Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ca engine swap emissions question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ca engine swap emissions question

In about to swap to an ls1 for my 86 chevy truck. Can i use any of the ls engines? I remember reading that its ok to swap as long the engine is not a Heavy Duty model. Are any of the ls engines considered HD?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For it to be legal in Calif, You can not use a LSx (1,2,3,6,7) engine for your truck, that is a Car based engine. You are required to use a Truck based engine into a truck (LQx, LMx, etc).

There should be no reason you can not use a so called HD engine, The swap will be based on the VIN in the ECM and all supporting SMOG equipement must also be used and installed per OEM Spec. (granted there is a little room depending on how you read the law and how the Referree sees it, but not much) You basically turn your 86 truck in to a new truck and it has to meet the same testing requirement as the donner engine.

You would need to keep the Cat's, EGR, AIR, Fuel tank Pressure Sensor and level, EVAP, Vaper Charcoal Canister, PCV, etc from the donner Truck. If the Referee wanted to get real picky, He will check the casting and part number and ask you for documentation to match. But much of this is the is worse case.

Research this on the Calif DMV site and find and talk to a Smog Referee (talk to a few), as they are never the same in thinking many times.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Everytime I read one of these California emmission threads, it makes me glad I don't live in California. You guys have it tough! Good luck with the swap.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Fuel tank Pressure Sensor and level. Is that a single sensor or would i have to get two of them. I am using dual tanks. Is that something that they actually check for or is it something thats going to show up on the computer when they plug it in.

Last edited by 86silverado; 07-24-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Im kind of curious about the engine having to be on a truck platform. I actually have a book for swapping a tuned port into a s-10 blazer or truck and it has all the guidlines for in regards to the state laws on how to do it. Tuned ports only came in vettes camaros and firebirds. Have the laws changed since then? Dont mind putting a truck engine ls in but i have a friend that has one out of a newer vette that will let it go for a good price. I just want to be 100% sure on this.
Thanks for all the info.
If this all goes right i will be swapping my elcamino over too.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Teching In

im doin an ls1 into an 86 el camino and the fuel tank seems to be the biggest issue what size is your truck ? what i found is if the motor doesnt come from a truck over 6000 gvw you should be ok im in thesame boat as you with the el camino swap im in the truck catagory if i where you i would use an aftermarket rear mount tank and use the stock f body pump it has all the sensors on it what bc said is true you are now smogging the swap motor not your truck so all emissions for that motor have to be there
Old 07-25-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guys, This is a Guideline taken from the California DMV .GOV site. It is neither a comprehensive nor a step by step guideline to follow, but is a good starting point to understand what it would take to make a 1976 and newer Car/Truck Smog Compliant

Engine Change GuidelinesOverview
Engine changes continue to present problems and challenges to car owners and technicians. Here are some tips to keep you and your customers on the straight and narrow.

Our recommendation is to rebuild and reinstall the original engine, transmission, and emission control configuration.

When rebuilding an engine, it must be rebuilt to the original equipment specifications. However, if you do decide to change the engine, these guidelines must be observed to ensure that the vehicle will be eligible for smog certification or registration.

Remember, these are guidelines for performing engine changes – not certification procedures. All exhaust emission controlled vehicles with engine changes must be inspected by an official referee station and must have a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Identification Label affixed to the doorpost.

Remember also, state and federal anti–tampering laws generally prohibit any modification to the vehicle's original emission control system configuration as certified by the manufacturer. And, Section 3362.1 of the California Code of Regulations prohibits any engine change that degrades the effectiveness of a vehicle's emission control system.

California Certification
A federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certified (federal or 49–state) engine cannot be used in a vehicle that was originally certified for California.

Certification Standards
Make sure the engine and emission control configuration on exhaust – controlled vehicles are certified to the year of the vehicle or newer, and to the same or a more stringent new vehicle certification standard.

Classification
Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy–duty engine cannot be installed in a light–duty exhaust–controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement. Non–emissions controlled power plants such as industrial or off–road–use–only engines may not be placed in any exhaust–controlled vehicle.

Computer Controls
If a computer–controlled engine is installed in a non–computerized vehicle, the "CHECK ENGINE" light, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) diagnostic link, and all sensors, switches, and wiring harnesses needed to make the system fully functional must also be installed.

Emission Control Configuration
Mixing and matching emission control system components could cause problems and is generally not allowed. Engine and emission control systems must be in an engine–chassis configuration certified by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The engine must meet or exceed the requirements for the year and class of vehicle in which it is installed.

Emission Warranty
Voiding the vehicle manufacturer's emission warranty is not allowed.

Engine Modifications
No internal or external engine modifications (cams, pistons, intakes, etc.) may be performed unless the parts are ARB–exempted or EPA–certified for use in the installed engine. Use the database on this site to search for aftermarket parts covered by ARB Executive Orders.

Original Equipment
The installed engine and host chassis must retain all of their original emission control equipment. Diesel–to–gasoline conversions must have all gasoline engine and chassis emission control systems installed (such as fillpipe restrictor, catalytic converter and evaporative emission system).

Smog Inspection
These vehicles must pass a complete smog inspection (visual, functional, and tailpipe).

Be sure to check for updates on California's DMV and other gov site for your correct Be sure to check for updates on California's DMV and other gov site for your correct intruptation of the California Law or any other State Law.
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html
Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Yeah i read that description before. It does seem rather vague when it comes to what you can and cant do. I would really like to stick the 5.7 in but i figure a 5.3 or even a 6.0 will do. One thing i havent really got a real good beat on is oil pan issues. The guys that have trucks like mine really havent gone into much detail as far as that goes. Is there and aftermarket pan that will fit without me having to cut into the frame
Old 07-27-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can take the internal crank, rods, pistion and stick them in the 5.3l and you can have a 5.7L...Why are you stuck on a 5.7L LS1/6 Gen III engine ? for the alum block ?

IMO.. go 6.0, the extra 80 lbs from the iron block is not going to make any difference being in a truck, but the fuel mileage and power of the 6.0l will !

I would say, any of the truck pans would work... LQ, LM or LH... they all have short lower slump's.. I don't think it is anything that you would have to worry about.. unless you really move the engine forward and lower. maybe someone with a spare Truck pan could take a picture of the SBC pan to compare to put you at ease.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Teching In

im not really stuck..Just exploring the options to be sure thas all. 5.3 might just the the way to go as far as sticking it in the truck. I drive a 07 express van for work and it has some stellar gas mileage compared to my truck. The power isnt too shabby either.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by steveelco
im doin an ls1 into an 86 el camino and the fuel tank seems to be the biggest issue what size is your truck ? what i found is if the motor doesnt come from a truck over 6000 gvw you should be ok im in thesame boat as you with the el camino swap im in the truck catagory if i where you i would use an aftermarket rear mount tank and use the stock f body pump it has all the sensors on it what bc said is true you are now smogging the swap motor not your truck so all emissions for that motor have to be there
I'm doing the same swap ls1 into a 85 el camino. It's in and running great
but I need to finish hooking up the ca smog equipment. I think I have all the
stuff on it , except the Purge to the EVAP canister. Can't I use the old 85 canister that has a hard line that already runs back to the tank?
Old 06-13-2015, 01:52 PM

Default 85 Elco swap

Originally Posted by steveelco
Steve I have an 85 elco and I'm in CA. I'm looking to do a swap. I'm hoping I can do an LS or LT do you have any info to share about the swap and ca smog? I'm looking for more power and gas mileage. The 305 is ok but not getting it done for me. Thanks man.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:21 PM

Default 5.3 swap

Originally Posted by bczee
For it to be legal in Calif, You can not use a LSx (1,2,3,6,7) engine for your truck, that is a Car based engine. You are required to use a Truck based engine into a truck (LQx, LMx, etc).

There should be no reason you can not use a so called HD engine, The swap will be based on the VIN in the ECM and all supporting SMOG equipement must also be used and installed per OEM Spec. (granted there is a little room depending on how you read the law and how the Referree sees it, but not much) You basically turn your 86 truck in to a new truck and it has to meet the same testing requirement as the donner engine.

You would need to keep the Cat's, EGR, AIR, Fuel tank Pressure Sensor and level, EVAP, Vaper Charcoal Canister, PCV, etc from the donner Truck. If the Referee wanted to get real picky, He will check the casting and part number and ask you for documentation to match. But much of this is the is worse case.

Research this on the Calif DMV site and find and talk to a Smog Referee (talk to a few), as they are never the same in thinking many times.
Can I swap in a 5.3 vortec motor out of a 2003 suburban into my 88 mcss and pass smog in CA. Is the 5.3 motor out of the suburban considered a truck motor or car.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Interesting.. this got me thinking. I was planning on getting a 2014-2015 Jeep Wrangler, and was planning on doing a LS3 swap.... But I live in California. Is this not possible? Even if i keep what is mentioned; evap, canister, fuel psi..etc? Someone told me I can't even swap a GM motor into the Jeep, that it would have to be a Chrysler, Jeep, Doge (mopar) motor??? I don't want a Hemi. Please tell me he's wrong.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mdrn69velle
Please tell me he's wrong.
He's wrong. Brand does not matter.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use a 1/2 ton truck or suv engine as a swap for a jeep. You can not use 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck or suv in any vehicle that is not 3/4 or 1 ton so if you truck is a 1/2 ton truck (1500) model you can't put a 6.0 out of a 2500 Silverado and make it Ca legal also contact your local referee most bar refs view the written laws differently (how much of the doner vehicle needs is used) but must pass all factory readiness test and smog
Old 10-08-2018, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by 86silverado
Im kind of curious about the engine having to be on a truck platform. I actually have a book for swapping a tuned port into a s-10 blazer or truck and it has all the guidlines for in regards to the state laws on how to do it. Tuned ports only came in vettes camaros and firebirds. Have the laws changed since then? Dont mind putting a truck engine ls in but i have a friend that has one out of a newer vette that will let it go for a good price. I just want to be 100% sure on this.
Thanks for all the info.
If this all goes right i will be swapping my elcamino over too.
everything that I looked into when I was looking at doing a swap into an old 91 Camaro I found was you could put a car motor into a truck but not truck into a car. Because i came across a LM7 motor I was going to do the swap with but refree explained that I couldn't put a lm7 truck motor into any car unless pre smog but you could put a lsx motor into a truck. Had something to do with smog on cars are more than smog on trucks so truck motors have more emmissions or some bullcrap he fed to me.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

True. Though in reality, the truck engines are as clean as the car ones, but don't have as strict a standards. Therefore no truck engines in '75 or later cars.

Quick Reply: Ca engine swap emissions question