Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting 99 L S1 in my camaro, what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Putting 99 L S1 in my camaro, what do I need?

Hey guys, new to the site, been reading some threads trying to find some help. Just bought an complete 99 LS1 camaro that I am planning to part out to build my 68 camaro. Need some advice as to what exactly I should use from it for my 68 camaro, besides the engine and transmission of course.
Can I use the fuel tank? Can I use the abs brake system? Can the computer harness be converted so that I can use it in my 68?

Also, what are the best motor mounts I should be buying for my conversion and where do I get them? Seems like there is more than one type. What other basic items are needed to bought and where do I get them? I've read some of the threads and I found no advise about where to get this stuff, part numbers, or a specific list of what exactly is needed. How much do you think I will spend just on basics before I can turn the key and get the car started?

I want to get going with this right away and really need the best advice on how to go about it.

Have 9k on this project and haven't really gotten started, can tell it will be costly.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What transmission are you planning on running? Your going to need a fuel system, harness, pcm tune, other misc.

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read my build thread in my sig... then ask any questions you have.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Teching In

I am using the original automaic 4160 transmission. I want to use as much as possible from the 99 camaro, have the whole car to dismantle.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Read this
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1369420-stans-1968-camaro-ls-swap-other-upgrades.html

And this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1233163-my-67-camar0-ls1-4l60-swap-thread.html
Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Can I use the original fuel tank from the 99 camaro, or do I need to buy one? Where can I find the least expensive one if I have to buy an aftermarket tank?

What are the tallest engine mounts I can use for my conversion? I don't want to notch the frame for the A/C compressor, is that possible? Do I have to replace the oil pan regardless of what motor mounts I use?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

No on fuel tank,look at my build link I discuss fuel tank !if u don't want to notch for compressor u need to relocate to the top ,S&P makes brackets for that!!I used there motor plates to!!u will need a different oil pan,either a notched Camaro pan or a aftermarket like morrosso or autokraft!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went with street and performance motor plates,autokraft oil pan and stainless works lOng tube headers!everything fit perfect!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a lot of information in this sections FAQ, 1st Gen F-body are a common swap now aday. Suggest you research the FAQ, your asking many questions that have been answer many times over.

As far as running the OEM AC Compressor and running Standard or 1" setback plates will not allow fittement as they come into contact with each other. To use the OEM compressor, you will have to use the Early Style BRP plates, relocate the engine frame stands and notch the X-member. Else go with relocation or aftermarket setups.

Many choices on oil pans. research the other build threads for the pro/con of each. there is a sticky on oil pans.

as far as the harness. Again many options, DIY, vendor converted to standalone or buy new. If you want to use the ABS.. you would need to convert everything from the donner to your car.. it is some work, but has been done.

Wiring harness pin out and conversion is also covered in the FAQ. I can email you my finding and setup to convert a 99-02 F-Body harness to a stand alone (as other can also).

I would suggest you use as many parts from the same manufactor or vendor. That way you know all will fix together as designed.

Good Luck
BC
Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

First, check out the FAQ, read the entire build by 67RSSS it's a bag full of information. Then check out C6matt's build, another pot of gold. The links posted by bmf5150 are good too.

Then check out these where I tried to contribute what I could;

Motor mount discussion
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-body-pan.html

More motor mount discussion
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ts-camaro.html

Adding in-tank pump to stock tank
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...fuel-pump.html

Lastly, post up your results so other's can learn from it in the future. Try to put a title on it that would make it easy for someone to know what's inside. I'm tired of posts titled 'What do you think of this??', or 'Look what I got'. No one has any idea what's in there, it's like spam mail. You may be interested, or it may be crap stealing precious minutes of your life that you can't get back. It makes it hard for newbies to find the info they're looking for, and then someone flames them for not searching when they ask a question that's been answered before on here. Ok, rant over.

Good luck on your project.

Last edited by flyinsquirel; 04-07-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: more info