Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adapting LS computer to other engines...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adapting LS computer to other engines...

Has anyone attempted adapting the LS computer and related sensors, etc to other engine families(Ford, Mopar, Olds, Buick, etc)? Any info on what sensors are absolutely needed to run would be helpful. On the surface it seems this would be less costly than aftermarket options or am I "all wet" in my thinking? Thanks.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would think as long as you could duplicate the Cam and Crank sensor signals on any other engine, you could make that work.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

I know the 98/99ish chevy vans has basicly and old school small block but with the same computer and required sensors as an LS1 style computer. It is becomming somewhat of a popular swap for the 3rd gen crowd. So that may provide a good basis for other swaps.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
I know the 98/99ish chevy vans has basicly and old school small block but with the same computer and required sensors as an LS1 style computer. It is becomming somewhat of a popular swap for the 3rd gen crowd. So that may provide a good basis for other swaps.
Those motors have a crank sensor in the timing cover and a cam sensor in the distributer. So they're not as old school as they appear. Only the real new ones used the 12200411 PCM, I think it 2001 and newer, but might not have been until 2002. Most of those van motors in the 3/4 and one ton vans were 4 bolt mains.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Ya they are definitely not old school at all sorry if I was confusing. I was merely refering to the block when I said old school. The fact that they adapt the sensors is what makes them interesting to me. You are more correct about the years I am sure also.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:01 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know I have read something about adapting the LS PCM`s to older engines. It does work ok if you can find a way to put the crank and cam position sensors on as they are needed to make the computer function and they are a pain to put on an older engine. The rest of the sensors that you need are easy to put on. Let me see if I can find the thread about it.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm specifically thinking about an Olds engine. The crank sensor I don't think would be a real problem mounted externally on the balancer but I'm at a loss on the cam sensor or if it's really needed. Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming...
Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.3 racer
I'm specifically thinking about an Olds engine. The crank sensor I don't think would be a real problem mounted externally on the balancer but I'm at a loss on the cam sensor or if it's really needed. Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming...
The cam sensor is needed to determine the position of the #1 cylinder. The crank turns two revolutions per combustion cycle, so the crank sensor alone is not enough to determine if the cylinder is on the combustion stroke or the overlap stroke. The cam sensor tells the computer that the #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke. This allows for sequential firing of the injectors as well as the rest of the ignition to function properly. So yeah. The crank sensor is kind of important..LOL

Andrew
Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you want port injection on an older engine you would be miles ahead to just go after market. Holley makes a port injection system for the small block, not sure if it's available for a Buick though.

Re'
Old 11-03-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Accel has the "Dual sync" distributor. Produces a cam and crank signal. I used 1 on my 530" HEMI. Worked fine.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a list of parts needed for this conversion. It's been done before.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tp...ighlight=obdii
Old 11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good article. Didn't pertain specifically to Oldsmobile engines, but there's some info on the web where guys have adapted 454 BBC TBI systems to 455 Olds engines by combining the distributors of the 2 engines into one. That would help solve my cam sensor dilemma. It also still looks to be cheaper than aftermarket fuel injection systems if you don't mind using junkyard parts and eBay, and the fact I already have HPTuners.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Why not use the distributor for a cam signal?

Tear down the distributor and mount a GM cam sensor on the inside. You'll have to fabricate a wheel of sorts like where the points went.

I've gone the Holley 950 route, AND the Accel dual sync. The stock GM ECM will beat out both. Your engine will run smooth as silk, and you'll get better mileage.

Quick Reply: Adapting LS computer to other engines...