Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
View Poll Results: Is Chevy Destroying The SS Name?
Yes
68.11%
No
21.40%
Who Cares?
10.49%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Chevy Destroying The SS Name?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this on my mind for a while and I believe Chevrolet IS destroying the SS name. SS no longer stands for what it used to. I have seen a Hummer SS, Trailblazer SS, Silverado SS, Cobalt SS, and i heard a 6 cylinder malibu is going to be called an SS. It seems Chevy isn't associating SuperSport with High Performance anymore. But using it to market slow cars to youngsters who've got hardons for fog lights and big wings. PFFFT!!! Things such as this Hummer and trailblazer stuff i've seen around just don't add up. I think some smalltime car dealer is slapping badges on cars with a few grand extra to the price. IMHO v8 or not, if it doesn't make 300bhp it shouldn't be called SS.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this whole thread is bullshit. i've been biting my tongue for a long time, but some of you ******* are so closed minded it makes me sick. SS is the top of the line of each model. just cuz it isnt a fire breathing gen3, doesnt mean it can't be sporty and quick. i personally only care about V8s, but not everyone does. they're building something for everyone. if you dont like a trailblazer SS because it's an SUV or a cobalt SS because it's not a V8, dont ******* buy one. there will always be muscle cars/trucks out there for us, but let the other guys drive what they want too.

*steps off soap box*

Last edited by rumblebox; 12-27-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Funny part is that a tb ss will outrun an f-body with a couple of simple mods. All the while carrying the whole family in comfort and the groceries in the back. Chevrolet is doing some dumb things with some of the vehicles but they are starting to come out with some decent ones. The ss cobalt is fast for what it is, the tb ss is fast for what is the sss is slow unfortunately for what it is but there is nothign we can do about it.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99VetteMan
Gm rates it at 205 HP stock, they are dynoing at 200 to 210 at the CRANK!
You mean at the wheels
Old 12-23-2005, 10:43 PM
Teching In

I remember the 454 SS trucks man I wanted one of those black bastards until I found out they were like 250 or so horses with a gutted 8 to 1 compression ratio and kinda lame against my old 82 Z with a 350 4 barrel auto . You could get the 350 SS for like 5 grand cheaper and pump it up fairly decently though.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Well, I can say for an absolute fact that my TB SS deserves the badge of honor... 395hp, 400lbs of tq. all wheel drive and a sharp exterior package to boot... Long Live The Mighty SS!!

Gotta LOVE the LS2...

Old 12-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroz
it's AWD 400HP what else do u need ***** sake get over it man S-Curves i think it will perform very well so do me a favor and shut the hell up

agreed Trailblazer SS kicks ***
Old 01-09-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

i agree both ways i know im a little late in this thread but i gotto say somethin, i think yes SS is speacial and it deserves only the best and i think v8 and a nice car also but it is a good point that they are just suposed to be the highest model, now my gf has a 04' monte carlo ss supercharged,i was a little disapointed it was a v6 but its a nice car and it moves pretty well, and here why i cant put them down becuase i had a 88' monte carlo "SS" and as much as i loved the car ad it was nice looking it was slow as *****, 180hp not deserving of SS it ran 16.1 on a good run. my gf's v6 would have wouped my 5.0L's *** even after i did work to it. the cobalt to. so i dunno I dont like the SUV **** but othewisei guess there doin ok sense there 4cyl has more ponies than my old v8 did
Old 01-09-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

HOLY DAM! I did not know that!

Got any pics of her Monte Carlo?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

I agree w/ the others... "SS" should only be used on top of the line vehicles... no more watered down "SS."
Old 01-28-2006, 03:58 PM

Yes they are. TrailBlazer SS. Give me a break.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
i dont have much of an opinion on what should/shouldnt carry the SS badging, but I just feel like I see it everywhere now, it's waaayyyyy over used. ford has svt, but you dont see an svt expedition/explorer/taurus?

I'm willing to bet this has beencorrected but there was an SVT taurus it was called the SHO
they haven't made it for a few years, but it was either a HO Mazda V6 under the hood or a V8 in some of the more recent models....
the taurus SHO was a real suprise for some at the stop light

if this has been corrected already feel free to ignore me... no flames needed
Old 01-31-2006, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Yes they are. TrailBlazer SS. Give me a break.
What's your problem with a 400hp, all wheel drive, LS2 equipped SUV? The original SSs were family cars with big cube motors stuffed in 'em to appeal to a younger, more performance oriented buyer. That's exactly what the TBSS is...

Mine is my daily driver and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm in construction, so a Camaro wouldn't do me any good. I can drive my SS on job sites all day, and drive the **** out of it on the way home every night.

Just wait 'till guys start strapping blowers on these things... With AWD, they're gonna be monsters from stop light to stop light!!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is alot of outdated backwards thinking in this thread.

SS has become to GM what "Type R" is to honda. Its just means top of the line performance of that certain vehicle line up.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chevy0utlaw
Recently Chevy has decided to have a few new cars with SS options. When I think SS I think of V8's with awesome styling and amazing performance, Camaros, Novas, Chevelle's, Monte Carlos Etc.

Chevy has released the Cobalt in an SS package (205 HP 2.0L Engine) The Cobalt doesn't look like a muscle car, doesn't perform like a muscle car, and in my mind doesn't deserve the SS name.

And the Malibu is now going to be in SS, I can kind of understand the Malibu because Malibu was avaliable in SS back in the day but a V6 Malibu just doesn't seem like an SS to me... even though I like V6 Monte Carlo SS cars.

And they are also releasing the Trailblazer in an SS package... come on an SUV with an SS package... In my mind SS is an elite name, and now with so many cars with the package I believe the SS name is losing elite status with many people. Chevy is just putting Super Sport on cars to sell more of them, and I don't think they realize that eventually no one will care about SS because they are too common and people seem to like the SS package because it is rare compared to other packages and is known for it's performance. I'm sure many will disagree and I know the goal is to provide affordable performance but I think they are taking it too far, go ahead and argue with me, agree, and vote on the poll.
I totally agree. It's just sad what Chevy's doing to the beloved SS nameplate.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MountainMotor
I totally agree. It's just sad what Chevy's doing to the beloved SS nameplate.
Who cares? If you don't like it don't buy it.

Would you rather it be the "Cobalt GTR or GTX or R"

Cobalts are decently quick little cars.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one really cares, but its a damn shame... they throw the SS on basically anything... The cobalt and the trail blazer is ok but there are some r that's my thoughts....
Old 06-25-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
Who cares? If you don't like it don't buy it.

Would you rather it be the "Cobalt GTR or GTX or R"

Cobalts are decently quick little cars.
And I won't, just stating my opinion smartass.
If you like them, I don't care, but I'm not going to make any smart comments about it.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MountainMotor
And I won't, just stating my opinion smartass.
If you like them, I don't care, but I'm not going to make any smart comments about it.
The cars are true "SS's". Why? Because the "SS" nameplate only comes on GM cars. Guess what. GM makes all those cars.

"SS" is the top of the line. In the 60s that meant you got the best of everything. Including motor.

"LS" is the top of the line and only sometimes includes motor.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

wasn't there V6 Chevy Nomad SS option years and years ago.......?

Quick Reply: Chevy Destroying The SS Name?