Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

MSD startup problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD startup problems

I need help. Trying to start my new stroker motor. Using a MSD 6010 box from my 6.0 motor. It appears the motor is out of time. Pops though the carb and kicks back. The new motor has newer block with the cam sensor in front. I extended the wires to the front sensor. I had a 24 toothreluctor installed on the crank of the new motor.
Is there a difference in the crank sensors between the old and newer motors? Is the 24 tooth sensor different than the 58 tooth. If so is my 6010 box compatible to both?

My 6.0 fired right off but this new one is giving me h**l.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Not sure if the crank sensors are different, but I would double check to make sure the connectors for the coils aren't switched around.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Checked those. Cylinder numbers match the cylinders. 1,3,5,7 on drivers side. 2,4,6,8 on passenger side.
I think I read that there are different sensors for cam and crank for early and later model motors. Just wondering if I have the wrong sensors and that they may not be compatible with my box.
I made extensions wires for the relocation of the cam to the front of the new motor. Double checked those to assure I didn't mess up.
I also thought I might have the wrong timing set. Is there any way to check this without removing all the front accessories and covers? Is there a way to check to assure the sensorf is picking up a signal off the timing sprocket?
Old 05-09-2015, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think your issue is with the cam sensors
Old 05-09-2015, 09:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year block do you have? Sounds to me like your going through a lot of BS to try and keep the MSD 6010 when you should have just bought the right box (6012) if it is a gev IV block.

The timing chain set cam gear should have a raised pad on the front to trigger the cam sensor. Some have one large raised others have multiple raised pads. If your cam gear has a bunch of holes with no raised pad then you have the wrong gear for the front mount cam sensor.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

If you find that you cant use the 6010, I would highly recommend looking into the new Daytona SmartSpark box.

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/SmartSpark.html

It looks to be way more advanced than what MSD is offering for LS engines.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Crank sensors are different - black is for 24x and gray is for 58x. Front mounted cam sensors are the same. Cam gear reluctor wheel needs to be "1x" for the 6010. Some front mount conversions need the outer two wires swapped and a resistor between them, can't recall the exact scenario here...
Old 05-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. I'm going to check the crank sensor first. That's easy. If that's not it then I'll pull the front cover and check all that.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had this exact same problem in the past. Look at the connector on the wires that you extended to the front. The wires are labeled ABC. All you have to do is switch the A and C wires and you are good to go. It should fire right up.........Ron
Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Default Daytona smartspark

Originally Posted by LQ4BU
If you find that you cant use the 6010, I would highly recommend looking into the new Daytona SmartSpark box.

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/SmartSpark.html

It looks to be way more advanced than what MSD is offering for LS engines.
Does this replace the MSD box or work in conjunction with it?
Old 05-11-2015, 08:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old55
Thanks guys. I'm going to check the crank sensor first. That's easy. If that's not it then I'll pull the front cover and check all that.

Could you please verify the date of the engine.

Correct me if I'm wrong. It sounds like you have a Gen 1V block with a 24 tooth reluctor on the crank.

Gen 4 blocks did not have a cam sensor spot on rear of the block (thus the front cam sensor) and the oil pressure sender will be on the valley cover.

If that is the scenario, it actually changes your question IMO. Your question should be whether a 24 tooth crankshaft can be retrofitted to the gen 4 block.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:35 PM
9 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...converter.html

24 tooth reluctor will need a 24 tooth sensor. As stated if the cam sensor fail code comes on and it only fires half the time. Then you probably need to switch the two outside wires around on the 3 plug cam sensor connector.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dell72
Does this replace the MSD box or work in conjunction with it?
It will replace the 6010 and the 6012. It mounts the same as the 6010 and you have the choice of using the msd harness you already have or running a full harness. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

It runs!!

But for what it's worth here's a summary of my troubleshooting efforts:
1. Checked with shortblock builder to verify a 24 tooth reluctor was indeed installed. It was verified. Checked for proper crank sensor. It was correct.
2. Removed cam sensor and checked cam sprocket to assure it was a 1X. It was.
3. Called MSD. They gave me instructions that included splicing in the MAP sensor Orange wire to the pink sensor wire and 1K resistor across the two outside sensor wires. This was not a successful fix. Motor refused to fire at all.
4. Called Don Hardy and he gave me instructions to swap the two outside sensor wires. Motor fired right up.

At this point I'm going to remove the MSD "fix" and re-attach the standard pink wires and test with just the outside wire swap.

Thanks for all the inputs and assistance.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Removed the resistor and re-attached the pink wire to the original. Left the two outside wires reversed. Everything is good to go.

Quick Reply: MSD startup problems