Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Raoul-Dukes' 01 Z/28 Build (Pics/Vid)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raoul-Dukes' 01 Z/28 Build (Pics/Vid)

Hey guys, So just a few fun facts about the car.

I bought my M6 2001 Z/28 back in June 2008 with 53k on her. I left to finish my last 3 years of college that fall and the car now has 75k on it. The car was stored in my garage at home under a cover from Thanksgiving until my birthday in March during the Winters.

Since I graduated in May 2011, I have been looking to modify the car slowly but surely to what I always wanted it to be.

The mods as of right now are:

Slp Lid w Smooth Bellow
Pacesetter Ceramic Longtubes
(Just installed, TSP True Duals)
-Previous setup, 3 ORY, 3' E-cutout, Flowmaster Catback
PCM Tune from NelsonPerformance
(Was very pleased when I had my GTO tuned back in 2007 from them)
BMR Springs on Bilsteins
UMI SFC's and LCA's.
Hotchkis STB
Pro 5.0 Shifter w Shortstick
MSD Wires and NGK Plugs
Free Mods

So my plans, in a nutshell, long term, down the road etc. is basically to run forced induction on this car. I will be throwing in a blower cam this summer from Bob at BruteSpeed. Following will be a MWC 9', then my fuel system, then D1SC, and someday, I hope to build the bottom end so I can up the boost and my dream will be complete.

As for now, I have been making some progress here and there just getting the car to my liking.

Here is how the car sat back in September with the stock Y87 gfx.

I liked how it looked when I bought the car, but for the machine it is going to become. I grew out of it. And got rid of it.

Here is the car after removing the kit.

Pics taken a few weeks back.

Much better I think, but a part of me will always miss the gfx lol

As you can see in the pics the car has true duals installed now. These were installed a little after I took the gfx off.

Last edited by Raoul-Duke; 01-08-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, looks like a completely different car without the lip kit! Finally! Good stuff man. Now get rid of that spoiler thingy!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is how it sounds with the new setup.

Cold start.

http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/...ps38b43f3d.mp4

http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/...ps38b43f3d.mp4

Quick Rev to 5k.

http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/...psa2ecbcc6.mp4

http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/...psa2ecbcc6.mp4

The cameras speakers tend to fail to capture the sound at low rpms lol

Last edited by Raoul-Duke; 01-07-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And a few other things that will be done in the next two months. I will be getting rid of the C5 ZO6 Rims. The guy before me had them put on. I didn't mind the rivets at first because anything over stock rims I'll take.

I picked these up from a member this past Sunday. 11inchs out back, going with MT ET Streets II.

Also I can't really afford a new 9' right now. And since my 10 bolt has a bent axle, posi is shot, and leaking diff. I picked up a 10 bolt from a member here awhile back with 18k on it. I'm having a shop in February out here by me install 28 spline axles, solid spacer, and 3.73 gears.

Quick fix, lets see how long it lasts lol

When the rear end gets installed.

I'm also putting in:

BMR Relo Brackets
Strano 3 way adjustable rear hollow sway bar with front.
UMI adjustable PHB
Koni rear on car adjustable shocks.

After all this, I'll just be waiting for the cam in summer. And I should be content for awhile lol
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamantium
Wow, looks like a completely different car without the lip kit! Finally! Good stuff man. Now get rid of that spoiler thingy!
lol Thanks man. Yeah I'm ditching the headlights and going back to stock soon. The spoiler would be off except for the quarter sized holes it leaves behind. I'm ok with it for now.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
lol Thanks man. Yeah I'm ditching the headlights and going back to stock soon. The spoiler would be off except for the quarter sized holes it leaves behind. I'm ok with it for now.
Im subscribing, you are updating this thread as soon as you mod it? Will look great with the OEM headlights! The vids didn't load for me though. I think those ZR1's would look super fresh in all gunmetal.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamantium
Im subscribing, you are updating this thread as soon as you mod it? Will look great with the OEM headlights! The vids didn't load for me though. I think those ZR1's would look super fresh in all gunmetal.
Yeah I've been meaning to start a build thread for awhile but the holidays hit, then anniversary, finally got around to it now. I was actually thinking about plasti dipping them so they are just all blacked out (No Chrome Lip). But gunmetal is a thought. Hmm I'm going to attempt to fix the vids lol
Old 01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Very nice i personally like the lip kit deal, it was on my car when i got it and i wasnt so sure about it. But its really grown on me. Sounds like a fun project dude, hopefully it goes as expected. goodluck.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Also what are u looking to get out of those c5z's? if u havent already got rid of them.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMTheOnlyWay1
Very nice i personally like the lip kit deal, it was on my car when i got it and i wasnt so sure about it. But its really grown on me. Sounds like a fun project dude, hopefully it goes as expected. goodluck.
Also what are u looking to get out of those c5z's? if u havent already got rid of them.
Thanks man. The sale is currently pending but I'll know whats up by the end of this weekend at the earliest with the following weekend being the lastest. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Nice car. Definitely looks better without the kit. And good decision on going back to the stock headlights, it will look a lot better. Can't wait to see how she ends up, it'll be like therapy for me as I have similar plans as you but I really can't do at the time.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Nice car. Definitely looks better without the kit.
+1 on that! Lookin good!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got my 315's in this past Saturday. Had some issues fitting, and it rubs a lil when I turn. I guess I need to cut the bump stops out and beat the fender a lil. I hope I dont have to roll the fender. So I just garaged the car and will tackle this project this upcoming Saturday.

Mickey Thompsons ET Street II

Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Man that looks a lot better!! Looks good! I think I'll be doing the same soon. What did you end up doing about the holes that were left after the removal of the gfx kit?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blue04SS
What did you end up doing about the holes that were left after the removal of the gfx kit?
This^ I picked up my car with it, thinking about removing it now... still undecided.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Good job getting rid of those C5Z motorsport wheels.... God I hate those wheels. Had them on my FRC when I bought it.... Had the car in my possession for less than 6 hours before I yanked them off...
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue04SS
Man that looks a lot better!! Looks good! I think I'll be doing the same soon. What did you end up doing about the holes that were left after the removal of the gfx kit?
This^ I picked up my car with it, thinking about removing it now... still undecided.
Thanks, Yeah I like it better too. As for the holes, I took my time removing the kit and was fortunate enough to where the holes weren't so bad.

They're def there, but since the car is lowered, I am going to just leave them be until its warmer because they are quite un-noticeable unless you're on top of them. I'll take some more close up pics in a few weeks when I get a few more things finished.

I really don't want to send it to a body shop, I will someday. For now, I may just leave them. Or half *** it as much as I can with a drop of touch up paint. As long as it doesn't add to them looking shitty. lol

Originally Posted by MylesF7
Good job getting rid of those C5Z motorsport wheels.... God I hate those wheels. Had them on my FRC when I bought it.... Had the car in my possession for less than 6 hours before I yanked them off...
Yeah same here lol I mainly hated the rivets, I told myself if there weren't any rivets I prob would have kept them. I'll be sure to post new pics of the Zr1's mounted.

I do have them mounted now but its *** freezing cold out here in Chicago. And this weekend I'm going to be inside my garage cutting out my rear bump stops and BFH'n my inner fender so those MT 315s aren't rubbing. I also want to wait until I get my Whistler'd headlights in.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice ride/build, think you cud snap a few pics while your doing the bfh to get those tires to fit? and add them to the build, several others of us want to do the same, and id like to hear how smooth it goes.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JDEP162
nice ride/build, think you cud snap a few pics while your doing the bfh to get those tires to fit? and add them to the build, several others of us want to do the same, and id like to hear how smooth it goes.
Sure thing man, not a problem. I should have them up over the weekend.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I did the BFH mod and cut my bump stops out yesterday. I used a grinder to cut my bump stops. A sawzall kept getting too close to my shocks/springs. I actually hit both lightly once or twice and that was enough to switch.

My only concern is about the BFH mod, in the area below that is circled.

I took the car out and it doesn't rub anymore when I turn pretty hard (side streets). I wasn't able to go WOT but I did go to 4k a few times and it didn't rub. I checked both outside and inside tire walls.

I am worried that if there is another person in the car, or lets say three people (even though my back seats are out so it would not be too comfortable for them) I am thinking it will rub. Has anyone cut this circled area out before? or how much room do you guys have from this area to the tire?

With the tire mounted and suspension loaded. I was only able to fit one finger width from the tire and this area (1/4 inch give or take) and my finger was snug tight (Thats what she said) But seriously. lol

Before

After-Circled Area?

Driver Side

Passenger Side

I am thinking about hammering that circled area more or cutting it out when I roll my fenders when it gets a lil warmer. At least I can drive the car now.