Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Porsche C4 LS2 conversion w/RH kit (project)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Porsche C4 LS2 conversion w/RH kit (project)

THis is the official start of my 01'C4 project (motor is finishing up at the machine shop) and i should be ready to start planning my build. This motor is going to be a stroked with all forged internals 408ci.
The transmission and the bumper cover are coming off next, will post pictures later this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails 2001 Porsche C4 LS2 conversion w/RH kit (project)-002.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bitchin
Old 05-04-2013, 03:28 AM
8 Second Club

why do i get a big smile whenever i see one of these threads??

please don't skimp on the pictures and good luck !
Old 05-08-2013, 05:23 AM
Teching In

Sorry for not giving updates, but my wife's 93' 40th anniversary Corvette popped a head gasket.
So my my Porsche is on a temporary hold until that's fixed.
The big question is, do i change the motor to an LS1 or just do the gaskets?
Any opinions? I see some threads of swaps but are they that much better and is it cost effective to go that route?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing else got damaged? If not you can just swap out head gaskets.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Nothing else got damaged? If not you can just swap out head gaskets.
+1, it will be back on the road a lot quicker..

I am sure the Vetter guys are cringing at the though of a 40th being De-flowered ! LOL..

But in the end, its your car and if you got the time, skills and funds (or two out of three).. go for it.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
+1, it will be back on the road a lot quicker..

I am sure the Vetter guys are cringing at the though of a 40th being De-flowered ! LOL..

But in the end, its your car and if you got the time, skills and funds (or two out of three).. go for it.
I am checking on an LS1, but was concerned on how much i would have to do (knowing i just had double knee surgury, and nobody to help me).
Have a couple of options and the car only has 89k on it, so i'll know in the next day or two.
Here is a picture of the car!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Default Transmission painted and motor ready to mount

Sorry for the slow updates......Finally fixed my wife's Corvette so back to my project!
The transmission is out and cleaned up, cleaning up all the brackets for mounting it also.
Prepping the motor compartment for Lizard Skin. I will also do the front storage area.
The motor needs a few more parts before I finish assembly. need an alternator and A/C compressor with the brackets
Attached Thumbnails 2001 Porsche C4 LS2 conversion w/RH kit (project)-035.jpg   2001 Porsche C4 LS2 conversion w/RH kit (project)-034.jpg   2001 Porsche C4 LS2 conversion w/RH kit (project)-032.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Default Motor almost ready to go in!

Got a couple of updated pictures, assembled some of the motor today.
Looking to move car to different garage for completion. looking for ideas on the exhaust! I am getting shorty high flow cats but need shorty mufflers, any ideas?
Also looking for ideas on fuel rails, which are the better ones to go with?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 2001 Porsche C4 LS2 conversion w/RH kit (project)-001-1024x768-.jpg   2001 Porsche C4 LS2 conversion w/RH kit (project)-003-1024x768-.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good. Are you going to remove the power steering lines? They're easier to remove now. I'm thinking of using the stock muffler set up in the stock location on mine, I've got the originals and a set of high flow sports, not sure which will sound the best, I'll have to experiment. I'm on a spending freeze right now so its been slow progress on mine.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Live2Porsche-it
Got a couple of updated pictures, assembled some of the motor today.
Looking to move car to different garage for completion. looking for ideas on the exhaust! I am getting shorty high flow cats but need shorty mufflers, any ideas?
Also looking for ideas on fuel rails, which are the better ones to go with?

Thanks
I VOTE 180 DEGREE HEADERS!!!!!
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-911-a-17.html

This is something I'm thinking about doing for my 911 project, love the C4 and I can't wait to see how yours hold up. I would love to have an AWD setup.

-Russell
Old 07-28-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rat_rod_russell
I VOTE 180 DEGREE HEADERS!!!!!
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-911-a-17.html

This is something I'm thinking about doing for my 911 project, love the C4 and I can't wait to see how yours hold up. I would love to have an AWD setup.

-Russell
never THOUGHT OF,, After reading about this on the burns stainless page, this could be a very nice future project after I get it up and running. That way I'll have some good comparison info. Thanks Much.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Default Ripping apart harness today!

Originally Posted by Fierofly
Looks good. Are you going to remove the power steering lines? They're easier to remove now. I'm thinking of using the stock muffler set up in the stock location on mine, I've got the originals and a set of high flow sports, not sure which will sound the best, I'll have to experiment. I'm on a spending freeze right now so its been slow progress on mine.
I'm waiting on the power steering until last, looks fairly simple and I just sprayed the lizard skin in the front compartment (picture added).
If I set it up correctly I should have 21" from elbow to elbow for the mufflers and cats (http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/...rentProductId=) if I weld it all together it should come out fine within a 1/2 inch. I also have the stock mufflers but don't plan on using them, I have racing muffler deletes with tips (so it will look stock but not sound it).
I am also running on a diminished budget with my house selling in 7 days (that's why I'm moving the car). Are you having luck with the coolant system setup?
Attached Thumbnails 2001 Porsche C4 LS2 conversion w/RH kit (project)-002-1024x768-.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Teching In

never THOUGHT OF,, After reading about this on the burns stainless page, this could be a very nice future project after I get it up and running. That way I'll have some good comparison info. Thanks Much.
I agree, I would rather wait until I have some test time on my car before I get into headers of that type (staying with stock 07' Vette manifolds).
But it does look like fun!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe your thinking about Whiteout for the cooling research, last I heard He was trying the stock style, block mounted water pump. I've purchased a center radiator and in the process of install. I've listened to a few of those 180 degree exhaust systems on U-Tube, I'm impressed. Probably Cost????
Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Aren't the C4s AWD, and if so are you keeping it AWD?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sciff5
Aren't the C4s AWD, and if so are you keeping it AWD?
Check out this site, this is where I got the kit to do this!
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's also this guy in Houston. http://toy-jet.com/ He does it as part time, screwing around himself but his prices are flat reasonable if you just need the adapter and clutch goodies. He's also got an interesting water plumbing system.

-Russell
Old 07-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rat_rod_russell
There's also this guy in Houston. http://toy-jet.com/ He does it as part time, screwing around himself but his prices are flat reasonable if you just need the adapter and clutch goodies. He's also got an interesting water plumbing system.

-Russell
Thanks Russell, but Texas is to far for me (Connecticut) and he looks as if he mainly does air cooled conversions.
Jim
Old 08-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Teching In

The coolant system for my car will be going in next thanks to Whiteout (sold me his Renegade kit) and then my harness will be getting setup.
I dry fitted my motor this week and it looks like I will be trying to find some fuel rails for the injectors (any ideas?) because of the height to the deck.

I believe your thinking about Whiteout for the cooling research, last I heard He was trying the stock style, block mounted water pump. I've purchased a center radiator and in the process of install. I've listened to a few of those 180 degree exhaust systems on U-Tube, I'm impressed. Probably Cost????
Attached Thumbnails 2001 Porsche C4 LS2 conversion w/RH kit (project)-010.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2001 Porsche C4 LS2 conversion w/RH kit (project)