Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/4L60E into 67 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand your concern there. One thing you should remember is the grease zerks are going to be more parallel to the ground once the ride height is lowered so if it clears now it will definitely clear when all the weight is one the front end. If you really wanna check now perhaps you could get some gym weights and lay them on some 2x4s on the frame rails.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Very little progress over the past couple of weeks. I pulled body to check frame and it checked out so I have welded up the frame. Since I had the body off and was waiting on the body bushings, I decided to order all the trailing are bushings for the rearend.... After quite a while figuring out the proper combinations of sockets and pipes and steel plates to press out the old bushings and to get the new bushins in, my kid and I got the lowers complete but had problems with the uppers bolts getting lined up and installed properly. I fixed this by throwing money at it.... I bought a pair of UMI Performance upper trail arms. I knew I would need some adjustment to get the pionion angle correct later....

Since I had the body off, I decided to make new adapter plates [the ones that put the engine back farther], shorten my frame stands, and modify my trans mount to work with this new engine placement......

new adapters and shortened frame stands.......

Taking 1/4" out of trans mount on both sides so I can lower center section...

I have also received quite a few parts over the last couple of weeks.....
new Champion aluminum radiator and dual electric fans from ebay....

I also have my Spectra EFI gas tank from rock auto, new vette filter/regulator, body mount bushings and bolts.

I am going to get the body back on and see if this engine placement works. I may have to mod firewall slightly, but if that is it, and the headers fit, I can weld everything up and move on.

Rob
Old 02-28-2009, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

you should put some color on that frame while the body is off! looking good
Old 02-28-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

looking good !!! Always nice to see some progress
Old 02-28-2009, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jomomma
you should put some color on that frame while the body is off! looking good
Damn it jomomma,
The kid wants to clean the frame and paint it while the body is off too. I want to get the engine and trans placement finalized then hit the frame when we go at the body work........... Maybe I need to listen to the boy, huh? If I do that, then I should also run new fuel and brake lines while it is off too. I haven't ordered that stuff yet, more waiting......huh?

dammit

Rob
Old 02-28-2009, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Some great stuff here Rob, I'm planning on doing something like this with my 65. I sent you a PM
Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by robbied31
No I don't. If I did, I wouldn't be snivelling so much.
Rob
Hey Rob, I have a hookup at the Stockton Chevy dealer, he gives me GM parts at his cost. Still not as cheap as GMpartsdirect, but you save on shipping etc. Just let me know if you need anything!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, filling your thread up. You asked about the front springs. Here is a really cheap way to modify the front, and it's even adjustable! This is what I just ordered for mine.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjust...hims,3389.html

You want Item #: 91645552

And for the springs I went with Black Magics #600

http://southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=126
Old 03-03-2009, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. Clean and paint the frame while you're in there. Also you might send some money to BMR and get the support bars that mount between the frame side upper/lower rear control arms.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by g6t6o
Hey Rob, I have a hookup at the Stockton Chevy dealer, he gives me GM parts at his cost. Still not as cheap as GMpartsdirect, but you save on shipping etc. Just let me know if you need anything!
-------------------------------
Sorry, filling your thread up. You asked about the front springs. Here is a really cheap way to modify the front, and it's even adjustable! This is what I just ordered for mine.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjust...hims,3389.html

You want Item #: 91645552

And for the springs I went with Black Magics #600

http://southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=126
Thanks for the info man! I appreciate it! Where is the Stockton Chevrolet. My current jobsite for the next 5 months or so is on the corner of California and Harding in Stockton............

Originally Posted by Stealth71
Looks good. Clean and paint the frame while you're in there. Also you might send some money to BMR and get the support bars that mount between the frame side upper/lower rear control arms.
Stealth, is this a known weakness? or is this for You High Horse Power guys? My LQ4 is staying stock....................................for now.

I started this project with a budget. The more I listen to you guys, the more I have overshoot that budget....
Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by robbied31
Thanks for the info man! I appreciate it! Where is the Stockton Chevrolet. My current jobsite for the next 5 months or so is on the corner of California and Harding in Stockton............

Stealth, is this a known weakness? or is this for You High Horse Power guys? My LQ4 is staying stock....................................for now.

I started this project with a budget. The more I listen to you guys, the more I have overshoot that budget....
I will let you know about the dealer, a coworker's Dad is the parts manager there.

Oh and about spending money, you mentioned upgrading to Disc's. I bought the Kore3 brackets, found some used C5 calipers on the corvette forums for $80, and bought a new set of rotors/pads. That is about as cheap a disc upgrade as you can get! I actually have one extra C5 caliper you are welcome to have, just let me know
Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Rob you back from Spring Training yet?!

Also, where did you pick up the CTS-V pan setup?
Old 03-22-2009, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Yo g6t6o,
I'm back, broke, lazy........tired
I spent the day sand blasting the frame. Hope to have it painted tomorrow up to the front suspension. I bought the CTSV pan from Scoggin Dickey.

Rob
Old 03-22-2009, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

Looks like the car will be a lot of fun hope every thing gos go!!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Been too long since I have updated. I painted the frame from the back all the way up to the front suspension. I don't have the money right now to buy the front end rebuild kit and the disk conversion package yet, so I painted enough to get the body back on the car. finalized engine placement [I hope!], and started replacing the trunk floor before I can install my gas tank. The headers fit now with the new engine placement and the alternator has clearance from the power steering pulley. don't know about rag joint yet.

Few pics.....

By the way, the zebra stripes are POR15 and weldable primer.

I can't finish the trunk because the fenders behind back wheels are shot. There are layers of bondo, fiberglass and who knows what else. Just rotted away. I am picking up patch panels and trunk dropoffs today.

Rob

Last edited by robbied31; 05-07-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: more info...
Old 05-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Robbie glad to see updates.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glad to see the progress. Don't forget about me when your ready to move the donner.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Slow goin'.....
I have the passenger side of the trunk, lower quarter patch panel and trunk dropoff done. As soon as i get the driver's side done, I can put my tank in and start plumbing..... I can't believe the amount of bondo, fiberglass and rot there is here in this small area...

New patch panel

New trunk drop off

Passenger side trunk panel finished...

Now to tackle the drivers side....

Rob
Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

wow, i must say you have done one hell of a good job there! thats a big job, stay on it! looking great.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks like they may have used some chicken wire too... at least these parts are avalible for your chevelle. When I had my 65 I could not get the rear sheet metal to fit right. come to find out It took a nice shoot in the back and the rear brace was bent in and up ward. I searched all over high and low for about 3 years and eventually ended up fabricating something similar. Same with the side drop off's were they conected to the center brace and quarter panel skin... I loved the styling of it but the lack of avalible parts at the time sure was agravating!

Glad to see you have some time to work on and up date this project! Looking good!

Quick Reply: LQ4/4L60E into 67 Chevelle