Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx into a early C4? Anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx into a early C4? Anybody?

Hi all. My son is in Iraq until about Aug., '09. We are making plans to install a LS-7 in his '87 Vette coupe. I've been searching around for anybody else that's done an LS into this vintage Vette. I found Armyracer was doing one but his last post on it was from Sept. '08 and it wasn't very far along. Can we get any info or links from/to cars that have this type of conversion? I've found the bell housing to mate the LS to the ZF6 transmission (yes, we converted the old 4+3 to a ZF last year). I've also found the engine mounts. We've found some headers made for this conversion but the motor he has being built right now is a 442ci and the headers are a bit small for this motor so looking for ideas there. Let's limit this thread to doing this swap. Not comments like, "waste of money, won't work, I did one in a '80 Vette, what about putting in a T56, my cousin put a LS in a '67 Chevelle, etc...." Thanks for any help!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search through the old post several users have done C4 swap, I've been reading them, since I'm considering doing one in a C3
Old 02-02-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in the middle of a 84 LS1/T56 swap. However, it sounds like you know most of what I've found out.

I'd recommend Speedhoud mounts, Melsrose Headers (I think you are down to custom headers if you need bigger), and pretty sure there is only one place to get the ZF bell-housing.

I'm very interested in your results. I'd love to do a dry sump set up and LS7, but mine is a lower budget deal. Are you running the dry sump, or converting to f-body pan?

I also assume you searched on Corvette Forum, Digital Corvettes, and Corvette-Guru.

Only thing your didn't already mention is Racetronics makes a nice fuel pump upgrade kit so you can keep stock location pump.

Do you already have a D44 rear? I gotta think the 442 will kill a dana 36.

Good luck w the swap, and please document it. Should be very cool, and I think it will be a more common swap in the future.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 PM

Poconojoe, I did search around and found many many threads about C3's but not any C4's. Maybe I'm just a dope about searching tho.

SubtleZ28, we're going to make it a wet sump with a accumulator. Talking to our builder/tuner he's of the mind that doing a complete true dry sump system isn't the best way to go. Too much plumbing and things to fail. He thinks the engine will stay together fine with an accumulator. I don't know what pan we're going to use tho. That's what I was hoping to find out here. The largest capacity that clears the C4 architecture I think.

Thanks for the advice on that fuel pump setup. We'll look into that one.

Car is originally a 4+3 so it has the D44. We've gutted the car completely, 4 point roll bar, C5 brakes, lexan rear hatch, lightweight fiberglass hood, two Ultrashield aluminum road race seats w/harnesses. We kept the heater core and I fabbed up a custom fan shroud to keep defrost/heat with just and on/off switch for the fan. Car weighs 2790lbs. Should lose some weight with an LS motor vs. the L98 iron block in it now. Full cage will add that back tho.

Let's keep the info coming on the swap, thanks guys.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4
Car is originally a 4+3 so it has the D44. We've gutted the car completely, 4 point roll bar, C5 brakes, lexan rear hatch, lightweight fiberglass hood, two Ultrashield aluminum road race seats w/harnesses. We kept the heater core and I fabbed up a custom fan shroud to keep defrost/heat with just and on/off switch for the fan. Car weighs 2790lbs. Should lose some weight with an LS motor vs. the L98 iron block in it now. Full cage will add that back tho.
Sweet. I'm gutting mine as well. In fact I just got the remainder of the heater core and related out this AM (not easy - crazy # of fasteners). I'd like to see pics, especially of how you kept defrost only - I considered doing that also.

Sounds like our builds are similar, although I cannot run Lexan in the High Speed Autocross Street Tire class I intend to run in. Though 4 pt bar, C5 brakes and aluminum RR buckets are in the near future. Glad to see a weight. I'm hoping for under 3000 w full tank of gas and me in it, I should get there.

As for pan, some guys have run C5 vette style, but it makes header clearance a problem. F-body pan fits nice, you could probly use an f-body Canton road race pan. I was thinking I will add this to my stock f-body set up:
http://improvedracing.com/

You may also get a kick out of this thread I started in the Road Racing section:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-raci...cer-build.html

What is your location?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

just got my quick time BH in for the zf. havent fit it yet. waiting on flywheel to come in. speedhound has the motor plates but i dont plan on using those as they move the motor foward about an inch. I want to keep the trans in the org place. going to use the ones from work so the motor should sit a lil lower and back futher. Proably going to have to cut the fire wall...but thats ok with me.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

There was a guy on the forum a couple of years ago who went by the name C4Ls1 or vice cersa. He had a swapped Yellow 92 or 94 with his own LS1 swap.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sinisterC4
just got my quick time BH in for the zf. havent fit it yet. waiting on flywheel to come in. speedhound has the motor plates but i dont plan on using those as they move the motor foward about an inch. I want to keep the trans in the org place. going to use the ones from work so the motor should sit a lil lower and back futher. Proably going to have to cut the fire wall...but thats ok with me.
You better check that thing out well before you go to far, I used one and the bore hole did not fit over the tranny collar, and there is no provision for the plug that protrudes out the front of the tranny. All these things can be overcome but you better be or have a machinist.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Which bellhousing did you use to mate the LS1 to the ZF?
Old 03-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Hi I'm in the process of getting the part together to drop in a lq4 into my 84 c4.And here is some of the info I have found. the fbody oil pan should work also have been told that the headers that fit fbodys should work on c4.here is alot of info that takes some time to look through and find but should be here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ml?forum_id=48. Also what motor mounts did you find I was going to make my own because I also need the motor to sit in the same spot so I can use the 700r4 in the car.hope this helps you out
Old 03-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Which bellhousing did you use to mate the LS1 to the ZF?
used the quick time bell housing they make for the LS1 to ZF6, but like I said the quality was not great and takes some work to make it correct.
Melrose make headers that do work great, but they seem to forget to put o2 bungs in them.
Ls2 corevette pan fits fine.
Made my own motor mounts.

Quick Reply: LSx into a early C4? Anybody?