Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need shallower pan for LQ9

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need shallower pan for LQ9

i am building a 1930 Model A coupe with a LQ9. Because this came out of an Escalade the original pan could be and is big. Ground clearance is a concern.
My question is can I simply use a Camaro oil pan which gives me an additional 2"+ of ground clearance?
I realize I will need to modify the pick up but short of that is there any reason I couldn't or shouldn't??
The pics don't show it well but there isn't much room between the pan and pavement.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

I can't really ascertain what type of cross member set up you have, but the corvette "bat-wing" pan is the highest clearance stock LS pan I know of. Its tough to get them to work with stock suspension geometries because of the size of the kick outs. I think guys running Mustang II style suspensions can get them to work, but someone else may want to chime in here and verify that.

I am not sure how well the stock F-body pan will work in your application, but you are correct in noting that you do gain about two inches of clearance off the sump. The Holley Oil pan for LS Swaps in muscle cars is a high clearance version (Part #302-1; https://www.holley.com/products/acce...ns/parts/302-1) which has been used with varying degrees of success. This pan might work for you off the shelf not only because of its shallower rear sump, but also its clearance for drag link steering gear in the front.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:43 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the response. My question is as before. Will a camaro pan work with the LQ9?
please do not worry about cross members, etc. I built the entire thing (frame/suspension/etc) and the only thing of concern is the pavement below. I only need to gain a couple inches of additional ground clearance and that is all.
I simply need to know if there are any reasons the shallower camaro pan won't work engine to engine.
I know most LS components work engine to engine but I am not 100% sure about oil pans hence the inquiry.
I do not want to spend big dollars on an aftermarket pan. I think I can find a camaro pan from someone wanting to upgrade but before I do I want to make sure it'll work.
Thanks again
Old 04-26-2017, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Sorry for not directly answering your question before. You can bolt an F-Body LS1 pan on the LQ9 providing you have the proper oil pickup tube for the f-body pan. This pickup tube also bolts on as the oil pump is in the same location on the LQ9 as the LS1. I would also grab the F-body windage tray (which is shorter length-wise than the LQ9 I believe), dipstick tube, and the dipstick itself.

If you really want to save money, you can modify your truck-style windage tray by cutting it to a similar length as the F-body tray, modify your existing dipstick tube, remark your dipstick to the F-body full oil level, and shorten your oil pickup tube to fit the shallower pan.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:46 PM
Teching In

That, my friend, is what I'm after! Thank you for your reply!
i was actually thinking about just cutting mine down and rewelding. That cast aluminum soaks up contaminates like nobody's business though.
I sincerely appreciate your response. This is very helpful!
thanks again.
Grant
Old 04-27-2017, 06:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Yes , youll definitely want an F body pan for that car. Be sure to get an oil pick up tube O ring for an F body too since the trucks are a different size, they look the same to the naked eye, but they arent. You can have no oil pressure issues from having the wrong one.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackalope
My question is can I simply use a Camaro oil pan which gives me an additional 2"+ of ground clearance?
Since you asked the question I'll let you in on a little secret, When GM designed the LS engine they did it much the way they did with the traditional Small block Chevy engine. They made the block dimensions the same for the whole line with very few exceptions. In simple words, The 4.8 5.3 5.7 6.0 6.2 aluminum block or iron block, truck, suv or car are pretty much the same on the exterior so you can swap oil pans/water pumps/ accessory drives/valve covers/intakes (as long as the ports match) front and rear covers/valley covers/ exhaust manifolds. In most cases (not all) even the internal parts are swappable, Oil pumps, crankshaft, Connecting rods, camshafts, timing sets. rocker arms and so on. In 2006 they changed from a 24x to a 58x reluctor wheel that changed the computer needed to run them but again you can change the reluctor wheel to work for your needs.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

This pan may solve your issue for you. Its one of the pans we manufacture here for our 240's. The only thing is it will require you to relocate your oil filter (we offer kits for this additionally). The pan comes with the proper pickup and dip stick

https://www.sikky.com/product/lsx-oil-pan/

Old 04-28-2017, 12:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's a link to dimensions and info on several of the factory and Holley pans so you can see what would work best for your setup: http://www.improvedracing.com/tech/L...dimensions.php

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 04-28-2017, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has always been useful

http://paceperformance.com/p-3990-engine-dimensions.html

BC
Old 04-30-2017, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$200 Done. GM part with all the needed accessories.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19212593
Old 04-30-2017, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by APillow

That pan is only a bit shallower than the truck pan, so in this car would probably be too deep.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by APillow

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
That pan is only a bit shallower than the truck pan, so in this car would probably be too deep.

Top quote "NO"

Bottom quote "yes"

Stay far away from the GM "muscle car pan" for your hot rod. Hangs way too low...when I did my A-body swap I almost fell prey to the muscle car pan before I did some research. It's just a Hummer H-3 pan marketed to the muscle car crowd...

F-body pan will probably work perfectly in your application.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

IF GM had any common sense they market the 98-02 -body pan as the muscle car kit and they would dominate the market.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
IF GM had any common sense they market the 98-02 -body pan as the muscle car kit and they would dominate the market.
only problem with the F-body pan is that it hits the cross member on a lot of swap rigs. There are lots of options out there as far as pans go, Google is your friend.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He has full frame rails and the motor looks high set to me. I bet H3/Hot Rod would fit and it cheap.

If you need a bit shallower the CTS-V pan. Saw one Sunday setup on a LM7 for a Volvo 940 swap. (not sure of price or PN though)
Old 05-02-2017, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the late C6 pan, here's a view of one on my Rambler. Notice the rear depth in relation to the bellhousing...
Attached Thumbnails Need shallower pan for LQ9-100_2958s.jpg  

Quick Reply: Need shallower pan for LQ9