Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

67 camaro ls headers with zbar

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 67 camaro ls headers with zbar

I have been looking for a set of headers for my ls2 swap for my 67 camaro. I have a stainless works headers set and they will not work with my factory zbar location. I have added a pivot ball to the block. I Do not want to put in a hydr clutch. Have any of you had this problem with the zbar not working with the ls headers. If any of you have uses the factory clutch pedal linkage set up with a stainless set of headers that are 1-3/4 I would like to know what you used. Since I am having to get another set of headers it would be nice to get a step set 1-3/4 to 1-7/8. Also I am using the factory steering box and cross member. I can not seem to find anything on line. I have called a few of them with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails 67 camaro ls headers with zbar-ls2-003.jpg   67 camaro ls headers with zbar-ls2-004.jpg  
Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

I will have to look one day this week at my DynaTechs. Although I'm using a TH350, I might be able to measure or something ?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Doug G
I will have to look one day this week at my DynaTechs. Although I'm using a TH350, I might be able to measure or something ?
That would be great. What are the tube sizes on the dynatech. The one I have seen are 1-7/8. The big thing is if it will clear the zbar. You can see in the picture where the pivot ball is. It is about 1-11/16 forward of the bell housing surface. The zbar has to go straight in to it from the frame. Thanks
Old 10-07-2013, 05:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes...no way that happening with these. 1 7/8" due to the #3 tube goes over #7 and down behind it....was worth a look.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Doug G
Yes...no way that happening with these. 1 7/8" due to the #3 tube goes over #7 and down behind it....was worth a look.
Thanks for looking. I am still beating the bushes. I have just learned that thorley is coming out with a set that is a 1-3/4 stepped to 1-7/8 that will fit with the stock steering and the zbar for my 67 camaro. They are in production now but thorley is slow as molases. Cant get a straight answer when the will be ready or a price. May just have to wait to see what they come up with.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a set of 1 3/4" Doug's Headers for the LS swap in my 69. However, they are coated vs. stainless. I have a sheet of paper's clearance between the rear tube and the z-bar, but it's enough.

Compared to your driver's side header, the rear tube on the Doug's header goes almost straight down from the exhaust port.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gheatly69
I used a set of 1 3/4" Doug's Headers for the LS swap in my 69. However, they are coated vs. stainless. I have a sheet of paper's clearance between the rear tube and the z-bar, but it's enough.

Compared to your driver's side header, the rear tube on the Doug's header goes almost straight down from the exhaust port.
Thanks for the info, Thats some of the info I need to find a set to fit. Thorley still cant give me a price on the stainless step headers. They say when I call they are ready for shipment and they have not established a price yet so they can't sell me set yet. This has been going on about 2 months. I am ready for a set because I cant go any further until I get some.

Update, I think I found the headers you used. Dougs D-3337. Also What bracket did you use to mount the z-bar ball, or did you have the mount in the bell housing.
Any info would help. Thanks

By chance do you have the part # for the set you used. Sound like this set would work for me as well. Thanks

Last edited by homemade87; 11-06-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, sorry for the delay... been busy at work. I used a pivot ball adapter bracket sold by Scoggin Dickey Chevrolet.

The part number I have is SDCB. I remember I had a hard time finding it on their website, so you may need to call. The application is for Mark V big blocks (i.e., the 502). The new BBC doesn't come with the hole in the block to mount the pivot ball, so S-D created this bracket. It was very reasonably priced too and mounts using the two middle bolts on the bellhousing.

You may need to adjust the spacing using washers under the bracket depending on your engine placement relative to stock.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:38 AM
Launching!

ghearty, Thanks for the info on the z-bar mount. I have made me a homemade one that bolts to the engine. I got an update on the thorley headers. I seen a picture from the sema show. The are indeed 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 stepped header stainless. After talking with them they have some in stock ready to ship but cant sell me any yet. They are trying to get the pricing worked out before they can sell . They have been real busy with the sema show. Now that the show is over maybe they will have time to get it worked out. I will keep you posted and post a picture or two if I ever get a set . I hope to get a set soon . My project has come to a stand still. I am not going to do anything on the z-bar and mount untill I get headers.They claim it will clear the z-bar. I will also give update on fittment.

Quick Reply: 67 camaro ls headers with zbar