Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

removing front undershield on 1999 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing front undershield on 1999 camaro?

I am getting ready to lower my 1999 Camaro SS and noticed that there is a 4" shield that hangs from the bottom of the front of the car. Looks like a wind deflector or something to that effect.

Is it OK to remove it? I already scrape it a lot getting in and out of my parking garage and there is no doubt it will get a lot worse as I lower the car.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's to deflect wind up in to the radiator, I would either trim it down on make a custom lower profile version. Most of the guys in the forced induction section that remove theirs report some over heating issues. Here is what I did to my car after mounting my front mount intercooler, it hangs 2" below the bumper...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-10-2014, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by paradigmGT
I am getting ready to lower my 1999 Camaro SS and noticed that there is a 4" shield that hangs from the bottom of the front of the car. Looks like a wind deflector or something to that effect.

Is it OK to remove it? I already scrape it a lot getting in and out of my parking garage and there is no doubt it will get a lot worse as I lower the car.
Thats called the air dam, try searching.
If you remove it the engine will have overheating problems. You shouldn't have any real issues scraping it if you know how to drive and don't slam the car.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

As mentioned earlier, my parking garage has extremely steep inclines and because of construction happening within the structure, the ramps are reduced to one lane which does not allow me to drive up/down on an angle to avoid scraping this air dam.

It looks like my only option is going to be to make it shorter. I had no idea it was for deflecting air to the rad, for some reason i thought it was just to deflect debris away from the engine bay.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The plastic may scrape, but is it anything besides an
annoyance? Just let it get scuffed, unless it's going to
tear right off.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:50 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
The plastic may scrape, but is it anything besides an
annoyance? Just let it get scuffed, unless it's going to
tear right off.
Agree
Old 08-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

agreed. It's not going to damage anything by scraping, just scuff it a little. It's better than overheating.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Good point guys, ill just put it back on and deal with the scraping. I was somewhat worried that depending on the angle of force between the ground and the dam, that it may force it back up against other components and damage other items.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

nope. I ran through an intersection about a month ago and bottomed out on the dip... didn't do anything but crack that air dam and scuff up my k member. I took the whole front end off last week just to see how everything is held on and put it back together, and that air diverter can break all it wants to but it won't damage anything... plus the stock ones are about three dollars at the pick a part...
Old 08-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

and Conan that is awesome, btw..
Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always figured that it was better to scrape with the diverter -- sort of like a warning. I'd rather be smacking something with that rather than the bumper or oil pan.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 95Maro
and Conan that is awesome, btw..

As you can see I have scraped my bumper a few times. We have these concrete "curb and gutter" trenches in many intersections where I live... I hate these things. That is one of the reasons I made the one I did, I also had to support the bumper some how with the front mount cooler.

OP the plastic air dam is bolted to the radiator support so flexing the plastic isn't going to hurt anything under the car.

Quick Reply: removing front undershield on 1999 camaro?