Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Will Camaros lose value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will Camaros lose value?

When the new camaro comes out will the Ls1 camaros and trans ams lose alot of value? I have a low mile camaro and want to know if i should keep it or sell it before the value drops significally.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

The answer is simple, if your still enjoying it don't sell it.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

You cant determine the future necessarily except the fact that values will go down in the near future obviously because the cars are getting older and will be out of date compared to the new camaro in many ways but in 30 years or so, who knows, only time will tell us. Keep it and enjoy it!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well put. They will always lose value, until they get really old and all the idiots have wrecked them, or let them turn into piles of crap sitting beside the house on blocks. Then there will only be a few left in good shape, if its well taken care of, they should become a hot item in 30+ years. KEEP IT.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:46 PM
10 Second Sleeper Club

I'm with ^^^^^^^^^^. I will never get rid of my 2000 Z. The LS1' are coveted items, at least in my neck of the woods. Try finding one at a dealership, few and far between. Will they go down in value? Yes. Will they go up again in some years? Yes. I am getting ready when the new one comes out to buy an SS and garage my 2000
12 sec car and just play with it occasionally or take it to shows. I don't wanna say to myself "Damn I used to have one of those and could have sold it today for a ton of money". Been there , done that with 67 Mustang.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would never sell my camaro. its likea family member now. it brings a lot of joy to me to drive it. long live the ls1.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Watching the barrett jackson car auction I always hear from older people " I had one exactly like that, what was I thinking when I sold that." I bet there is going to be alot of people kicking themselves when they sell their f-body to get a new camaro.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can see the camaro slowly losing some value since a newier model will be out and some people are looking to spend alot of money for a 4th gen since it has been made since 2002. The T/A however will retain its value since theres no official word on a new T/A
Old 07-19-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Late model Camaros will never become high priced collectables due to the sheer numbers still in the marketplace.

Also, some of the things that made select 1960's and 1970's cars so special WERE OPTIONS. Insane options that ALMOST no one ordered leaving only a couple LS6 Chevelles or maybe a couple hundred L-88 Corvettes or several Stripper Bel-Airs with 427's and 12 bolts ordered in strange colors per model year.

Late model Camaros are all almost about the same with only one engine choice and plenty still in the market. They will never sell for the same amounts as you see on Barret Jackson. Sorry.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

If you care more about how much it's worth than how much fun you're having with it you better sell it so someone else can enjoy it. I'm sick of everyone being scared to drive their cars because it might go down in value. Take it out and beat on it and keep it in good shape and have FUN with it!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't buy my car for an investment (and if you did buy your 4th gen for an investment you need your head checked), I bought my car for the soul purpose of driving the **** out of it and living out part of my youth that I missed out on.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

history repeats itself. in 30+ years the price cars are going for on Barret jackson will be pocket change with the way inflation is going now. 50 grand? ha....probably spend that a week on gas...if they still sell it legally.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:03 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

I think these cars like ALL cars go down in value...after a while they hit their rock bottom and all of a sudden they start going back up in price.

I remember buying an 81' Formula in AWESOME condition.Yes,not a very rare car and heck,it wasn't even that fast!But looking at the going rates for unmolested,stock,unwrecked 2nd gens...If I still had her she would be worth almost 5 times what I bought her for back in 1990 or so....and 2nd gens were one of the MOST produced F-Bodies ever if I'm correct.I want to remember the 79' year models (Firebird) for instance as being the highest selling F-Body year?I think...could be wrong.

Also look at the Mustang Fox Bodies...Take a look at eBay and notice the premiums that those cars are starting to go for in UN-MODDED UN-WRECKED condition...Just a few short years ago you could pick up a COUPLE of them for the price they are now starting to bring...Also the 3rd gen F-Bodies are coming back up in price although they don't seem to be coming back up as quickly as the Mustangs or the 2nd gen F-Bodies did...They usually have to be very low miles and very "virgin" if you will...

To sum it up...if the car was well liked when they were new,they will eventually come back up in value and there WILL be people willing to pay out for them...
Old 07-26-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

im pretty sure the new ones will make the 98-02 worth more, im not exactly sure but im feeling it, something about having the original, that will proably weigh less, its not like the new ones will have brand new engine that we cant have like an LT1 to an LS1, they will both have LS based enigne, so we can get parts cheaper!

god i cant wait to smack the newer generation camaro kids ***'s with my older SS!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Late model Camaros will never become high priced collectables due to the sheer numbers still in the marketplace....
Actually, the overall production numbers for the last few years were very low, compared to previous years.

Just shy if 43k were built in '02 and of those a little over half were LS1's (<25K). '01 the total was even less since GM started production of the '02s for the "35th Anniversary" early- just over 29k total built with <13k built with an LS1.

If you look at the numbers for all generations, the LS1 was the best performing and reliable, but one of the lowest in total numbers compared across the years.

Cars will continue to drop in value until they hit true collector status in a few decades, but it is still something to ponder.....

Quick Reply: Will Camaros lose value?