator for the fuel side of the nitrous you should also run a small return line , reason being when armed you have 15 psi of fuel pressure deadheading against the regulator. What happens when you hit the throttle on the nitrous all that fuel pressure creates a momentary extreme rich condition, car bogs and kicks out a black smokecloud depending on how large a shot your running. We ran -4 steebraid line from the regulator back to the cell. Used a holley fuel jet as a restriction in the an fitting. What we actually used was a -4 nitrous line.
Thanks for the reply. So what you're saying is to basically add a jet-restricted return off of the nitrous regulator back to the cell since it will be deadheaded most of the time and could cause pressure creep/pressure surge when the system is activated? That makes good sense. How did you install the Holley fuel jet into the line? Is it just "free floating" inside of the AN fitting or is there some sort of fitting that will hold it in place?

Originally Posted by quick77
What sizes of fuel line were you going to use. Id use -12 to the first filter thru to the pump , -10 to the return regulator , -10 to the carb regulator , either -6 , or -8 to the carb. only thing i would change there is to use a holley 12-704 regulator, much higher flow rating,also 1/2 inch ntp in and out of it. Also includes 2 -6 to 1/2 st. fittings. Theres a few wiring items that i would do, but your question was about the system setup
The majority of the fuel system (everything up to the bypass regulator) is already plumbed and has been for a while. I'm just updating/replumbing the "feed end" of things to prepare for the nitrous system. It is plumbed a little different than the diagram I posted, but that was the closest thing I could find to what I'm trying to do. I say that because I'm actually running an Aeromotive "Stealth" Cell. So the A1000 pump is submerged inside of the cell and the 100 micron prefilter is attached to the pump inlet. So there is no line from the prefilter to the pump to worry about. After that, I have all -8 feed line and return. The feed line comes out of the cell (directly out of the top of the pump) and goes through a 10 micron post filter under the car. From there it feeds forward to the 13204 bypass regulator which is mounted on the front of the passenger side inner fender. From there a -8 return heads back to the cell and a single -6 outlet from the bypass regulator feeds the carb. Here are some pics:

So right now I've got -8 feed and -8 return to/from the bypass regulator. I've got the bypass regulator set at 6.5-7psi with one -6 outlet blocked and the other -6 outlet directly feeding the carb. This works great for me NA.

What I plan to do in preparation for N20 is crank up the psi on the bypass to 15psi or so (lower if recommended) and feed one -6 line from it to a dead head 803 (set to 6.5-7 psi) on a single feed to the carb and a second -6 feed from the bypass reg to a second dead head for the N20 (pressure setting to be determined by system and tune). I will definately consider adding a restricted bypass to this per your recommendation.

From what I gather from your line size recommendation though, are you're saying all of my lines I'm currently running are too small? This is a 550 FWHP (max) motor with no more than 200hp N2O planned. I'm not trying to argue with you.......but just want to be sure that's what you're saying? I really don't want to completely redo what I've done so far with the -8 main feed line and return if it's not necessary. I know Aeromotive recommends a -8 feed, -8 return and a -6 line to the carb for up to 750hp. Up to 1200hp FI or 1500 NA they recommend the same except a -10 feed. Maybe that's where I could have used some more volume? Thanks again......I appreaciate your input!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I went ahead and got it plumbed up. I had to fab a few mouting brackets for the new regulators and assembled a few new lines. All in all a pretty simple project, but it kept my idle hands busy for a little while. I've got the pressure on the bypass only set to 7psi for now and the regulator for feeding the nitrous solenoid is plugged on both sides, but its ready and waiting.........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temporarily plugging outlets on a Holley dead head reg?