Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

My Budget LS Engine Swap Guide <$1500

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSRUNNINBITCH
how want to drop a 5.3 out of a 04 tahoe . What is needed besides f body headers, and slicing and dicing of the harness.
what are you dropping it into? the first post has answers to your questions so far, but you'll need a fuel system (depending on swap car), motor mounts (depending on swap car), an accessory drive (depending on where you got your engine & how complete it is/was), transmission from LS vehicle or transmission adapter kit (bolts, flexplate/flywheel spacer, etc), have your ECM flashed to remove unwanted 'components'... if you haven't already, I would read this entire topic
Old 05-10-2010, 07:05 PM

i'm a member of the third gen camero site, and this one is even better. i am just starting a ls swap in my 91 camero. my donor truck was a 2003 1500 4.8. i have already tackled
removing the wiring harness and the engine. would it be worth buying a harness of of this site or just chopping mine. keep in mind that my 4.8,harness,and computer was free.
also am i gonna need to get a car computer or will my donor work?
Old 05-11-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by biggeazy-e
what are you dropping it into? the first post has answers to your questions so far, but you'll need a fuel system (depending on swap car), motor mounts (depending on swap car), an accessory drive (depending on where you got your engine & how complete it is/was), transmission from LS vehicle or transmission adapter kit (bolts, flexplate/flywheel spacer, etc), have your ECM flashed to remove unwanted 'components'... if you haven't already, I would read this entire topic
IT IS A 91 CHEVY CAPRICE WITH 305 TBI. I READ EVERY 5.3 TOPIC ON HERE . I MEAN THE WHOLE THING . I HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE . SO I NEED THE FUEL SYSTEM FROM THE 03 TAHOE OR SOMETHING ELSE.MOTOR MOUNTS CUSTOM OR CAN I USE SOMETHING FROM ANOTHER CAR FOR A CHEAP SWAP. THE DRIVE IS COMPLETE ALT,HARM BALANCER, WATER,ETC. I HAVE A 700-R4 NOT A 4LOE. I HAVE HAVE LAPTOP HOOK-UP PROGRAMS. SO I CAN TUNE MYSELF. THANKS FOR THE HELP . GOT ANY MORE
Old 05-11-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSRUNNINBITCH
IT IS A 91 CHEVY CAPRICE WITH 305 TBI. I READ EVERY 5.3 TOPIC ON HERE . I MEAN THE WHOLE THING . I HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE . SO I NEED THE FUEL SYSTEM FROM THE 03 TAHOE OR SOMETHING ELSE.MOTOR MOUNTS CUSTOM OR CAN I USE SOMETHING FROM ANOTHER CAR FOR A CHEAP SWAP. THE DRIVE IS COMPLETE ALT,HARM BALANCER, WATER,ETC. I HAVE A 700-R4 NOT A 4LOE. I HAVE HAVE LAPTOP HOOK-UP PROGRAMS. SO I CAN TUNE MYSELF. THANKS FOR THE HELP . GOT ANY MORE
If you didn't know, alot of stuff from the later GM B-Body's will bolt into the olders B-Bodys. IIRC yours is a "bubble" Caprice Correct? You'll need the fuel system from a fuel injected Caprice and a Walbro 255lph pump. IF you read my thread on ImpalaSSforum.com Like I mentioned in your other thread, you'll see alot of the stuff you need.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by biggeazy-e
Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Very nice work! I just happened to stumble upon this site the other day and had to register. If I'm understanding your post correclty....I have come across a complete 6.0l vortec including everything from the fan right down to the gas pedal and everything in between(harness, computer intake......everything) and I'm thinking about putting it in my 72 4x4 suburban. How difficult do you think this would be? Thanks in advance, Richard
Old 05-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Teching In

My father are planning on swapping in either an LS1 or a 5.3L into his CJ7 and my Scout 2. I'm liking the idea of the 5.3L more and more, but I have a couple questions.

Our primary reasons for doing this is to increase our fuel economy, drive-ability/cold starts/ease of use, and power, in that order. I see LS1 equipped cars getting 28mpg+ on the highway, so I'd like to think I should be able to get around 18-20mpg in my 4500lbs. Scout and better in his lighter Jeep. Does this sound attainable to you guys?

We're thinking we'd probably swap on the LS1 intake, rails, and injectors as well. With this setup on the 5.3L, what's a ballpark horsepower and torque figure we could expect?

Thanks for this excellent thread!!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Also, any chance you can start a how-to thread on making those old engines look as good as you do?
Old 06-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

This is a great thread, but the biggest problem I have with it is a lack of explanation on how to find these engines for $350. I paid way more then that, of course, mine came with everything, trans and all. I look on car-part, and even the 150K mile plus motors are at $500 or so. Are you guys putting motors with 150K in your project cars? Mine has 32K. I would love to hear what you paid for your motor, how you found it, and how many miles it had, if you are willing to share (anyone that is, not just the OP).

Thanks,

Orlando
Old 06-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

I paid $750 for my 5.3L that was everything that touched the motor except the tranny(4x4 so did'nt want it). Thats all wiring, computer, UHFB, all accesories. Motor had 120K on it. Just started it a couple wks ago, sounds good. Inside looked good too. I can get a 5.3L for $450 thats w/o all the wiring, mileage unkown they just pull them out. Come w/ a 1 year warranty. Same place wants $1200 for complete setup.

I'm also curious to see what everyone else is paying.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

OK, that somewhat answers my question. Thanks for being honest. Personally I would never put a 120K motor in one of my cars. Part of the reason I went to the newer motor is reliability and mileage, I think with 120K you are asking for breakdowns.

Orlando
Old 06-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oteixeira
OK, that somewhat answers my question. Thanks for being honest. Personally I would never put a 120K motor in one of my cars. Part of the reason I went to the newer motor is reliability and mileage, I think with 120K you are asking for breakdowns.

Orlando
As long as it gets your project on the road, doing a rebuild in the future isn't that big of a deal, especially if you're doing an entire frame-off project.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't think twice about swapping in an engine with 120k on it as long as it appears decent. The breakdowns usually come from sensors failing and other issues. I do my swaps with new O2s and MAFS and check all other sensor operation once they are running. These engines don't usually just "fail" with 100k miles on them. As mentioned many, many times they usually still look new inside (cylinder crosshatch, no ridge) due to excellent fuel injection properties. These aren't old small block - carbed engines. My Silverado has 200k on its original engine and trans and runs and drives literally like it is new still.

Also, some of these prices originally written have since changed since I originally made this thread a while back.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

OK,

This is all good to know. The one I bought only has 32K on it right now, and if I ever finish the frame/body work (why do these projects always become a frame off when you dump in a nice shiny motor?) I should get years of enjoyment out of it.

Orlando
Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Are there any good sources for an affordable 5.3 in the new york, new jersey area i keep running into the salvage yard shell game they want a lot for a motor because they pulled it or they offer you deal on a motor that they are not sure of the mileage or if it even runs.. looking for two good motors a 5.3 and a 6.0... Any help would be appreciated...

Last edited by boogiewonderland; 06-17-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Default When the same mis-info gets spread

Ok, so everyone references these diagrams, regarding a 1998 to 1999 swap. And to be specific I mean the conversion diagrams. But has anyone noticed that the conversion diagrams for both the 98 and 99 only show connectors C220 and C230?? Now I will admit, I havent read every single response to see if anyone noticed this, but come on guys!

The main diff between the 98/99 is that in 98 they had 3 connectors going thru the firewall. So if your planning to depict a conversion diagram between a 98 & 99 ... why not show C210?

I mean correct me if I'm wrong
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ls1 wiring NEW.pdf (82.7 KB, 469 views)
Old 07-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the thread and all the info.
I have a 73 Formula Firebird with a 350 and need more power!
the cost of 455 builds have me really thinking hard about an LS swap, I wish there was a shop in the NW that had experience doing them.
If you were closer, I'd be writing you a check right now.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Will the LM7 engines bolt up to muncie transmissions without the need for any sort of adaptor?
Old 08-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Teching In

I was planning on putting an LS1 in my 99 V6, but i have an offer for an LS2 from an '05 GTO & was wondering where i can find a wiring harness to fit? Or will the wiring harness from the LS2 fit for my car? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Great write up! I am planning a LS swap into an 88 mustang notch and then a 66 Pontiac Lemans after that. Lots of great and helpful INFO here!!!

Quick Reply: My Budget LS Engine Swap Guide <$1500