Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 into 95 Mercedes SL600 R129 body

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Germans can engineer the hell out of a car but they can't do it as efficiently or cheap as anybody else lol. Working on a German car is like a damn Rubiks cube.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually I find german car easy to work on. Try working on a cadillac these days! Oh and I am a **** house lawyer does that count? Back on topic, the build still looks good and yes, you can get 600hp for $4k outa a van motor.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
blah, way to much reading. This is like watching womans basketball.
Your gay and so is your truck! LOL! Put an ls in your benz! so what if it is the family car!!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by b005td
so much hate in MBworld
**** those haters srsly

i was just dreaming about this swap this last weekend lol

do u have to move any of the steering component / suspension geometry at all ?
The passenger side idler arm will have to be lowered, as it hits the starter while turning hard right. I am about to tackle that in the next day or so and see if what I can do without creating any bump steer, then I can do the downpipe and exhaust. The three obstacles in the swap are the trans tunnel, which needs to be modified, the crossmember (lowered 3/4) and the Idler arm. It certainly would have been nice for the car to have rack and pinion, but then the rack would have definately needed to be lowered.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

Better yet, Replace that box with a rack. Youy'll take 30 lbs. off the front.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfg455
Actually I find german car easy to work on. Try working on a cadillac these days! Oh and I am a **** house lawyer does that count? Back on topic, the build still looks good and yes, you can get 600hp for $4k outa a van motor.

It is amazing that this car has an extraordinarily complicated engine, a mechanical top that has about 1,000 parts but uses the same steering as a 32 Ford.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

The rack would have to go too low, I believe.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by rao
Are you suggesting that I am not an attorney?
Well you gotta admit, man, there aren't too many lawyers, doctors, etc., who've been in business for two decades, but are still pimping a 22 year-old Mazda and an 18 year-old 3 series. If you're just keeping it real, then more power to you, but sorry if it seems unlikely...

Originally Posted by rao
You are not making yourself look any smarter.

Ya Ya Ya Ya, you kids today are funny
And none of this back-and-forth d!ck measuring answers my question about how he's going to do this engine swap and get 600rwhp for <$4k like he said, now does it?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:17 AM
rao
TECH Resident

So now you want to compare bank balances? You just keep getting dumber and dumber. I don't own a Mazda and am not "pimping" anything

This is silly - you go ahead and believe what you want, particularly that you know something about cars. I don't want to further clutter this thread, it is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by luckyhenriksen
Hmmmm Chris why don't you just chill, like everyone else said. Why do you care if he puts an LQ4 in the car, and why do you care about how much power he plans to make? If he says he plans on 600 than just say "sweet man, can't wait to see it". If he says he can do it for 4k just say "damn thats cheap". No one gives a rats *** about what you do for a living, and that your in school. Like previously stated, just sit back, relax, mind your own business and wait for him to finish the build. Then, even if he doesn't hit his HP goal, say something like "Too bad you didn't hit 600 man, thats a badass car" or if you don't like it just don't say anything at all.
If you read the comments on the thread, these guys brought it up, calling me all sortsa stuff. I don't just bounce from forum to forum beating my chest for no reason. I saw this guy posting about doing this swap and how he's going to turn 600rwhp for <$4k, and just couldn't understand the math. Then when I asked him about it, and said that his budget was too low, all of a sudden I'm a magazine-racing, mooching, douchebag, and an idiot, blah blah blah. So I was just responding to the crap people posted. I guess I'm not too old to play in the sandbox yet.

But as to CDK, I really do appreciate his efforts, that's never been my issue. I respect anything that makes 500 or 600whp, but I just couldn't understand the math that he's talking about with his budget. That has been my issue with him right from the beginning, it just seemed unrealistic to me. And as soon as I said "How are you possibly gonna get this done at that price?", I got a lot of crap back but no answer.

CDK finally posted a list what he's spent on the other forum, and it answered my question (and FWIW, it was higher than <$4k), and so I'll let it whole thing drop. I'm really not out to ruffle feathers.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

How bout you all drop it on both sides and let the thread go it's way for the guy..
Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Car Craft built a cheapo 6.0 with L92 heads and a carb induction system that cranked out 550 HP, for 4k or somewhere close to it.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

All I'm going to say is to UF guy, do your research a little more. If you're a hands on person a turbo setup can be done for $4k or less. Look at the turbo turd (fairmont). A guy with a welder and some experience can do most anything. You can do flipped truck headers and a y pipe on a stock-z06-cammed 5.3 and make around 600whp, that fairmont is proof. You made this whole pissing match about budget, and I'm not certain why. If a person has a welder, and some metal, they can fab everything they'll need for something save the actual turbocharger... A welder and some ingenuity go a long way, and I don't see how you fail to see that...

To CDK- keep up the good work, I can't wait to see this car running.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

So about the build.........
Old 01-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Talking Keep up the good work!!!

The pissing match about the budget comes from the elitist Euro community. Like Chris(fumigator what ever)stated in the MB thread, everything starts at 1k and goes up from there. We don't have to pay the elitist price to mod our cars. Here is a quote from CDK with the budget so you can get off the subject and go buy your normal maintenance MAF's at 350 a pop...

Originally Posted by cdk4219
I have added up the total expenditure to date, and kept all reciepts, including consumables and have a grand to date total of $1403.00. This does not include the engine, which I have an offer to trade the M120 even up for the "Van" engine trans, so that would be a no expense proposition. I expect to have around $2000 in the NA build (much less than the original thought), and with tuning $300 and parts above come out with an additional $2700 for the turbo add on. This will put the total forced induction build to $4700, add in 10% for goofs and get $5300.
To the OP, great job so far, keep up the good work. I cant wait to see you van motor fail, lol.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by themachasy
All I'm going to say is to UF guy, do your research a little more. If you're a hands on person a turbo setup can be done for $4k or less. Look at the turbo turd (fairmont). A guy with a welder and some experience can do most anything. You can do flipped truck headers and a y pipe on a stock-z06-cammed 5.3 and make around 600whp, that fairmont is proof. You made this whole pissing match about budget, and I'm not certain why. If a person has a welder, and some metal, they can fab everything they'll need for something save the actual turbocharger... A welder and some ingenuity go a long way, and I don't see how you fail to see that...

To CDK- keep up the good work, I can't wait to see this car running.
Ya, I do have to admit I'm real surprised by how cheap you guys can get stuff done over here, so you definitely have a point about that. Even though in the end I was right about CDK's budget being higher than he thought, I am still amazed it's even as low as it is.

It's a total wet dream to be able to get a good custom tune including dyno time for $300, or cams for $200, etc., on a german car. I'm used to everything starting off at an arm and a leg and just getting worse from there.

In the spirit of burying the hatchet, here's what my M120 dyno'd out at stock, so now when CDK gets done he will have something to use as a benchmark on where he stands with his conversion:

I should probably point out that this dyno was a little weak. I had a bad o2 sensor on one bank, a crappy MAF on the other bank, I forgot to unhook the ASR/ASC module and it was cutting in especially on the second run, and then it was a 103 degree day. So I figure the car was down a good 15rwhp over normal. The normal stock output for the GenII M120 is around 320-330rwhp, depending its running condition. The GenI M120's like CDK's was had a different throttle system, and those have an enrichment function at WOT, so they will probably make a little more power than mine, but I haven't seen a dyno sheet for a stock GenI, so I'm just guessing there. There are only two M120 dyno sheets I've seen floating around the net, and one of them is mine, so it's pretty hard to get any info on these.

So anyway, I will be interested to see what CDK's swap produces, relative to the original motor, when he gets it finished. At least this will give everybody a benchmark to compare his swap to.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by rao
So now you want to compare bank balances? You just keep getting dumber and dumber. I don't own a Mazda and am not "pimping" anything
Oh really?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...-pictures.html

Originally Posted by rao
This is silly - you go ahead and believe what you want, particularly that you know something about cars. I don't want to further clutter this thread, it is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about.
Ya, nice, more crap-talk. I was right about the cost of this project from the beginning. But I love how, according to you, I'm still wrong. Gimme an effin' break.

And you've yet to demonstrate that you're an expert on anything other than a 21 year-old Mazda with chunks of bondo falling off of it and no two body panels that are the same color. Ya man, I believe everything you say 110%, that car just screams "lawyer" and "huge bank balance" for sure. And ditto with the 15yr old Brokedown Motor Works. So fine, I'll leave you in your corner, and you leave me in mine.

I do agree, though, this back and forth is stupid, but then you're the one that keeps making all these wisecracks at my expense, and then blaming me for responding to you. WTF? So if you want to let it drop, then let it drop. That doesn't mean you can kick me in the ribs and get in the last word then expect me to shut up, it means you actually let it drop.

I already made my peace with CDK, you're the one dragging this crap out...
Old 01-13-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

kids over there at the benz forum crack me up....that motor should make more power, be more reliable, and MUCH easier to get parts for.....
Old 01-13-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ChriswUFgator
Did you not read my post #27 above in this thread???

I already went ahead and posted your comments from your thread at BenzWorld for you, because I kinda thought you might start trying to backpedal (and I was right), and so I figured "let's head that one off at the pass..."

Your comments are contained in post #39 on your thread on BenzWorld. Or here, I've even been a good sport and highlighted them for you, bring back any memories? http://www.benzworld.org/forums/3250676-post71.html

There are some other little funny gems in there too, like how you're going to have the fastest one in the world, but I'll leave those for another time. Right now, I'm still absolutely dyin' to hear how you're going do this engine swap and then get 550 or 600whp out of it for the $4k would cost to fix the original motor, like you said.

Or, if you'd like to just go ahead and admit that it isn't gonna happen, then of course you're welcome to do that too and I'll drop it, since that was my point from the beginning. Otherwise, I continue to call B.S. on your claims of 600whp, or even 550whp, out of this motor with just bolt-ons (some of which won't even work for this application anyway), and let alone for less than the cost of fixing the original motor like you said.

Or better yet, even explain how you're going to get 600 horesepower at the wheels out of an LQ4 that's 300hp at the crank, for under $4k. Just the blower, tuning, and dyno time would wind up costing a good chunk of that amount, and then you're still looking at custom headers, and right there you're already over the cost you are claiming, and you're still nowhere close to being done.
Fucken troll
Old 01-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by slick1851
Fucken troll
I may be a lotta things, but that ain't one of them. And by your logic, if I'm a troll on the LS1 tech forum then CDK'd be a troll on the MB tech forum.

Quick Reply: LQ4 into 95 Mercedes SL600 R129 body