Sponsored by:

New to this site and need some LS1 build up advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New to this site and need some LS1 build up advice

Hey all,
I own a '00 camaro v6 A4 and am contemplating on an LS1 swap. What I need help on is building an LS1 to acheive 400hp and roughly the same if not more torque for a daily driver(prefer more TQ than HP).
I can get an LS1 and tranny for approximately $25-$2700 from TACREATIONUSA.com, I would like to clean it up/inspect, and build the engine, I am not a master mechanic or engine builder and dont claim to know that much about the LS1 engine but thats why I'm here and I would love to give this a shot.
What would be the cheapest(relatively speaking) and most dependable way to build an LS1 to reach my goals. Im not talking 383 stroker, more along the lines of pullies,h/c,headers,intake,tb,ignition, mainly bolt on stuff? What's a good h/c setup? I have read alot about the patriot heads, any input? Any suggestions on beefing up the block, or fixing the oil usage problem, or other things that you think would be useful to do to make a well built engine?
In advance I would like to thank everyone who helps me out. Im sure the question may have been asked and I did search but felt my question was a little different from the ones already posted. Please MASS PARTICIPATION would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Shane

Last edited by snatch; 11-14-2003 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

ok!! Did I say something wrong?
Old 11-15-2003, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

cmon now this is getting rediculous, 60 veiws and noone has anything to say

Last edited by snatch; 11-15-2003 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just be patient!
Old 11-15-2003, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

This is my first post and I just wanted to make sure that its in the right area and that I didnt do something wrong. I searched but Im not having very good luck with this search feature, even if someone could give me a descent thread to read I would appreciate it.
Thanks Shane
Old 11-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Launching!

You should be able to reach your goals with an aftermarket camshaft and some tuning. 400HP is almost possable with a stock setup. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2003, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for your post GMChasLS1. I was also looking for some build advice as well, as far as what I should do to the bottom end to clean it up and make it reliable while I have it out of the car and disassembled.
I would be buying this engine from a recycling yard and would like to make it as close to a "like new" condition. Im sure their are some things out their that Im am unaware of that should be done.
Im not to concerned with the heads I think I'll buy some patriot LS6 stage II heads. I dont know what I should do for a good cam to retain streetability. Ill probably add an electric water pump, underdrive pulley and some longtubes, maybe a descent torque converter and a diablo sport predator and call it quits. I have posi w/ 3.42's so I think I should be good.
Thanks Shane
Old 11-15-2003, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
Thanks for your post GMChasLS1. I was also looking for some build advice as well, as far as what I should do to the bottom end to clean it up and make it reliable while I have it out of the car and disassembled.
I would be buying this engine from a recycling yard and would like to make it as close to a "like new" condition. Im sure their are some things out their that Im am unaware of that should be done.
Im not to concerned with the heads I think I'll buy some patriot LS6 stage II heads. I dont know what I should do for a good cam to retain streetability. Ill probably add an electric water pump, underdrive pulley and some longtubes, maybe a descent torque converter and a diablo sport predator and call it quits. I have posi w/ 3.42's so I think I should be good.
Thanks Shane
The Patriots will do fine for your needs. I would add a Thunder Racing TR224 cam with 114 sla, Comp Cam valve springs 918's, a polished throttle body, double row timing chain, ported oil pump, ASP pulley, headers 1/3/4" four-into-one and an LS6 intake manifold.

This will all be really streetable and should achieve your hp/tq goal.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coolvet
The Patriots will do fine for your needs. I would add a Thunder Racing TR224 cam with 114 sla, Comp Cam valve springs 918's, a polished throttle body, double row timing chain, ported oil pump, ASP pulley, headers 1/3/4" four-into-one and an LS6 intake manifold.

This will all be really streetable and should achieve your hp/tq goal.
I concur.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Default Bottom End

I have a 62 Vette with an LS1. I used MTI h/c and have more than 400 hp/torque. The bottom ends of LS1s are very good. Other than freshening up you really do not need more. There are a lot of people that use forced induction and use the stock bottom end.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

I guess what I would really like to know is how should I go about freshening the bottom end up. Ring kit? Please advise!
Thanks Shane
Old 11-16-2003, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It really depends on how many miles you have on the engine that you get. These LS1 engines seem to wear really well, if it is over 50k I would say go for it, just to be sure. But otherwise, just mod away!
Old 11-16-2003, 08:01 PM
Launching!

well if your looking to do a complete tear down, then pretty much keep everything the way it is, but when you get around to put the thing back together, use arp bolts throughout and all new gm gaskets, because most of the bolts gm uses in the engine stretch when torqued down, so if you take em out, there is no re-using them, but if you use arp bolts throughout, they dont stretch so you can re-use them if you do another rebuild in the future. They also ensure your engine does crap out if you decide to go with a forced induction setup or a shot of the good stuff, makes your bottom end more stout. As far as h/c go, I would definitely stick with MTI, they know what there doin. For the oil consumption alot of people have been talking about, I personally think it has alot to do with how you break in the engine and how its driven the first thousand or so miles. Because if the person who owned the car before it was totalled romped on it all day, then its goin to suck down oil.(assuming its a salvage engine) But if you take care of the car, slowly break it in and dont drive it like a maniac during that first thousand miles, then it should last quite a long time. Hope this helped.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

What are some signs, once I have the heads off, that I need to go deeper into the block? How can you tell what shape the the rings and pistons are in by just visually inspecting them? I am really sorry if I sound stupid or if these questions are borderline retarded, its just that Ive have never done this before. Do you think it would be wise to buy a ring kit and hone the cylinders?Just out of curiosity how much does it cost to have a block honed?
When I was searching for previous rebuild advice it all seems to pertain to LT1's and I came across a thread that had a book on how to build GM LT1 engines, I was just wondering if their was a book like that for the LS1?
Thanks for all the input and sorry for all the questions(I'm still a newbie)!
Shane
Old 11-16-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

my motor only had 15K on it, but it always ticked since I got it. Which ended up being a bent push rod. I tore mine apart this winter to freshen it up, I am just throwing a new set of rings and bearings in it, plus putting ARP fasteners throughout. My cylinders still look really good, so im not bothering to have it honed. I bought a set of the patriot stage 2 5.3 truck heads for it and am getting a cam, Im going with ASA hot cam, and the Yella Terra rockers. I think tearing it down will give you piece of mind about it, but Its prolly not necessary.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lesrace82
my motor only had 15K on it, but it always ticked since I got it. Which ended up being a bent push rod. I tore mine apart this winter to freshen it up, I am just throwing a new set of rings and bearings in it, plus putting ARP fasteners throughout. My cylinders still look really good, so im not bothering to have it honed. I bought a set of the patriot stage 2 5.3 truck heads for it and am getting a cam, Im going with ASA hot cam, and the Yella Terra rockers. I think tearing it down will give you piece of mind about it, but Its prolly not necessary.
Thanks for your input. I read that its not a good idea to install new rings without having the cylinder bore honed because of uneven wear but with only 15k on it could be fine, maybe a more knowledgable engine builder could chime in and lend some advice?
Thats really all Im doing this for is peice of mind and to start out with a like new engine. I would like to break in the engine the way it should have been and their is no real way to tell if that was done unless you do it yourself. I think Ill have it honed with new rings and start with some break in oil to allow the rings to seet properly then switch to synthetic after the break in phase to try and squash some of the oil burning issues that LS1's are know for.
I know unless I do that at a minimum I wont be happy and will always be wondering "WHAT IF".
Thanks for the help people!
Shane
Old 11-17-2003, 07:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

You are way too concerned for me. You are not building a race engine here.

First buy the engine, something with less than 30K miles. Then put it in, mod away, and beat the snot out of it. When and if breaks, tear it down and rebuild it. 70% of the fun is working on it. If you don't like that then don't attempt the swap.

Besides, aren't they giving these cars away by now? $8,000-$10,000 bucks gets you a used CAR with an LS1 running and driving. Recoupe more than half of that from selling your v6 and then go for 400 HP.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

wow thanks for the technical info . I have to build a race engine if I want reliability? Why would I put the engine in the car if I have it out already and can do the mods to it then?
Maybe I am to concerned for you, maybe I just like doing things right the first time! Maybe you should be concerned and you wouldnt have to pull the engine out again. And as far as the fun part being building the engine, thats what this whole thread is about. I was just asking for some advice on how to build a reliable 400HP LS1 for the street, not specifically for the strip!
Shane

Quick Reply: New to this site and need some LS1 build up advice