Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question suspension issues

so, just bought my very first Camaro, it is a 1999 base package v6 automatic. right off the bat I have suspension problems..this is gonna sound crazy so bear with me please....on the rear of my Camaro I have coil springs and no shocks, now I had my brother-in-law say b.s, that's until he looked at everything..he said that its a thousand wonders I have not already been seriously hurt..on the front it has shocks /struts..(newbie, sorry)..BUT..all four coil springs are so badly rusted they are toast..i did the smart thing and I parked it in my driveway and I refuse to drive it until issues are resolved..my question is, whats a ball park estimate to fix this problem??..any info is much appreciated..thank you.....speedracer123
Old 06-20-2014, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, just when you thought you have heard it all...
Ok you GOTTA post pics of this though, you can't just leave us hanging
Easy fix, buy rear shocks. The springs likely just have a bunch of surface rust on them, and are probably not actually damaged. But if you want to replace them look for the factory Moog replacement, or if you don't mind used you could search junk yards for F-bodies and use those springs. Im curious, was the car in a flood? What does the rest of the under body look like?
For shocks you could go to the local auto parts store and just find the cheapest ones they have for the car if you just want to get it back on the road or if you feel its necessary you could get some inexpensive sport shocks like bilsteins (factory option for the V8 cars) http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
Old 06-20-2014, 05:35 PM

well my dads been a mechanic for 20 years and he said he never seen nothing like this either.. he can no longer do anything..anyways..for the time being im just gonna go the cheap route..as I just wanna get it back on the road..i just don't know what the labor will cost...around here you gotta watch mechanics as they will stick it to you every which way they can..had a damn good mechanic but he closed up shop..bummer.. I guess she will have to sit for a while until I can come up with the money...just had a mechanic quote me 1,200.00 for midgrade gabriels....I said NO THANKS, I"LL PASS..
Old 06-20-2014, 05:37 PM

ACTUALLY im curious myself as to what else may be found on the underbody..lol..to be honest I don't know if I wanna find out..but whoever owned the car before me..sure as hell did not take care of it...
Old 06-21-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracer123
well my dads been a mechanic for 20 years and he said he never seen nothing like this either.. he can no longer do anything..anyways..for the time being im just gonna go the cheap route..as I just wanna get it back on the road..i just don't know what the labor will cost...around here you gotta watch mechanics as they will stick it to you every which way they can..had a damn good mechanic but he closed up shop..bummer.. I guess she will have to sit for a while until I can come up with the money...just had a mechanic quote me 1,200.00 for midgrade gabriels....I said NO THANKS, I"LL PASS..
Do NOT take it to a mechanic for something like this.
Putting in rear shocks will literally take like 30min, you don't need any special tools or anything.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy my stock deCarbon shocks to get by until you can swing more $ for better ones.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:23 PM

how much are they?..
Old 06-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me find out how much they would be for shipping. What is your ZIP? Can PM.

Quick Reply: suspension issues