2001 Z28 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 05:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Z28 Won't Start

My '01 Z28 Camaro won't start.

The car has less than 15,000 miles.
The car sat for 2 months but was started and let run periodically.

The other day, the temperature outside hovered around zero.

The car started easily, was gassed up, driven to work (less than 2 miles) and parked in the Company garage.

After work, the car would not start. It would not turn the engine over as if the battery was dead. The dash warning lights, head lights and radio were working normally but when the key was turned to start, nothing.

The battery was replaced with a new one with no effect. (still no response from the starter motor when the ignition key is turned to start) I have the ignition key with the small chip. The spare key and spare keyless door lock device were tried but that didn't help. I have heard that this may be a security issue? A Fuse? Faulty Starter Motor? Ignition Switch?

Can anyone help?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

When u try to start the car is there a security light in the dash if so then thats the problem if not it could be a number of things. If its a M6 then it could also be neutral safety switch.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Blk Z28
When u try to start the car is there a security light in the dash if so then thats the problem if not it could be a number of things. If its a M6 then it could also be neutral safety switch.

Thanks for the reply

The neutral/park start safety switch wasn't checked physically but the car doesn't start in neutral or park or when wiggling the shift lever.
There is a small red light in the center of the dash that blinks when the car is locked with the keyless entry device. Is this the security light you were refering to?
The starter motor was removed today and checked at a local auto parts store. It checked out ok according to the tech. Also, all of the modular fuses (Two fuse centers under the hood and one on the driver's side kick panel) were checked by removing them and looking at the element, buss bar, whatever they are called. They looked ok but were not checked with a ohm meter. The large, metal circuit breaker/relay type devices in the boxes under the hood were not checked.
Also when removing the starter a small metal screw driver was found under the car below the area where the starter is located. The tip of this screw driver was burned off and there was a melted place on the shank like it had been used to short out something. The car is parked in a hospital garage ...not a common place for screw drivers....if someone had been trying to steal the car...could this have screwed up the security system? If so, can it be reset or deactivated so the car can be started and moved?

Thanks again, any and all help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:25 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PASS-Key security info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/247786-p-s-s-key.html

Maybe that'll help.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had that problem and it was caused by the ignition wires in the column coming apart and the actual housing that the key goes in. Once the housing was replaced for about $100 the car was fine. You can call GM roadservice and they can give you certain dirctions to get the car to start. Just let them nowits the security system. They had me put the key in the on position for 30 sec. and then turn the key back and forth to override the system. It worked for me to startthe car to get it fixed.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Definently sounds like your security system is going ape on you. Call GM and see if they can walk you through the override, after that unfortunately its going to have to go in for some minor repair/reprograming.
This, among other things, was a problem I had with my 98. The security system wouldnt allow the car to start. Then again neither would the 3 dead fuel injectors, or the two fouled spark plugs. Its a pain when its something so easy.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

my car just did that today
Old 03-02-2008, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

I had a friend that had that problem and it ended up being a thin wire in the ignition key area that broke off ..it was for reading the chip on the key or something along those lines
Old 03-02-2008, 02:13 PM

Try moving the steering wheel to one side or the other. Sometimes this will not alow the car to start. May be a security issue though.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any luck on getting the car started yet?

Bill
Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont think its something with the chip in the key because when my firebird had that problem it started and then shut off after exactly 2 seconds and the security light was flashing. If its something in the ignition it self you could maybe try to wire up a push button start.
http://www.pitreweb.com/s2000sw.htm

just an idea but who knows...probably not right haha good luck at any rate
Old 03-03-2008, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Two words IGNITION RELAY!! I am almost 100% certain this is your problem. Under the hood on the drivers side there are two large relays. One is your ignition relay and one is your fan relay (I think its a fan relay anyway) You can swap these relays out and then try to restart your vehicle.

I had this issue about 6 months ago and this fixed my problem.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Try pulling the radio fuse on the driverside side dash. Once its pulled lock and hen unlock the car with the remote. Turn the ignition on and hit unlock again. Then replace the radio fuse. Its a 15amp fuse. Thatswhat GM told me to permanently shut the security system off when I installed the remote start alarm on mine. Might help tho.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL welcome to a 3 year old thread.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

hahaha....thats funny
Old 03-05-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

It would be really funny if the car was still in the parking garage 3 years later cause the guy couldn't get the car to start. haha. I'm sure he had it towed, but it would be funny.

Quick Reply: 2001 Z28 Won't Start