Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

DONT sell it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default DONT sell it!!!

Just read a post from Nastyc4 and figured i'd post up b/c of similar experience. Long story short, i've been F-bodyless for 3 years now and it just hit me the other day. I sold mine to try and get ahead....i owned my 99 SS and loved it. Bought it at young age, owned and modded it over 6 years...and then through pressure of friends and family i sold it to try to "grow up". WRONG MOVE! I am no better off 8 years later and finding myself back on this site to start refreshing my memory about all the money and time i put into my car. If i could go back in time, i never would have sold her! I almost want to shed a tear thinking about how long i'm going to have to wait before i have another one at the stage that i had my 99. Anyone else w/ a similar experience feel free to chime in. This is to anyone who is on the fence with either selling to get out of debt....or selling b/c you're bored with it etc etc....if you are a true muscle car fan, you WILL be back....keep what you have now. Safe racing out there!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
Just read a post from Nastyc4 and figured i'd post up b/c of similar experience. Long story short, i've been F-bodyless for 3 years now and it just hit me the other day. I sold mine to try and get ahead....i owned my 99 SS and loved it. Bought it at young age, owned and modded it over 6 years...and then through pressure of friends and family i sold it to try to "grow up". WRONG MOVE! I am no better off 8 years later and finding myself back on this site to start refreshing my memory about all the money and time i put into my car. If i could go back in time, i never would have sold her! I almost want to shed a tear thinking about how long i'm going to have to wait before i have another one at the stage that i had my 99. Anyone else w/ a similar experience feel free to chime in. This is to anyone who is on the fence with either selling to get out of debt....or selling b/c you're bored with it etc etc....if you are a true muscle car fan, you WILL be back....keep what you have now. Safe racing out there!

I have a similar story, but with an import. I sold my 91 Eagle Talon...owned for about 9 years. I finally got it to full race status with full built motor, trans, rear end, etc etc. Car made 700whp and 424 ft/lbs tq. Well due to the amount of money that it took to maintain it, and replacing stupid parts I ended up selling it last March. I took part of the money and paid off my DD. However, I had an emptyness in the pit of my stomach. See, that's all I did was work in the garage. Well long story short, I became bored and feeling of not having a fast car or something to work on started to sink in. Although, that was until I drove my buddies 00 T/A. Well finally after searching I came across my 02 SS. Well since April, I've added some new wheels with shoes, tint, and a Yank high stall converter. More parts are being purchased next week too I can't stop, and I won't stop. Im addicted to ponies. Just thought I would share.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a Camaro for every year i have been driving now.Just sold my 2010 SS yesterday.Not the car i thought it would be but i am on the hunt for a new car as we speak.Just because u get rid of a car does'nt mean u grow up.I f it is what u like to do then screw everyone else.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

and then through pressure of friends and family i sold it to try to "grow up".
I don't see how selling/not selling a car would make anyone grow up. I'm married, in my 30s, and I've got two 4th gen Camaros plus an old muscle car. I still daily drive a 4th gen V8 F-body every day. Maybe some people think that makes me 16? LOL.

Being grown up has nothing to do with the specifics of what you own. It's a matter of how you manage your life and deal with situations.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't see how selling/not selling a car would make anyone grow up. I'm married, in my 30s, and I've got two 4th gen Camaros plus an old muscle car. I still daily drive a 4th gen V8 F-body every day. Maybe some people think that makes me 16? LOL. Being grown up has nothing to do with the specifics of what you own. It's a matter of how you manage your life and deal with situations.
+1. I'm married with four adult children, in my 50's, have two 4th gen Firebirds and two old muscle cars. I drive my stalled A4 Formula daily and love it. When I feel like shifting, I pull out my M6.

Most of my friends and associates are professionals and drive Mercedes, Beemers, and Lexi. I know they smirk at my cars. Do I care?
Old 08-22-2010, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

I went 20 years in between F-Bodies. Bought my 99 SS for my 40th birthday present... Haven't stopped modding it since. I would love to still have my 68 or 70, But I love my 99 SS and would not trade it for anything!!!
Attached Thumbnails DONT sell it!!!-speed-secrets-ss-029.jpg   DONT sell it!!!-101_1709.jpg   DONT sell it!!!-speed-secrets-ss-047.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Perhaps it was a wrong choice of words. Maybe setting my priorities would fit better. I had the $$$ to get the car, but a couple years ago it was time to start thinking about getting a house...didn't have the money for that. Everyone else looked at it as i was childish for keeping a car over selling it to get a house. Now 3 years later i have no house and no car. HAhhahaa...however it's time to get both now!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Perhaps it was a wrong choice of words. Maybe setting my priorities would fit better. I had the $$$ to get the car, but a couple years ago it was time to start thinking about getting a house...didn't have the money for that. Everyone else looked at it as i was childish for keeping a car over selling it to get a house. Now 3 years later i have no house and no car. HAhhahaa...however it's time to get both now!
Do what makes you happy and who cares what everyone else says. Their jealous anyways
Old 08-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Launching!

I can relate. Owned my 94Z for 3 years, modded it, spent hours working on it. Installed my own headers, basic maintenance stuff, but mostly fixing stuff.

But, I had to sell it, since I was still in college, money was tight, and let's just say that LT1's poor design made me poor as well.

I do somewhat regret it, since we had a love/hate relationship, but when love bloomed, it was unforgettable.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can relate as well. I sold my 00 SS thinking I "had" to because I wanted to "change careers." That career did not really pan out, and I was out the Camaro.

I sold my GTO because I wanted to get a house and Camaro. I've got the house, but we got a nicer house than we were planning, so who knows if I can swing another car

Both cars I should have kept. I will do whatever possible to not let it happen a third time (whenever it is I get to that third time).
Old 08-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Launching!

my first car was a 94 3.4 camaro got t-boned in it bought my 98z put a decent amount of money into it then right before I deployed broke the trans come back from deployment since my vette was and is my current money pit sold the camaro as is went around for about a year driving a explorer got tired of it and finally bought my current 01 ss. Wish I never sold my z in the first place. I can't wait to go back home and finally get to drive my vette though.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

i bought my car 5 months ago on the day of my 20th birthday and i can tell you this now... i will NEVER sell my car! i grew up around muscle cars and my car is exactly what i've been wanting so i have no reason to ever get rid of it.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LE35thSS
i bought my car 5 months ago on the day of my 20th birthday and i can tell you this now... i will NEVER sell my car! i grew up around muscle cars and my car is exactly what i've been wanting so i have no reason to ever get rid of it.
I had a VERY similar story, 1 year younger...and i was cocky when i said things like that too, the guy i bought it from said he was selling it to buy a house and a wedding ring for his girl and i remember thinking "wow this guy is nuts!..those are HORRIBLE reasons to sell your baby!" Hahaha, wouldn't you know it 6 years later i do the same thing to attempt getting a house of my own. Thats why i posted this thread...its easy to say it at the time when there are no other obligations...but things will eventually come up. Good luck hanging on to it...that's a sweet lookin SS!
Old 08-27-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

I had a VERY similar story, 1 year younger...and i was cocky when i said things like that too, the guy i bought it from said he was selling it to buy a house and a wedding ring for his girl and i remember thinking "wow this guy is nuts!..those are HORRIBLE reasons to sell your baby!" Hahaha, wouldn't you know it 6 years later i do the same thing to attempt getting a house of my own. Thats why i posted this thread...its easy to say it at the time when there are no other obligations...but things will eventually come up. Good luck hanging on to it...that's a sweet lookin SS!
Thanks man but i'll be 23 when it's paid off and if i get married or what not and something comes up where i would need to sell it i would tell her to get a job
Old 08-28-2010, 07:42 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LE35thSS
Thanks man but i'll be 23 when it's paid off and if i get married or what not and something comes up where i would need to sell it i would tell her to get a job
Ha! I remember when I thought like that. Best of luck.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hahaha, it all sounds too familiar. I owned my SS as well when i sold it...so it wasn't to get out of debt, it was to use the money for a down payment. Hopefully all these stories will help other people better plan for keeping their cars!
Old 08-28-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I sold my 98 Camaro SS to get married and have kids. I now am 31, 2 kids and just got my 99 Camaro Z28. Kids love it. I needed to sell it to afford a house for my family, now that I am older , i can afford the car and everything else. Its nice to have a house too, not living at home. It sucked, didnt have a garage to keep it in at my parents. Now it sits in my garage and stays clean.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Hopefully all these stories will help other people better plan for keeping their cars!
you're definitely helping me out lol. already starting to think 3,5,10 years down the road of what might happen
Old 08-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Launching!

I got my 68 SS coupe at age 13. My dad and I restored it, and it was ready for me when I got my license at 16. I didn't run the Camaro in the winter, I drove a 69 Corvair, fun ride, rear engine rear wheel drive!! I can remember riding my bike over to my grandfathers where we kept it to work on it before I was driving. Counting the years before I could drive the car. I am now 35 and still have the car. I came close to selling it about 10 years ago for
6500. Glad I didn't. I also have a 68 RS convertible that I got in 2000. Took 5 years to get it complete, painted and on the street. My coupe sits under a car port, covered up on the side of my garage. I go out and start her up every couple of months just to burn the spider webs off the headers. I have two boys age 3 and 7 months and it will most likely be many years before I get her back on the road. I've been told to grow up and sell the cars. Never happen. When I was younger my mother used to get pissed at me and tell me that the car was an extention of my personality. Well it is. Only way I would get rid of those cars is if it would somehow benfit my children. I think having the cars and working on the cars with the boys, when that time comes, will benefit them more.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 68 RS Convertible
I think having the cars and working on the cars with the boys, when that time comes, will benefit them more.
Well said! If i ever end up with kids they will learn everything i know.

Quick Reply: DONT sell it!!!