Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bumpity....
Old 05-31-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

What would you like to know? I have been driving it pretty much daily for the last few months, with the only problems being header bolts loosening a couple of times, and the hydraulic suspension acting up. The suspension apparently does not know the car is moving, and the front end raises up when accellerating hard.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Have you been to the strip with it yet ? If I remember correctly, these have 2.65 non posi rear. Are there any solutions for that ? What does it wind up weighing ? Have you been able to run all the power accessories ?
Old 11-02-2020, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize this is an old thread but do you recall what oil pan you used? And was the steering a big deal? Thanks
Old 11-02-2020, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 2,434 Posts

OP is still around. See if he drops by....
Old 11-07-2020, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Duh Badass
I realize this is an old thread but do you recall what oil pan you used? And was the steering a big deal? Thanks
GTO pan, the steering had to be modified, but I think now there may be a smaller clockable starter that May not interfere with the steering idler. Any time I swap a Mercedes (5 of them) it’s quite a bit of work. Trans tunnel rework, crossmember rework and steering all takes the same real estate as the engine. Then the exhaust is difficult as well. Then getting a large enough driveshaft in the tunnel is a challenge.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cdk4219
GTO pan, the steering had to be modified, but I think now there may be a smaller clockable starter that May not interfere with the steering idler. Any time I swap a Mercedes (5 of them) it’s quite a bit of work. Trans tunnel rework, crossmember rework and steering all takes the same real estate as the engine. Then the exhaust is difficult as well. Then getting a large enough driveshaft in the tunnel is a challenge.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate your insight and sharing your experience.
G Atsma (11-10-2020)
Old 03-18-2021, 11:59 AM

Thanks CDK. I'm new here. I bought a 1996 S600 that is perfect - except a weak motor and bad tranny. Everything else works. I have a wrecked 1999 Camaro with B4C package. I am a bit handy. Would you suggest I try the conversion? I love the way the cars drive, especially on the highway. Did you add the turbo? Did you relocate the idler arm? Did it induce bump steer? Do you have any data on a small starter?
How did you modify crossmember 3/4 inch? Do you still have a picture after mods? Did you have to modify the interior when you modified tranny tunnel? I have the 4160E tranny (are they the same size?). Did you sort out the suspension? My plan is to add Black Art Design coil overs in future.

As to steering and such. I also have a 1992 S500 Presidential I'm restoring. I drove her for many years. The steering and the way the wheels camber is amazing. If you get a chance, drive one and I expect some opinions expressed in this thread may change. I would hate to change the steering at all. Also - some of our clients in Germany say the S600 rear is good for 1000hp. 265 gear is a challenge but I only want a highway driver.

As you can tell, I'm just starting so some questions I probably should know. Thanks for the thread and the hard work and in advance for any assistance. f
Old 03-18-2021, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Hey. Lots of questions!!!! Good to see some activity on the Merc Swap topic. I’m in the process of measuring and planning for my ls in an 500 right now. Hopefully post some pics soon, just working out motor mount design.

Originally Posted by 3843f3
Thanks CDK. I'm new here. I bought a 1996 S600 that is perfect - except a weak motor and bad tranny. Everything else works. I have a wrecked 1999 Camaro with B4C package. I am a bit handy. Would you suggest I try the conversion? I love the way the cars drive, especially on othe highway. Did you add the turbo? Did you relocate the idler arm? Did it induce bump steer? Do you have any data on a small starter?
How did you modify crossmember 3/4 inch? Do you still have a picture after mods? Did you have to modify the interior when you modified tranny tunnel? I have the 4160E tranny (are they the same size?). Did you sort out the suspension? My plan is to add Black Art Design coil overs in future.

As to steering and such. I also have a 1992 S500 Presidential I'm restoring. I drove her for many years. The steering and the way the wheels camber is amazing. If you get a chance, drive one and I expect some opinions expressed in this thread may change. I would hate to change the steering at all. Also - some of our clients in Germany say the S600 rear is good for 1000hp. 265 gear is a challenge but I only want a highway driver.

As you can tell, I'm just starting so some questions I probably should know. Thanks for the thread and the hard work and in advance for any assistance. f
XanderChop (12-02-2023)
Old 03-21-2021, 12:38 PM

Hope we can all work together. Recommended I look for a Lexus LS430 (i think) but Lexus steering too light for me - you can't feel the input from the road... One big issue is hooking up instruments.... Another challenge to overcome. I have a set of nice gauges but will change things. I love to shift, so I may consider a 5 speed (T5 would seem happiest with the 2.65 rear end) but expect I will stay with the auto since there is so much to do.

thanks all...
f

Quick Reply: LQ4 into 95 Mercedes SL600 R129 body