Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still no Signal at Injectors ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Still no Signal at Injectors ?!?

Ok... continuing from previous thread... 07 5.3 into 84 C10, Current Performance modded stock harness, Wait 4 Me programmed ECU. Have fuel at rail, spark at cylinder. Got a noid test light and have no signal from ECU at injectors. I have 12 volts at injectors w/ key on & 11+ during cranking. I added 2 additional grounds from the aluminum head to engine block & engine block to frame-rail & no change. Got a lame *** Auto Zone OBDII scanner & I have no codes (don't know if this scanner would show a VATS code anyway) so I am basically still unsure if the ECU had the correct prog installed but find it hard to believe I'm so lucky that they screwed Mine up. I checked the engine/ ignition relays in the Current harness and they have continuity so I assume that means they're good but swapped w/ a diff to make sure & still no change.
Talked to both Jesse @ Wait 4 Me & Jared @ Current Perf. Jesse said anything less than 12v & the computer senses a prob and goes into batt saving mode & wont fire - this is why I redid my grounds as he suggested & still nothing. Jared at Current thinks the only real other possibility is the Anti-Theft still on in the programming. I guess I also should mention that Jared (C.P.) says the later (07-up) ECU will not send any signal at all to injectors if VATS is still on so it would do nothing - while Jesse (W. 4 Me) swears up & down that he's correct in that the motor would still start and run 4 ten seconds and shut off if the Anti-theft were still on.
OK...any ideas? I am about sick at this point.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so it wont even fire alittle, there is absolutely no fuel getting through?

is the pcm getting power while it is cranking? did you check the wire that you have hooked into the pcm from the ignition to see that it is a RUN/START not just a RUN?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

No fire and yes the PCM hot is definitely hot and crank AND run, checked several times. And I may be wrong but if I have absolutely no signal at the injector harness from the PCM there is no way fuel could get into the cylinder right...?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

the only 3 things i think it could be is crank sensor, bad or missing ground, or pcm. how many grounds come out of the harness. is it a factory harness?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Modded factory 07 harness. one ground @ pass cyl head & one in block under drivers motor mount. The scan tool communicated fine w/ the ecu & no problems. Could a 7k motor/computer fail? Did Wait 4 me fry it?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

a ground that is built into the harness from the factory is bolted under motor mount? that doesnt sound right, there should be 2 the bolt to the back of head, if its like the older harnesses. i would let wait4me performance decide if the pcm is fried. just as well current performance could have botched the harness.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

The ground on the drivers side was factory. I took the harness off the motor to send it off. I want to make sure there isnt something that i'm missing b4 i send it off.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Did they delete the factory security? It is no longer VATS, its either pass-key or passlock. Pass-key will not even allow it to crank and passlock will not enable fuel. Let me know what you come up with.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, if you have spark, you know it is not the crank trigger, and you also know that the computer is getting the power and grounds needed to work properly.
So if it sparks, but doesn't fire he injectors, that sounds like VATS to me.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jones'n
Well, if you have spark, you know it is not the crank trigger, and you also know that the computer is getting the power and grounds needed to work properly.
So if it sparks, but doesn't fire he injectors, that sounds like VATS to me.
It does not have VATS if it is a 07...I promise you. Theft is taken care of by the data lines in newer vehicles..
Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

it has an anti-theft system, so whatever version of anti-theft it is, the fact is, it does have one.
So to say Vehicle Anti Theft System "VATS" is not a stretch.

Whether it is called Pass-key, passlock, or something else, it is a vehicle anti-theft system.

Something else...
in HP Tuners, it is listed under the OS Section, and to turn them off, you disable "VATS 1" and VATS 2"

Last edited by Jones'n; 11-13-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Launching!

i never said it does not have anti-theft. I was just stating that it does not have VATS, but rather passlock or passkey which are ran through the data lines.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

This is exactly what it sounds like to me (pass-lock). Given how much of a big deal Jesse (wait 4 me) has made of the lack of wanting anything to do w/ the 07 harness each time i've talked to him, I believe they could have missed something. I am going to my local Chevy dealer and see if I can speak w/ a tech regarding the anti-theft in the 07-later vehicles. I'd hate to ship my computer off w/o being completely sure. Jesse's attitude and gets worse and worse each time I call and ask questions (i've called 3 times total in like 2 months). Seems as tho I'm questioning the integrity of his business. I've been very polite and respectful - saying all I want is this to work and it seems like we're missing something. DOES NOT seem very professional.

So when Wait 4 Me got my ECU, I imagine they would use something similar to HP Tuner or LS1 Edit. I had a friend previously use HP Tuner on my 00 Z28. Would wait 4 me have gone in basically the same way...save current (factory) program and the upload a program w/o VATS, remove torque management, etc, or would they have made mods one by one. If they simply load a different program onto the ECU, would the factory Anti-theft still remain b/c it is an 07 and different than previous years?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

One of the things about the newer computers and HP Tuners, there are 2 ways to upload changes to the ECM.
1 is a quick write, the other is a full write.

On the newer ECM's, if you make changes to the OS section of the computer, it will not write unless you do a full write. It is real easy for someone who is in a hurry to turn off the VATs in HP Tuners, then make all the other changes to the file, and do a quick upload.
When this happens, it will not overwrite the OS and turn the VATS off. Instead, it will make all other changes, and when he saves the file on his computer, it will show that he turned the VATS off, but that does not mean that it actually got written on to the ECM.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Launching!

I put in remote starts at my job so I bypass anti theft daily. If it IS an 07, your anti theft system uses PASSLOCK (resister code) and PASSKEY 3 (transponder/chip in key). It is called a passkey plus system. That much I know..whether you actually have a 07 pcm or not and if tuning software can bypass this type of anti theft, I do not know.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Well I talked to the shop foreman at my local Chevy dealer. It basically goes along w/ what you're saying Samh, it sounds like the anti-theft is still active for whatever reason. They were telling me however, that if I do not have the BCM hooked up from the donor that it may not be able to communicate as it needs to w/ the comp. They were telling me that if the BCM is not there to send a signal to the ECU it may not recognize that the engine is turning over and send the signal to the injectors. I realize that they are looking at this from an OEM perspective and they could not tell me whether ECU changes would eliminate the need for the BCM to be used in the swap. Have all the 06 & prior LS family motors used a BCM also or is this new for 07 & later?
I guess I am going to have to make another dreaded call to Wait 4 Me and try to tell him that something is definitely wrong. This sukz. Man I thought getting an 07 w/ no miles was great until now. Figures.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Default no injector pulse

sounds like your pcm isnt receiving theft deterrent message.Apparently your pcm needs to be reflashed to disable theft deterrent.I dont know if on yor 07 pcm if you connect an bypass module but you may want to check into it.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Launching!

I believe the trucks started with passlock around 2000 and stopped in either 06 or 07 when they switched to passkey plus. Pretty much anything with data related anti theft communicates with the BCM, but you should have no problem either disabling it with hptuners or efilive OR rewriting your PCM to an earlier operating system or one without anti theft in the first place. You cannot use a bypass module unless you have the ignition cylinder/key/and BCM because they required programming to actually be able to bypass the key. Getting my drift?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Fwiw..

Originally Posted by samh_08
I believe the trucks started with passlock around 2000 and stopped in either 06 or 07 when they switched to passkey plus. Pretty much anything with data related anti theft communicates with the BCM, but you should have no problem either disabling it with hptuners or efilive OR rewriting your PCM to an earlier operating system or one without anti theft in the first place. You cannot use a bypass module unless you have the ignition cylinder/key/and BCM because they required programming to actually be able to bypass the key. Getting my drift?
I just looked at the security on the pcm, in my 07 5.3 Silverado.[Stocker]
Only 2 listed:{G1201} Anti theft config, and {G0801} Column lock option. 1201 value is class-2. 0801 is no.

Class2 Serial data, PWM, and none, are listed under description.
The possible values shown for my truck, are either class-2, or none.
The Serial data A/T is listed for Vettes, Holden, etc.
Pwm is listed for f-body.
Don't know if this helps, or not...
Old 11-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Like I said...Theft is run through data (aka serial data or Class 2 data)

Im guessing you are looking at these theft options through tuning software correct Old Geezer?

Quick Reply: Still no Signal at Injectors ?!?