Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Third gen camaro RS, worth it to invest time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 05:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Third gen camaro RS, worth it to invest time?

My first car was a 1990 camaro RS that I purchased with 114K on the clock. The car has since developed a lot of rust around the fender and rear quarters and have been hit in the driver rear quarter that I knocked (half-assed) back out. I gave the car to my dad and he doesnt have any space for it now so he is giving it back to me. Soo...my question is:

At what point rust-wise are these unibody third gens not worth the time to try and fix?

I know at a minumum the front fenders would be replaced, and the rear quarters would have to be cut off and replaced, and the two door panels would have to be replaced. Now, as far as the underbody of the car, I know there is rust under there, is it worth trying to fix that crap?

Thanks guys,
When I take delivery of the car this weekend I will try and get pictures up.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not worth it. It would be much cheaper for you to buy one which is in very good shape. You can do quick rust fix jobs but they always come back to haunt you. You can easily find a rust free 90-92 RS Camaro for $2,500. Go to www.thirgen.com and checkout the Vehicles For Sale section.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

As cheap and plentiful as they are , I'd say no , too.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Teching In

That's alot of work and money to repair it, you can get super clean 3rdgen RSes for a reasonable price. I don't think it's worth it unless there is sentimental value or you have the know how and cash.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Teching In

I was wondering the same thing about my car. She's a '91 RS V/8 5 spd. First purchased with 12k in 1995. It was sold to a friend and I bought it back at 90k. It now has 130k. Out of nowhere it has a "ticking" on my driver's side. A camaro friend says it sounds like a speedo tick. It only "ticks" when I'm pulling a load but after the engine's been running for about 20 minutes, the ticking completely goes away. It sounds like it's coming from under the hood..have yet to figure that one out.

But she has no real major problems body or otherwise. Very little rust that just started on the wheel wells. A couple of tiny rust spots on my door. The paint isn't bad but I would like a new color finish anyway. The interior is next to mint. But my friend suggests several things that seem to absorb my pocket book and then some. He fears she may not be worth it unless I plan not to drive her all the time. She's my baby and I hate to think I can't look forward to taking her out every day, except on wintery days. I do think my floor boards are gonna need done. There's rust where the floor pan is underneath the car. I can't feel it through the inside yet. I may need subframe connectors..this last year I noticed she's twisting a little bit. I want to keep her in good shape...drop a new engine etc. but I'm not sure how much money this would be once I start that kind of "repair". I'll try to get a pic. Thanx
Attached Thumbnails Third gen camaro RS, worth it to invest time?-sep14_003.jpg  
Old 03-24-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it means somthing to you keep it if not dump it.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

It means a fun project to work on. I have done body work before but have never really had the right tools and tried hard. I would like to learn how to paint and do body work the correct way so I think I will take the project on.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99whitews6
It means a fun project to work on. I have done body work before but have never really had the right tools and tried hard. I would like to learn how to paint and do body work the correct way so I think I will take the project on.
Enjoy and good luck then
Old 03-24-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gut it and make it an autocross car
Old 03-24-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

rs= really slow

not worth the money for the body if you can get a newer one, and also consider your engine will fail soon. Most body shops will not give you an estimate for an ls1 install on your car, but rather leave the bill open, because it's a custom job and there's always some unique problem to run into

Quick Reply: Third gen camaro RS, worth it to invest time?