Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 GTO Version 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Sometimes one has to wonder, "WHAT THE F**K WERE THESE PEOPLE THINKING?" GMPP did a very nice job coming out with a harness and ECU combo that was priced right, fits well, and is easy to hook up. Then you realize that the engineer who speced the gas pedal has never turned a wrench in his (or her) life. The pedal that they send with the harness kit is on the right:

It is HUGE and looks like it belongs on a dump truck. I can't imagine that it would fit into any car or streetrod etc...

Thanks for Jeff Schwartz, I got an alternative. The pedal on the left is from a 2007 Monte Carlo SS.

Nice and tidy, with an easy to mount flange. I was able to position it exactly where the old gas pedal was. I even used one of the original holes, drilled an extra hole, and was done.

So with some luck, I hope to drop the engine in this weekend.

Andrew
Old 04-19-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not much to say, as a picture is worth a thousand words:

Andrew
Old 04-19-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a word... SWEET!

Cannot wait to see how it runs w the harness and new cam!!

-Shaun-
Old 04-19-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by subtlez28
In a word... SWEET!

Cannot wait to see how it runs w the harness and new cam!!

-Shaun-
I am actually not that far from firing it up. Maybe even tomorrow. It is always a milestone to hear the engine come to life!

Speaking of harnesses. I really hate the convoluted split loom. I reloomed a section of the harness, that runs inside, with some expandable nylon loom. Wow is that nice. I may get some split nylon loom and redo the whole harness.

Andrew
Old 04-19-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Andrew

Did you get the Edelbrock Headers to fit w your big block's exhaust?

What do you plan to run for a radiator?

Hopefully you get some video of this bad-boy running!

-Shaun-
Old 04-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Andrew

Did you get the Edelbrock Headers to fit w your big block's exhaust?

What do you plan to run for a radiator?

Hopefully you get some video of this bad-boy running!

-Shaun-
Don't know about Andrew but with my Chevelle LS2 conversion the edelbrock headers are not as long as the Dynomax headers I had before. To use the exhaust from my 454, I would have to extend the pipe about 2-3" on each side.

I am going from 3" exhaust down to 2 1/2 for the LS2 so I won't be using my exhaust anyway.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1970-Cloned
Don't know about Andrew but with my Chevelle LS2 conversion the Edelbrock headers are not as long as the Dynomax headers I had before. To use the exhaust from my 454, I would have to extend the pipe about 2-3" on each side.

I am going from 3" exhaust down to 2 1/2 for the LS2 so I won't be using my exhaust anyway.
My exhaust will have to be changed slightly as well. The new Edelbrock headers are shorter than the Hooker Super Comps that I used to have. I also have a 3.5" X-pipe. I haven't decided what to do with all that yet.

Today I finally got done with modifying the GMPP engine harness. There were a few things that I did not like about it and I also wanted to give it some custom touches. The thought crossed my mind to completely reloom the harness, but I decided against it. Once I got the harness all hooked up and routed, it was pretty obvious that most of the harness is not really visible. It tucks very nicely behind the engine. The most visible parts are the extremities. The little branches that go to the various sensors, throttle body, and injectors. So I addressed just those areas. Here you can see how I kept the main branch of the portion of the harness that tuns along the fuel rail. What I did reloom were all the little fuel injector sections. You can also see the fuel line. It is a smooth bore Teflon braided stainless line that I covered with the nylon loom material.

Here you can see a section of the harness that had several branches going to the coolant temp sensor, alternator, crank sensor and MAF. It looked like this:

I changed it to this:

Not a huge difference, but a small detail.

I also routed the line from the coolant crossover tube. This tube can be routed to several places. The most popular is to run it to the radiator by the upper radiator hose. Others run a T in the upper radiator hose and routed there. On 5.3L Trailblazers the line runs to the large heater hose. So I drilled and tapped the water pump and ran a stainless hardline from the crossover tube to the water pump.

Getting really close to firing it up!

Andrew
Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Look at all that room even with the radiator installed. I love the Corvette accessories. Plenty of room on the passenger side for a GT42R.

I would say 75% of the engine is behind the front axle centerline. With any luck this thing will have about a 50/50 weight distribution.

Andrew
Old 04-22-2008, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Andrew,

Awesome progress! The wiring looks real clean. It looks like you will be driving soon. I will be curious on the cam swap you did. I really want to change mine but LG looks like the only after market company showing results which appear to be very good on the LS3. I called them but they advise to buy the $1500.00 cam kit which includes springs etc. I guess I must be stuck in a time warp SBC/BB era when that meant cam, alum heads and intake for that money. Is that a Katech tensioner or is OEM Y-Body?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-22-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tja42853
Andrew,

Awesome progress! The wiring looks real clean. It looks like you will be driving soon. I will be curious on the cam swap you did. I really want to change mine but LG looks like the only after market company showing results which appear to be very good on the LS3. I called them but they advise to buy the $1500.00 cam kit which includes springs etc. I guess I must be stuck in a time warp SBC/BB era when that meant cam, alum heads and intake for that money. Is that a Katech tensioner or is OEM Y-Body?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom,

I am using a Katech tensioner. On my RX7 with the LS6 I had some issues with throwing the belt. Part of the problem might have been the fact that I was not running a power steering pump. Part of the problem might also been that I had a flywheel and clutch that was less than 20 pounds, total. So this time around I wanted something that would allow me to set the belt tension. It also adds a little bling.

PM me for my thoughts on cams.

Andrew
Old 04-22-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Andrew

Did the factory truck spark plug wires clear your Edelbrock headers?
I've been reading that the metal surrounds interfere w other brands.

Also, did the L92 dipstick clear?

Great progress by the way!

-Shaun-
Old 04-22-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Andrew

Did the factory truck spark plug wires clear your Edelbrock headers?
I've been reading that the metal surrounds interfere w other brands.

Also, did the L92 dipstick clear?

Great progress by the way!

-Shaun-
The stock spark plug wires seem to fit fine. A couple of cylinders have the tubes very close to the top of the boots, but as long as they don't touch, I don't worry. The L92 dipstick clears, but I am not be able to close the hood...Same story with the oil filler tube. I think a Corvette dipstick and filler tube are in my future.

Andrew
Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats bad news. I wouldn't think that my 73 has a ton more hood clearance. Maybe keeping the truck stuff isn't going to happen for me...

Is the y-body filler tube and dipstick much different from the f-body stuff?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats bad news. I wouldn't think that my 73 has a ton more hood clearance. Maybe keeping the truck stuff isn't going to happen for me...

Is the y-body filler tube and dipstick much different from the f-body stuff?
I am joking about the hood not closing. It all fits, its just ugly. The F-body and the y-body should be very similar.

Andrew
Old 04-22-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok. Here I was devising a plan to keep the truck accessories, but custom mounting the alt low on the pass side.

...or didtching the VVT and copying you.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a short video of the engine being fired up:

Video Link

Please do Right click and Save Link As.

Sorry about the quality. It was made with a cell phone. LOL

Andrew
Old 04-26-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome!!
You know I'm living vicariously through you until I get mine going, right?
The next video I hope to see is laying some rubber down w/ the L92!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

So I am down to all of the little details that can take a long time to get done. Basically I am down to "connecting the dots." I got a small tube that goes from the power steering reservoir to the power steering pump. That allowed me to install the power steering pulley and finalize the accessory drive with a belt. I really like the Katech belt tensioner. I had some belt throwing issues on the RX7 and I am sure that this will cure any potential issues.

I also mounted the fuse and relay panel that came with the GMPP harness. Originally I thought I wanted to mount it on the radiator support. This would have made it less obvious. The downside to that is that all of the wires would need to be lengthened. I really didn't feel like doing that. Having it on the firewall gives me quick access to all of the fuses and the relays. There is also a "check engine" LED installed in the fuse panel. Having it on the firewall will allow me to quickly glance and see if there are any trouble codes. The number one reason for putting it on the firewall is that it allowed me to cover up some of the holes that were there from the coil and ignition box.

I also installed and bled the new, .700" bore clutch MC. The Keisler kit came with a .750" bore but I wanted a softer pedal and less bearing travel. You can see the hardline going from the MC down along the frame rail. It then mates with the braided line coming off the throw out bearing.

Speaking of MCs. I also changed the brake MC. This one is a 15/16" bore MC from a 1979 Malibu. While I had no issues with my S10 quick take up MC, I was a little concerned about the shallow pushrod dimple. This MC has a very deep pushrod hole as well as a little snap ring that keep the pushrod retained inside the MC.

Tomorrow I need to order some radiator hose couplers from Jags That Run.

Andrew
Old 04-27-2008, 09:34 PM

i have a 03 5.3 with dbw. do most pedals interchange.my drop out didn't come with a pedal.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Look at all that room even with the radiator installed. I love the Corvette accessories. Plenty of room on the passenger side for a GT42R.
Andrew
giggle giggle.

-matt

Quick Reply: 1970 GTO Version 2.0