Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

May buy LT1 F-Body, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May buy LT1 F-Body what to look for, ASAP

Hey guys I am going to look at a 1994 Camaro Z28 A4 with the LT1 in it, is there anything that I should look for or look at before I decide to buy it? The car has 78,500 miles and has new tires. I am buying it for a daily driver, they are asking $5995 is that a fair price or should I talk them down? It is at a major dealership, the people just traded it in on a new Tahoe.

Dan
Old 11-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ONGRNGO
Hey guys I am going to look at a 1994 Camaro Z28 A4 with the LT1 in it, is there anything that I should look for or look at before I decide to buy it? The car has 78,500 miles and has new tires. I am buying it for a daily driver, they are asking $5995 is that a fair price or should I talk them down? It is at a major dealership, the people just traded it in on a new Tahoe.

Dan
Its an alright asking price for the mileage. You might be able to ask them down. As far as what to ask/ look for: Obviously ask for any maintanence records, and ask about any recent maintanence. Ask if the waterpump has been replaced, and also ask about the optispark distributor(if the waterpump fails, chances are youll be replacing the opti as well). Stick your hand behind the intake manifold and wipe the transmission bellhousing to see if its leaking oil(intake manifold leak is common). Other than that its just general wear and tear. Make sure the transmission shifts firm, etc.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't pay 6 for that. I got my 97 Z28 for about 8 grand with 40K on the odo. 2 years ago. it was worth 12grand then. i can still get 8 grand for it now.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Learn about OptiSparks. Go to www.camaroz28.com and do a search. It is a camshaft sensor on the LT1 that goes out sometime after 100K (mine lasted 120K) and causes all kind of hell. Problem is, you won't know it went out, the car will just "bog down" or "go slower" than it used to and you can chase your tail trying to figure out why (O2 sensor changes, spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, catalytic converter, etc.). You may want to have the car scanned first and request a Carfax report in the vehicle classifieds board. Many kind people on here will do one for free.

I wouldn't give more than $5,000. Take a look on eBay first.

www.kbb.com

1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe 2D

Engine: V8 5.7 Liter
Trans: Automatic
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
Mileage: 79,000

Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Tilt Wheel
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Dual Front Air Bags
ABS (4-Wheel)
Alloy Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Excellent
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.

Private Party Value $4,845
Private Party Value is what a buyer can expect to pay when buying a used car from a private party. The Private Party Value assumes the vehicle is sold "As Is" and carries no warranty (other than the continuing factory warranty). The final sale price may vary depending on the vehicle's actual condition and local market conditions. This value may also be used to derive Fair Market Value for insurance and vehicle donation purposes.

1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe 2D

Engine: V8 5.7 Liter
Trans: Automatic
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
Mileage: 79,000

Equipment:
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Tilt Wheel
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Dual Front Air Bags
ABS (4-Wheel)
Alloy Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Good
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history , the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.

Private Party Value $4,420

Private Party Value is what a buyer can expect to pay when buying a used car from a private party. The Private Party Value assumes the vehicle is sold "As Is" and carries no warranty (other than the continuing factory warranty). The final sale price may vary depending on the vehicle's actual condition and local market conditions. This value may also be used to derive Fair Market Value for insurance and vehicle donation purposes.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you shouldn't give more than 5 for it. I just found a 94 Z28 A4 for my uncle for $3,500. The car's interior was flawless, and it only needed a few minor things to look I think you could talk em down. Here's a pic of the car I found.

Old 11-18-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 67SS&99Z28
I think you shouldn't give more than 5 for it. I just found a 94 Z28 A4 for my uncle for $3,500. The car's interior was flawless, and it only needed a few minor things to look I think you could talk em down. Here's a pic of the car I found.

I agree, you have to shop. Nice deal!

I too bought a 97 pontiac formula with 86k, lt1 a4 for $4800. Perfect condition. Ok, a few minor things outside but a bargain for sure. You just have to shop. Don't jump on right away until you do some searching first. There's plenty out there, you just have to look.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:28 AM
12 Second Club

I work at a used car dealership. We have a 95 Camaro Z28 Auto hardtop for sale. It has 62,000 origional miles. It is CARFAX certified and comes with a 3 month 3,000 mile warranty. Extended warranties are also available. It has PW PL 5 speaker BOSE cd player. Shipping can be arranged. You can see the car at www.bargainhunterauto.com It is internet priced at 6,990. It is in the sportscars section.
Pm me if you have any questions
Adam
Old 11-21-2004, 05:41 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

i am asking 5k for mine, and have over 2000 in mods. pm if interested. actually it is the wifes cars, but still for sale none the less. can send pics.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by taner
i am asking 5k for mine, and have over 2000 in mods.
I'll give you $5,000 for your car, Tanner, but not a penny more! I suppose it's worth it. I'll want to test drive it first, though.

Finally decided to get a real sports car, huh? About time you decided to upgrade from that slow *** LT1 of yours.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sharpe
I'll give you $5,000 for your car, Tanner, but not a penny more! I suppose it's worth it. I'll want to test drive it first, though.

Finally decided to get a real sports car, huh? About time you decided to upgrade from that slow *** LT1 of yours.
not sure how to respond , but i have 2 4th gens, the one for sale is the wife's car. it is a polo green Z28 A4.

slow *** lt1?
Old 11-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by taner
not sure how to respond , but i have 2 4th gens, the one for sale is the wife's car. it is a polo green Z28 A4.

slow *** lt1?
I think he was joking. whats the mileage on it?
Old 11-21-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Price sounds good for the mileage. If you can get them down a grand, definitely go for it.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by meangreen94z
I think he was joking. whats the mileage on it?
100,714. it runs excellent! have done intake leak fix, and did a mild port match job on the intake while it was off. I have a for sale post in vehicle section, describing all of the mods, and maintenance repairs performed.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95z6spd
I work at a used car dealership. We have a 95 Camaro Z28 Auto hardtop for sale. It has 62,000 origional miles. It is CARFAX certified and comes with a 3 month 3,000 mile warranty. Extended warranties are also available. It has PW PL 5 speaker BOSE cd player. Shipping can be arranged. You can see the car at www.bargainhunterauto.com It is internet priced at 6,990. It is in the sportscars section.
Pm me if you have any questions
Adam

Away bloodsucker!! Damn thats excessivly high. for that car with those options. 5 at best. 4500 would be more likley.

yeash.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 67SS&99Z28

That car has also been wrecked in the front, the paint doesnt match, and the hood doesnt fit right with the fenders. If I can tell all that from the picture, it must be worse in person
Old 11-22-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

post only remarks relevant to the question originally asked. Otherwise, this will need to be moved to the appropriate section
Old 11-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Learn about OptiSparks. Go to www.camaroz28.com and do a search. It is a camshaft sensor on the LT1 that goes out sometime after 100K (mine lasted 120K) and causes all kind of hell. Problem is, you won't know it went out, the car will just "bog down" or "go slower" than it used to and you can chase your tail trying to figure out why ....
It actually no the "Optical Senor" on th optispark that goes bad, it is the cap and roter that oxydize. When there all rusty the fire can not bridge the gap at high rpm or even at any RPM. There are sevral cap and rotor kits for 100$ os so, compared to a new Opti- (250$) its a nice savings. I replace the cap and rotor on my oraginal Opti twice (once at 60,000 miles and at 100,000) and after both rebuils the car pured, never once did the sensor part fail.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Squat13
It actually no the "Optical Senor" on th optispark that goes bad, it is the cap and roter that oxydize. When there all rusty the fire can not bridge the gap at high rpm or even at any RPM. There are sevral cap and rotor kits for 100$ os so, compared to a new Opti- (250$) its a nice savings. I replace the cap and rotor on my oraginal Opti twice (once at 60,000 miles and at 100,000) and after both rebuils the car pured, never once did the sensor part fail.
ACTUALLY, it's both, and it's complete luck of the draw. I've had TWO go out within 20k miles (optical sensor), one at 9.5k, one at 18k
Old 11-22-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Squat13: "It actually no the 'Optical Senor' on th optispark that goes bad, it is the cap and roter that oxydize."
DietCoke: "ACTUALLY, it's both, and it's complete luck of the draw."

See what I mean? That's why I said to research the Opti Spark. It's something every LT1 owner should know about.

Tanner, I was being sarcastic.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DietCoke
That car has also been wrecked in the front, the paint doesnt match, and the hood doesnt fit right with the fenders. If I can tell all that from the picture, it must be worse in person
In reply to your thoughts, I BOUGHT a new front bumper for it because the other one was cracked. I have to adjust the fitment on it because the body man didn't mock it up correctly. It is hard to find a good painter in this day and time. The car wasn't wrecked because I've known the history on the car since it was new. Get your facts straight before you say something.

Quick Reply: May buy LT1 F-Body, what to look for?