Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel return bung- top or bottom of tank?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel return bung- top or bottom of tank?

Just about done with the fuel tank for the mini- should I put the bung for the return line at the top of the tank or the bottom? Top would be easiest, but I'm thinking that it may introduce airrate the fuel in the tank with the return fuel "splashing" in. If I put it at the bottom I don't know if the additional pressure on the line will mess with the fuel pressure regulator (I'm using the vette style fuel filter with the integral return). What do you think?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:23 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You ideally want it to enter in the top into a hose or tube that forces it down to the bottom of the tank.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree that that would be optimal, but would just the bung with no tube be a bad thing? I kind of have to have it at the top facing the front of the car- it can't be directly on top, so adding a tube would be more of a PITA. I don't want to do it if I don't have to.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrunner 45
I agree that that would be optimal, but would just the bung with no tube be a bad thing? I kind of have to have it at the top facing the front of the car- it can't be directly on top, so adding a tube would be more of a PITA. I don't want to do it if I don't have to.
I set mine up that way. Can hear the fuel splashing back down into the tank when the FP runs. Sort of like a fountain.

But I am also running a carb and plan to alway have more than a third of a tank. If you are running FI you really need some type of sump in the tank. The return line should run into the sump to keep it full.

Did you say mini? What sort of car are you working on?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

The pressure at the top or bottom of the tank will be the same. So dont worry about that issue.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

I have my return in the top of the tank and it seems to be fine. I put a 10an bulkhead fitting in the right rear corner of the tank and the 6an return comes in at the top left corner.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Been "discussing" the "heated fuel problems" on another site. I came across this info. An interesting read:
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/58...scription.html
Old 12-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

I have allways put in top,if heat in question you could run one those cool cans maybe??

You got any pics the build?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

older pic- I need to snap some new ones to upload.
Body is off now, finished brakes, charging system, steering, exhaust, and just finishing fuel system. Then body can go back on and all I'll have left is interior tinwork and wiring.
Attached Thumbnails fuel return bung- top or bottom of tank?-mvc-008s.jpg  
Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

That is a SWEET project
Old 12-24-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

i have always run mine up top, into free air space-i had a problem with one once when i ran it down low, would raise the fuel pres because of the restiance fighting pushing fuel into fuel, but some havent had this problem
Old 12-24-2008, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

I added a sump to my tank with only one hookup and am running the return on the top of the tank, I agree with the sounds like a fountain comment, it's kind of annoying. I figured that running the return into the sump is just adding hot fuel closer to the feed than if you dump it back somewhere else in the tank. Once I have all my tinwork in and add some sound baffling I hope I won't be able to hear the fuel returning to the tank, plus right now I only have a couple gallons in there so the return fuel is falling a long way, do you have any pictures of the tank? It might help form a more informed decision. Cool project, gotta love Ls1s in little British cars!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cooks 7
I added a sump to my tank with only one hookup and am running the return on the top of the tank, I agree with the sounds like a fountain comment, it's kind of annoying. I figured that running the return into the sump is just adding hot fuel closer to the feed than if you dump it back somewhere else in the tank. Once I have all my tinwork in and add some sound baffling I hope I won't be able to hear the fuel returning to the tank, plus right now I only have a couple gallons in there so the return fuel is falling a long way, do you have any pictures of the tank? It might help form a more informed decision. Cool project, gotta love Ls1s in little British cars!
Well, I guess I'll be ok with the bung at the top- loud exhaust = no fountain noise. I don't have my camera here, I'll snap some pics of the tank and rest of the car on Friday.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Very neat project

Just us a bulkhead fitting and use a piece of hard tube on the inside that goes down to near the bottom. You can certainly just dump the fuel in the top if you like.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Please post up some more pics. Thats nuts getting that motor in there,people dont realize how small they are till they see one in person. I just sold my 79S =(
Old 12-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Teching In

More Mini piccies!!!
Neat as heck!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ketzer
More Mini piccies!!!
Neat as heck!

search for more posts by him. he had put up a bunch of pics before. i remember its a cool ride.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:06 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

i would not put the return near the pickup. depending on the pressure and amount of fuel in the tank, it may cause an aeriation effect. could affect the volume of fuel going to the motor.
not likely, but possible.

Quick Reply: fuel return bung- top or bottom of tank?