Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

is there a vat key security bypass

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a vat key security bypass

i lost my key and now i cant get it to do anything is there a way to bypass it i know how to hot wire it but it wont do anything cause the vat tell the motor not to let the fuel pump work and all that so if u know how plaz help
Old 04-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1999camaroz28racer
i lost my key and now i cant get it to do anything is there a way to bypass it i know how to hot wire it but it wont do anything cause the vat tell the motor not to let the fuel pump work and all that so if u know how plaz help
I do believe you can take your registration with VIN# to dealer and they can make you a new key. Worth checking into.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stereo shops sell VATS bypass kits with car alarms - for remote start capability. However, they need to be able to measure the resistance of your key to know which of the 15 resistors it uses. Otherwise, it's trial and error.

So if you have a buddy who works for a stereo shop, he can probably get ya going if you really want to go that route.

Keys are in the $20-$30 range from the dealer. My wife's minivan has a PK3 (Passkey 3 - no resistor, but something in the plastic) system - and her key cost over $40.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you knew your keys resistance, you can go over to radioshack adn buy a $2 resistor and splice it in to the connector at the bottom of the steering colum. i have done it a couple of times for customers that dont want to buy a new ignition cylinder.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Teching In

I lost one of my keys and went to a chevy dealer and ordered a new key ($25). I had the other to make the copy but a couple of years ago my grandmother locked her keys in her car and the dealer was able to provide the local NAPA store with info to make a new one. I'd check a dealer before hacking on your wiring.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

when i first started reading this thread, i was excited to know that it seems almost impossible for someone to steal my car, but knowing that anyone can go somewhere and get these items is not cool. I hope people have to show proof of vehicle ownership for that.

I would recommend going to the dealer also.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

the vats system is a joke, I am having the same problems, I searched the entire web last night at work(no messageboards) and one site was basically how to steal a camaro and vehicles with vats/passkey. Well for 4th gens each key has a resistence value, there are 15 different values. They are listed on the net, and 1 of 15 will start your car. If you have the 15 keys made it is hit or miss to steal the car on the 1st time, but with all 15 the car can be stolen in less than an hour, if the vats makes the thief wait 4-6 minutes per attempt.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JCurtin
the vats system is a joke, I am having the same problems, I searched the entire web last night at work(no messageboards) and one site was basically how to steal a camaro and vehicles with vats/passkey. Well for 4th gens each key has a resistence value, there are 15 different values. They are listed on the net, and 1 of 15 will start your car. If you have the 15 keys made it is hit or miss to steal the car on the 1st time, but with all 15 the car can be stolen in less than an hour, if the vats makes the thief wait 4-6 minutes per attempt.
just get it turned off in your computer.

Ryan.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1999camaroz28racer
Why would you hotwire your own car? Spend the money and get a new key
Old 11-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Default stupid vats

well hey all,I am now going through that same problem but i had a new ignition switch just installed,and I still have a no crank no start situation,so if any of u guys know my next move and dont say dealer,they are so exspensive,please let me know.Thanks
Old 12-15-2006, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

I fitted a new BCM to give me keyless entry about 9 months ago and it was a different vat key number. So I got the 15 vlaues for the resistors and went to a large electrical store and bought the 15 resistors. They only cost pennies, I then unplugged my vats under the dash below the steering wheel.

I then put each different resistor in until I found the right one, then I taped it in there until I could get a key cut with the correct value chip. You will get a surity light when the resistor is wrong and engine start when it's right.

This will bypass vats

Not sure to do for a lost key!

Always have a spare keys cut if your car has one key is a good tip I also have a spare remote aswell.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

It is true that VATS has 15 resistor codes but it will "time out " for ten minutes after a failed attempt so stealing a car in a hour isn't nearly as easy as one might think .
Old 12-16-2006, 02:07 AM
12 Second Club

Mine never timed out, I tried 4 resistors one after the other. The car wil not start after the wrong resistor is tried and the security light comes on then you try the next one.

I could have left it with the correct resistor taped in there and that has by passed vats. Instead I sent off to the USA for the correct number chip key blanks and got them cut to match my key. Then I removed the resistor to restore the vats system.

This would make my car very difficult to steal in the UK because the keys are so different than most UK cars!
Old 12-16-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1993regency98
well hey all,I am now going through that same problem but i had a new ignition switch just installed,and I still have a no crank no start situation,so if any of u guys know my next move and dont say dealer,they are so exspensive,please let me know.Thanks
when this happened to me, I fixed it by wiggling around my starter relay I think it was. In the under-hood fuse box, the two big relays, try wiggling those around and try starting again. Happened a few times on my car first year I had it. Just wiggled that relay to get it to start. The problem went away, hasn't happened in at least 20,000 miles. I have a vats bypass I'll sell you. I bought it on ebay then, but didn't need it after all. Still new in the box.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Teching In

I am wondering if the VATS unit could just go out compleatly. I have a 93 Z28, and it wont crank either. I have took a reading of the key "chip" it read 1.48K OHM. I placed a resister ( 1.5K 5%) across the plug leading to the VATS unit. and still no start. The security light will flash. I did take a reading on the other end of the plug going to the switch, and it read 10.5K with the key on the off spot. I also tapped on the relays located in the engine compartment. And still no go.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 76hearse
I am wondering if the VATS unit could just go out compleatly. I have a 93 Z28, and it wont crank either. I have took a reading of the key "chip" it read 1.48K OHM. I placed a resister ( 1.5K 5%) across the plug leading to the VATS unit. and still no start. The security light will flash. I did take a reading on the other end of the plug going to the switch, and it read 10.5K with the key on the off spot. I also tapped on the relays located in the engine compartment. And still no go.
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key

This where I got my info how to check the Vats key pellet values from and I have all 15 resistors. If you are getting a security light it would look like the vats is no seeing the resistor. Just pull apart the black plug and put the resistor in the side with the orange wires to bridge the two of them. Then tape it in with black tape if it works.

Here where to put the resistor you don't have to splice anything.

I am not saying you are doing anything wrong but have you compared the resistor you have directly to your key pellet to see how close they are. The table for resitor values gives you a range the resistor has to fall between so the BCM will reconise it.

If you have done all this then it looks like it may be time to visit the GM dealer.

Last edited by 99Z28camaroman; 08-12-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:58 AM
12 Second Club

I have just thought of something that could save you a trip to the dealer if you want to try it.

You will have to check if your car is the same as mine as I changed the BCM on my 99 Z28 to give me keyless entry I had to buy all 15 different resistors to find the right one.

You could get a BCM from a breakers yard you may be able to test the original key they came with the car to find out what chip it has. Oh another thing I can't do this because I don't have a GM dealer within easy distant from me is they can reprogram a BCM to match your keys pellet.

I hope some of this is useful to you.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Yea, may just have to buy the 15 resisters. and try them one at a time, just incase my key lost its value.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 76hearse
Yea, may just have to buy the 15 resisters. and try them one at a time, just incase my key lost its value.
Just measure the resistance, then go to radioshack and find the right resistor(s), make take more than one requiring you them in series. I had to do this myself, takes about 10 min.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Start with the easy possibilities. Swap the starter and ignition relays. If it turns over it's a bad relay. That's what mine was. And the security light was coming on too, that doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: is there a vat key security bypass