Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 into 95 Mercedes SL600 R129 body

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChriswUFgator
Unless he got the motor for free, and then also gets every part he needs for free, then I don't see how he's ever going make that power on that budget.

And if he pulls that off, then he's gonna be my new best friend since I'd love to know where people give away custom headers, free blowers, free cams...

No way this is happening for the budget he's claiming.
You obviously don't read very well. Look at the previous post to mine-

Now read this- A lot of us run truck motors for $300, a master power t70 is around $700, and DIYing your piping is pretty cheap. You don't need internals for 550-600whp on a truck motor. What he said is entirely doable.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by themachasy
You obviously don't read very well. Look at the previous post to mine-

Now read this- A lot of us run truck motors for $300, a master power t70 is around $700, and DIYing your piping is pretty cheap. You don't need internals for 550-600whp on a truck motor. What he said is entirely doable.
Well ok, then let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he makes his own headers. Not that I'd ever want to do that personally, but I do agree it would save him a lot of money.

But then what's the investment he's going to have in new cams (cause' he's certainly not building those himself), the modded manifold (cause he's certainly not building that himself), custom tuning (cause he's not going to be able to do that himself), dyno time (cause' he probably doesn't have a dyno in his garage, right?), and on and on. There's a lot of pricey bits and pieces here. You'd already be at or above his budget, and you still wouldn't be anywhere near the 600whp at that he's talking about.

I guess there are two things I'm not understanding:

1: What's his plan for getting the 600rwhp at 10psi that he's talking about?

and,

2: (this is the biggie) How in hell does he expect to do that on this budget?

Everybody wants to keep cracking on me, and saying "well you don't understand what XYZ motor is capable of", but all I'm getting are these vague answers that don't answer the question. I know LS1's can make sick power, but a true LS1 has higher compression than an LQ4, and that's a factor in their potential output vs. an LQ4. So is he going to modify that also? If so, then where does that fit into the budget? Or is he just going to take advantage of the lower compression and go with higher boost? If so, what blower or turbo setup is he planning on using? And where does all of that fit into the budget?

Specifically, how is this guy possibly going to get 600whp at 10psi on this budget, and where's the parts list?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But then what's the investment he's going to have in new cams (cause' he's certainly not building those himself), the modded manifold (cause he's certainly not building that himself), custom tuning (cause he's not going to be able to do that himself), dyno time (cause' he probably doesn't have a dyno in his garage, right?), and on and on. There's a lot of pricey bits and pieces here. You'd already be at or above his budget, and you still wouldn't be anywhere near the 600whp at that he's talking about.
1. LSX only have 1 cam and they are not very pricey. For his goals the stock cam from a Z06 vette would be perfect and cheap.

2. All of the things you listed as not doable by himself are certainly within the abilities of most people that build their own headers. Just because you don't have the knowledge to do something yourself don't expect that others can't.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:32 PM
rao
TECH Resident

B.S., man. Read what he actually wrote, but that you cut out. He's saying he's going to have the fastest sl in the world, how he doesn't need forged internals because he's only going to 600whp, how it's gonna be less than the cost of repairing the benz motor, yada, yada, yada.

He said what he said, it's all there in black and white.
You have no idea what you are talking about, but it is fun to watch you try to look like you do

I hope cdk can figure out to ho make an intake manifold for the turbo
Old 01-11-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by rao
You have no idea what you are talking about, but it is fun to watch you try to look like you do

I hope cdk can figure out to ho make an intake manifold for the turbo
More B.S., generic, non-specific, crap-talk that doesn't answer the question.

And are you seriously telling me that this guy is what? Gonna cast his own manifolds at home? Ya, I'd love to see that...
Old 01-11-2009, 02:44 PM
rao
TECH Resident

I am telling you that you don't need a different intake manifold to run a turbo on that engine. If you knew half of what you think you know you would definitely know that.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Skele4door
1. LSX only have 1 cam and they are not very pricey. For his goals the stock cam from a Z06 vette would be perfect and cheap.
What's the $$$ we're talking here, then?

Originally Posted by Skele4door
2. All of the things you listed as not doable by himself are certainly within the abilities of most people that build their own headers. Just because you don't have the knowledge to do something yourself don't expect that others can't.
Anybody can buy a pipe kit and a torch. That's not why I said I wouldn't want home-made headers...
Old 01-11-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by rao
I am telling you that you don't need a different intake manifold to run a turbo on that engine. If you knew half of what you think you know you would definitely know that.
That's funny, since he was talking about a supercharger...
Old 01-11-2009, 02:51 PM
rao
TECH Resident

That's funny, since he was talking about a supercharger...
Then he really screwed up when he built the exhaust manifolds the way he did

Keep at it, you are demonstrating a lot of knowledge here, I am sure we will all continue to benefit....
Old 01-11-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by rao
Then he really screwed up when he built the exhaust manifolds the way he did

Keep at it, you are demonstrating a lot of knowledge here, I am sure we will all continue to benefit....
Just going by his own comments, man:

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Forged internals, are not needed in this application. Above 600 WHP they are recommended, and will give you more room for error in the tune. The rods' weak link are the bolts, and the crank is good to much more than I am expecting. I do not expect this engine to last 100,000 miles at this level, but I have one that has 20,000 hard miles on it and a crank pulling (tight supercharger belt) Procharger on it without problems.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:00 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Since you appear to be in College, I would expect much better reading comprehension. That post is discussing ANOTHER ls1 that he has. A simple glance at the manifolds that he has already built makes it obvious that he plans to use a turbo. You should probably quit while you are ahead.

Your best bet is to sit back and wait for him to fail and THEN you can trot out your superior knowledge about he you knew he couldn't do it.

If you want to keep looking foolish then keep it up. For example you might want to consider what type of intake manifold one would use with a Procharger, even if you understood what you were quoting .
Old 01-11-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by rao
Since you appear to be in College, I would expect much better reading comprehension. That post is discussing ANOTHER ls1 that he has. A simple glance at the manifolds that he has already built makes it obvious that he plans to use a turbo. You should probably quit while you are ahead.

Your best bet is to sit back and wait for him to fail and THEN you can trot out your superior knowledge about he you knew he couldn't do it.

If you want to keep looking foolish then keep it up.
I'm not in college. I graduate law school at the end of this semester, but thanks for your concern.

And I haven't been paying any attention to his photos, I'm just going from his original comments where he was talking about putting a blower on it. If that plan changed somewhere down the line, then great, but he's still not getting it done for <$4k...which has been my point all along.

Keep coming up with the crap-talk non-answers...
Old 01-11-2009, 03:11 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Impressive - I graduated from law school in 1988

You might want to take a look at the pictures so that there will be a chance that you will know what he is talking about.

He already has the project more than 50% done. His budget and original power goals are very reasonable. You can say that you disagree, but that doesn't make you right.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by rao
Impressive - I graduated from law school in 1988
Ya, prove it.

Originally Posted by rao
You might want to take a look at the pictures so that there will be a chance that you will know what he is talking about.
Ya, I looked at them earlier when I first read your snarky comment. When I was arguing with CDK on benzworld, those pics weren't even posted yet. My argument with him on the other board was already over before he ever posted the new pics showing he was setting it up for a turbo. The only pic I saw before that was the original one, showing him dropping in the motor.

And meanwhile, he was going on and on about all the LS1's he's built with blowers, and how the crank will hold up great under the stress from a supercharger belt, etc. etc. So excuse my assumption that be was going with a blower, it wasn't exactly off-base.

And in any event, I STILL don't see how he's getting 600rwhp for <$4k. If that happens, I'll eat my hat. Actually I don't even wear hats, but I'll go buy one and eat it.

Originally Posted by rao
He already has the project more than 50% done. His budget and original power goals are very reasonable. You can say that you disagree, but that doesn't make you right.
2 way street. And 700+ crank hp for a <$4k budget isn't "very reasonable" in my book.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:19 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Ya, prove it.

Ya, I looked at them earlier when I first read your snarky comment. When I was arguing with CDK on benzworld, those pics weren't even posted yet. My argument with him on the other board was already over before he ever posted the new pics showing he was setting it up for a turbo. The only pic I saw before that was the original one, showing him dropping in the motor.

And meanwhile, he was going on and on about all the LS1's he's built with blowers, and how the crank will hold up great under the stress from a supercharger belt, etc. etc. So excuse my assumption that be was going with a blower, it wasn't exactly off-base.

And in any event, I STILL don't see how he's getting 600rwhp for <$4k. If that happens, I'll eat my hat. Actually I don't even wear hats, but I'll go buy one and eat it.

2 way street. And 700+ crank hp for a <$4k budget isn't "very reasonable" in my book.
Ya, prove it yourself When I do prove it, what will it get me? Are you suggesting that I am not an attorney? Because I know for a fact that I am and have been for quite a while.

You are not making yourself look any smarter.

Ya Ya Ya Ya, you kids today are funny
Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Hmmmm Chris why don't you just chill, like everyone else said. Why do you care if he puts an LQ4 in the car, and why do you care about how much power he plans to make? If he says he plans on 600 than just say "sweet man, can't wait to see it". If he says he can do it for 4k just say "damn thats cheap". No one gives a rats *** about what you do for a living, and that your in school. Like previously stated, just sit back, relax, mind your own business and wait for him to finish the build. Then, even if he doesn't hit his HP goal, say something like "Too bad you didn't hit 600 man, thats a badass car" or if you don't like it just don't say anything at all.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Ya, prove it.

First I ruin the car, next I will never get it running, next I will never get 600WHP out of a van engine, and finally I can't get it done for $4000 (which may be a miscommunication)

I apologize if I misrepresented getting 600WHP out of the car for less than $4000, but this doesn't make you an less of ignorant fool. Being on two threads, I had not clearly stated the monetary expenditure of the turbocharger, and related components (Intercooler $300, Borg Warner SC400 76mm turbo $550, Tial 60mm wastegate $550, BOV $100, 42# injectors(at their limit) $300, Aluminum IC piping $150, Electronic boost controller (not necessary, but a good idea) $350, and misc hardware $100)

The car is set up for the turbo install, as you can see in the pictures. The turbo will go on next year, as I would just like to drive it NA for a while. I will still make more power NA than the stock M120 for much less than $2000, I will elaborate to make it clear.

I have added up the total expenditure to date, and kept all reciepts, including consumables and have a grand to date total of $1403.00. This does not include the engine, which I have an offer to trade the M120 even up for the "Van" engine trans, so that would be a no expense proposition. I expect to have around $2000 in the NA build (much less than the original thought), and with tuning $300 and parts above come out with an additional $2700 for the turbo add on. This will put the total forced induction build to $4700, add in 10% for goofs and get $5300.

This is my hobby, wrong or right. In the grand scheme of life, just a silly adventure to keep the mind active thinking "outside the box". Many offer resistance, and argue, because they cannot fathom this debauchery. In the end, it is just a pile of metal for the enjoyment of the owner. If the M120 R129 was a reliable auto, we probably would'nt be having this discussion, as it would have been worth more than the $4000 that I paid for it, and the M120 would be worth much more than a "Van" engine.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

How bout the one guy that is being a bitch by starting pointless arguements over nothing and giving the guy crap about his build shut the **** up and let him post here with his progress for the rest of us to enjoy and look at without seeing some sort of a bitch fight ruining this thread.

Just my .02..

Good work with the Car bro, don't worry about anything else. This stuff has alot of time in it, I know from experience with mine. Keep it up.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

so much hate in MBworld
**** those haters srsly

i was just dreaming about this swap this last weekend lol

do u have to move any of the steering component / suspension geometry at all ?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

That Benz is a nice piece. Nice work too!

Only thing that KILLS me is the fact that MB stuck with the steering box for so long. Rack and pinion steering would have made those things a nice handling machine.

They handle like a fricking old ton truck hauling chickens to market!

Can you say German engineering? WTF

Quick Reply: LQ4 into 95 Mercedes SL600 R129 body