Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

started my swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default started my swap

I recently started my swap. You can view it by click the link in my sig. Ill be going the carb route so i guess i will start posting in here. I purchased the vic jr intake today so that should be here soon. I just sold my carb the other day (pre-mature) god i hate when that happens so i guess ill finally get the holley double pumper ive been wanting to get. I got an lq9 out of a 2002 escalade. im not exactly sure what reluctor is in it but i think i need the 6010 msd for it? also i didnt see a crank position sensor so i dont know how i am going to get everything to work together without the distributor.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

It will take the 6010 box.. Excellent engine choice btw it should be super fun!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Beeterolds
It will take the 6010 box.. Excellent engine choice btw it should be super fun!
nice. i was looking at your videos on youtube. you make it sound so simple lmao. im having trouble with the motor mount issue. i purchased dirty dingo adapters to adapt to the chevy mounts. it looked like the mounts i got were going to work with the body mounts in my car but i guess not the mounts i got for the engine side are mounts that were made for early corvettes i just dont know what mounts are going to work for the frame side. and just by eyeing it, it looks like the oil pan is going to be close as hell to my cross member. its turning out a little more tricky than i thought it would be to get the swap going. i still have to cut up my th350 and bolt that bell housing to it. i completely tore the engine down today. i took the ugly truck intake off it got rid of the ac and the power steering since i wont be using them i then proceeded to cut the bracket up for the alternator making it more pleasing to the eye. i painted that for now. I still have to finish cleaning up the engine so i can paint that as well. i am keeping the engine stock for now except for the intake swap and putting the carb on it. i will later put a cam on it and probably get the heads worked, but that will be after i get back from my deployment.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

well i guess i feel like a dumb ***. after a quick search i was able to locate my crank position sensor and my cam position sensor. here is my question now. with hooking up the 6010 msd do i have to use the connectors from my wiring harness that was on the engine and splice a bunch of connections up? I was looking at the pics of the msd on Jegs and it looked like it comes with the new wiring harness req'd to plug everything up. is this true?

Last edited by bdonn8484; 11-27-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep msd 6010 comes with everything you need, only other wiring harness is the original one for starter, igntion, etc. setting up the msd is so simple it's almost too easy. Mine fired on the first try due to the simple nature of the harness. That lq9 is a great engine to start with, good choice. Also I would go with a vacuum secondary carb unless you have a manual or a really light car.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Yep msd 6010 comes with everything you need, only other wiring harness is the original one for starter, igntion, etc. setting up the msd is so simple it's almost too easy. Mine fired on the first try due to the simple nature of the harness. That lq9 is a great engine to start with, good choice. Also I would go with a vacuum secondary carb unless you have a manual or a really light car.

Vacuum secondaries for fuel economy? Oh you just made my day letting me know that it comes with everything including the harness. That is awesome.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Well my Vic Jr intake is out for delivery today. I need to finish getting the engine cleaned up today so i can paint it. I need to list all my extra parts on CL so i can make some money back lol i need to get that 6010 setup and carb asap lol
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

I cant believe its the same motor i started with. the intake is just settting up there for now. i live in base housing and an inspector came by today and **** on my parade so i had to stop until they quit harassing me for being a mechanic.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Shiii makes me want to get out in the garage! Motor looks good. How did you paint it? Where did you read about cutting bracket? Link? Keep it up, looking good!. Btw is it going in that Nova?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks nice man, def a vintage feel to it...
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I have to keep it hush hush for a bit they are onto me for working on it on base. I still have to do the bell housing and motor mounts and i can put it back in, well i have to get a fly wheel too lol
Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so i was able to work peacefully with my garage door shut today. The engine is good to go for now just need to get my hands on a flywheel and im picking up the frame mounts tomorrow that should work out good down in my engine bay. i was able to get the JW bell housing installed without removing the trans and flipping it upside down and pulling the pump out and all that unneeded extra work. anyways here are some pics.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EL T1
Shiii makes me want to get out in the garage! Motor looks good. How did you paint it? Where did you read about cutting bracket? Link? Keep it up, looking good!. Btw is it going in that Nova?
i cleaned it really good and prep sprayed it. i taped everything off and primed it and then painted it with two coats chevy red orange and two coats clear. The bracket uhhhh i didnt read anywhere about it i just didnt need power steering or ac so the power steering bracket i figured i would just cut it down and get rid of the pulley and make it look more appealing to the eye for now. i will get a different front drive system down the road just have to save some money. I think im into this swap at right about 3k so far so im not doing to bad i dont think.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Lookin' good man, lookin' good. Gives me the itch to start another project!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting bracket cut. I'll remember that. So much red it reminds me of the old sbc engines.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Ok i was able to pick up a flywheel today off CL and my "Q" converter will bolt directly to it. My question is am i still going to need the spacer everyone is talking about for this to bold to my th350 trans. From what i have read all lq9's have to shorter cranks.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

anybody
Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you need the spacer for the converter to fully engage the trans. spacer goes between the crank and the flywheel. Only 99-00 iron head LQ4's have the longer crank and dont need the spacer.
sucks that you are getting **** on for working on your car on the base....
Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 3pedals
you need the spacer for the converter to fully engage the trans. spacer goes between the crank and the flywheel. Only 99-00 iron head LQ4's have the longer crank and dont need the spacer.
sucks that you are getting **** on for working on your car on the base....
I was reading a different thread that said the lq9 was pretty much lsx ready and didn't require the spacer for it? Did I read it wrong.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you NEED the spacer on ANY early trans conversion.
the ONLY engine that does not need it is a 99-00 LQ4 that had the .400" longer crank flange. those engines can be identified by iron heads

Quick Reply: started my swap