Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kst8engineer - '71 Chevelle LS1/T56 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the450r
you dont know how long i searched last night to find out if f body radiator could fit in an A body!!!! all i found were into first gen f body. i found a radiator and fan for 125 bucks but i dont know if its out of a vette or f body.do u have any pics of yours or how you got it to fit in there?
I looked back on the earlier pages of the thread to see if I might have some pictures of it, but it doesn't look like I do. I'll try to snap a picture or two of it for you. That was actually one of the simpler parts of the swap. I used the radiator, fans, and even the radiator hoses from the F-body.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

You'll have to excuse the thick layer of dust on everything. Hopefully these two pictures will help you out. You can see the F-body radiator doesn't quite fill up the opening in the radiator support, it left an open area to the driver's side of the radiator. My plan is to fabricate a cold air intake box that brings its air in through this open area.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

you dont know how long i searched last night to find out if f body radiator could fit in an A body!!!! all i found were into first gen f body. i found a radiator and fan for 125 bucks but i dont know if its out of a vette or f body.do u have any pics of yours or how you got it to fit in there?
Just for reference the corvette raditor does not have a filler neck as it has a serpate tank for the coolant where it gets filled, therefore I would stay away from them in an application like this.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kst8engineer
Thanks, hopefully this thread will help your swap go a little smoother. I've been working on building a new box for the trunk floor (fuel pump access), and the box is just about ready to weld in. I'll try to post some details of the box construction in the near future. I'm also close to finishing up the rear disc brake swap, so with any luck, it shouldn't be too long until I can get back to driving it again.
I havent even started yet, just gathering parts at this point but your thread has helped me gather the right parts. I just picked a complete set of LS1 f-body brakes so Ill be going the same route as you. Any luck getting the rear brakes finished up?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bullitt4110
I havent even started yet, just gathering parts at this point but your thread has helped me gather the right parts. I just picked a complete set of LS1 f-body brakes so Ill be going the same route as you. Any luck getting the rear brakes finished up?
I just picked up the brake line adapter fittings for the rear brakes. The same fittings I used on the front will work on the back as well (Edelmann part number 271300).

I ended up dropping the fuel tank back out of the car in order to weld a new box into the trunk floor. I finally got the box welded in this evening, so hopefully before long I'll be able to post some updated pictures of that as well.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

I'm feeling good this evening, I was able to fire up the Chevelle for the first time in a few months. I finally finished the trunk floor rework and was able to reinstall the fuel tank and fire it up for a bit. I also finished the right rear disc brake install. Hopefully tomorrow evening I can finish up the left rear disc brake setup. After that, I need to get my wheel centers powder coated and buy some tires before I can get it back on the road. I'll post some update pics soon.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

are your using the fbody master? im swapping rear discs on to mine and already have the front discs with a new a body master cylinder. (disc/drum) master i was debating on if i needed a old corvette master cylinder (disc/disc) or a distribution block or install an adjustable regulator for the rear brakes to slow the apply. ive done rear disc conversion on my truck with no regulator and it stops fine not any more rear wheel lock up than before with drums. are u using all the fbody distribution and regulators and plumming?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

are u using all the fbody distribution and regulators and plumming?
All of the regulating on a stock newer camaro is done through the ABS block so unless your converting the ABS system aswell it will not work out. If your looking I have a master and booster from a 02 Camaro that Id be willing to sell.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bullitt4110
All of the regulating on a stock newer camaro is done through the ABS block so unless your converting the ABS system aswell it will not work out. If your looking I have a master and booster from a 02 Camaro that Id be willing to sell.
I believe Bullitt is right. I'm not using the ABS block. I'm using the 4th-gen F-body clutch/brake/gas pedals, brake booster, possibly master cylinder, and front and rear disk brakes. Between the master cylinder and the brakes, I'll be using a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. I also have an extra 4th-gen F-body master cylinder and brake booster if anyone is interested.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

No pictures to show yet, but I ended up installing the '99 Trans Am master cylinder along with a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve / combination valve (p/n 260-11179). I fabbed a bracket and mounted the prop valve toward the driver's side of the master cylilnder. I bent up a new hard line from the prop valve to the LF brake, and I made hard line extensions to connect to the existing RF and rear brake lines. I'll try to post up a picture or two before long.

I'd to get the centers of my new wheels powder coated before installation. Any suggestions on powder coaters in the KS/MO/OK area? If so, send me a PM and let me know.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Time for an update... As mentioned before, I installed the '98-'02 F-body master cylinder and booster, and I fabbed up a little bracket to mount a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. The valve also serves as a distribution block and splits the lines out into left front, right front, and rear.

Also, after a bit of caliper and rotor cleanup (although the rotors still don't look very nice), you can see the completed front and rear brake install in the pic below. The one detail I still need to work out is the emergency brake connections on the rear brakes.

Also, I got new wheels and had the wheel centers soda blasted to prep for powder coating. Here are the wheels prepped for blasting:

And here's one after soda blasting:

They're at the powder coater's place now, hopefully they'll be ready in the next week or so. I've got a new set of Nitto Invos on order that should be showing up soon. My original plan was for NT05's for the rear, but the size I needed was on backorder till sometime in November.

I gutted the interior over the weekend, and as soon as the new wheels and tires get here, I'll be able to roll the Chevelle out to clean up the floorplans and treat them with the KBS 3-step cleaning/convering/coating system. After that, it'll be time for the floorpan insulation and carpeting. With fall weather in full swing, I've got the itch to get this thing on the road.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

I just finished installing sound deadening / insulation on the Chevelle this evening. Hopefully tomorrow evening I can get started putting the new carpet in.

I also got the new wheels and tires mounted, so as soon as I get a layer of dirt washed off the car, I'll post a picture.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Hey kst, who are you working for? I'm just curious because I am currently a ME student at The University of Akron. The car is coming along nicely, have any plans for coil overs or tubulars for the suspension?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by yz85608
Hey kst, who are you working for? I'm just curious because I am currently a ME student at The University of Akron. The car is coming along nicely, have any plans for coil overs or tubulars for the suspension?
Hey, yz - I sent you a PM. I'm an ME grad as well, from KSU as you probably guessed.

I picked up a used set of UMI tubular lower control arms for the rear that'll allow me to also install the rear anti-roll bar I've had sitting around for a while. I don't have any current plans for replacing the front control arms, although I would like to upgrade the front anti-roll bar at some point. I've been told that a 2nd-gen Trans Am WS6 sway bar is a good upgrade for the front of a Chevelle.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

great build thread! looking forward to hearing/learning about the new brakes from your updates for when I install the LS1 rears and C5 fronts on my 73 camaro!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

I've been following your thread lots of great info thanks. What kind of sealed did you use on your fuel tank. Did you coat the inside. I thought I seen where you said somewhere about the sealed you used on the welds but I can't seem to find it now. Thanks for the info. And very nice car.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 71ANTICARB
I've been following your thread lots of great info thanks. What kind of sealed did you use on your fuel tank. Did you coat the inside. I thought I seen where you said somewhere about the sealed you used on the welds but I can't seem to find it now. Thanks for the info. And very nice car.
Here's the info on the tank sealing issues: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11241203-post51.html. I don't remember what brand the sealant was, but it seems to have worked well. As I recall, I believe I only coated the outside of the weld, but it would probably be even better if you coated the inside as well.

As an alternative, I've heard a lot of good reports of another product called Red Kote. This may be the best solution. Red Kote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if your having problem sealing the tank, Eastwood does make a tank sealer that you pour into the tank. I have used it on my 48 Ford truck tank and have not had any problem with it doing the job...
Old 11-30-2010, 04:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yz85608
Im also a ME student from the University of Akron! Way to represent!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bczee
if your having problem sealing the tank, Eastwood does make a tank sealer that you pour into the tank. I have used it on my 48 Ford truck tank and have not had any problem with it doing the job...
I agree with Bczee that one of the pour-in sealers would probably be a good way to go. As I understand, that's the way Red Kote works as well. A friend used it recently on a Triumph TR4 gas tank that actually had pinholes in it, and it seems to have sealed up well.

Quick Reply: kst8engineer - '71 Chevelle LS1/T56 build thread