Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mounting the trans cooler to the radiator like you do electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mounting the trans cooler to the radiator like you do electric fan

would this be cool with you guys. mounting it with the tie strap deal like you get with electric fans
Old 01-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Launching!

should be fine, I've seen it done before
Old 01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

should be fine... some transmission builders warn against running cooler only and by passing the heatexchanger in the rad, as the transmission isnt built to run too cool, but at engine temps,

bowtieoverdrives recomends running the return oil from the cooler thru the heat exchanger in the radiator to help get the tranny up to operation temp quicker..
Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Radiator builder recommends against mounting fans or anything else directly to the radiator. Better to build a light frame to attach it to, something like this:

Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems to me that anything you mounted directly to the radiator might rub a hole in it sooner or later. Things are going to move around when you drive, no matter how hard you try to make them solid, where they can't move. My tranny cooler is mounted about 4 inches in front of the radiator.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Launching!

my trans cooler kit from Summit has 1 inch bushings that space it out from the radiator.but it is still mounted with zip ties.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Never liked the idea of anything through the fins of the radiator... the rubbing just seems like a good way to trash a radiator over time.

Use some angle aluminum from the local home improvement store and get creative with some mounts.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ended up fabbing brackets from some stainless pieces they had lying around work for hanging files in file cabinets.

You need to be careful about letting anything not made out of aluminum touch an aluminum radiator. Plastic is OK, but any other type of metal will cause the aluminum to rust.

Zip tieing things to the radiator, I don't know. Too much like bailing wire on a muffler.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't use anything that mounts directly to a radiator core. Even those plastic zip-tie things can eventually wear through. I agree with Pat (as usual) on this one, a light framework of some configuration or brackets that will keep the load off the radiator is the best long-term solution.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Launching!

I've seen those zip tie thingies fail more often than they hold. Granted, I'm in a different sport, but I would think where it's 2 weeks for us might be 2 months for you at the track often.

So your saying that if you put an external tranny cooler, for say a 4l60e, run it through the radiator anyway (after) so that if the cooler cools too much, the radiator will stabilze the temp?

Quick Reply: mounting the trans cooler to the radiator like you do electric fan