Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XFI? Stand Alone GMPP or Modded Stock.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default XFI? Stand Alone GMPP or Modded Stock.

For my 67 camaro Hybrid I plan on puchacing an OEM ls2 dropout from a GTO or Caddy. I plan on puting it in stock getting it driving till the next winter, then modding. Plans incude heads and Cam and possiable a turbo setup eventually.

Whith that said does it make sense to go right for the XFI?

Or just this http://www.shopfbparts.com/servlet/Detail?no=159

Or just have the stock harness reworked? Keeping in mind I would wnat to mve the majority of the eletronics inside and the GTO OE harness would need to be lenghtened.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Teching In

44 looks and no responses? .. OK how about if I pretend this is going in a WRX :-)
Old 08-03-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock PCM, and a predone lengthened harness from one of the vendors would be my advice. Doing the work on the harness isn't difficult, per se, but it is very tedious to extend it.

XFI is great, but sub 1000 RWHP, a stock PCM and a good tune is very capable of handling the duties, and is usually easier to get nice drivability out of.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
Stock PCM, and a predone lengthened harness from one of the vendors would be my advice. Doing the work on the harness isn't difficult, per se, but it is very tedious to extend it.

XFI is great, but sub 1000 RWHP, a stock PCM and a good tune is very capable of handling the duties, and is usually easier to get nice drivability out of.

Does it make sense financially? For example. THe GMPP part above with PCM is 850.00. Mod a harness and remove VATS how much is that?

600.00?
just looking at all angles. BTW my goal is 550 WHP
Old 08-03-2009, 05:01 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

By the way... none of the GMPP harness packages will work on a GTO LS2 since the GTO engines are all 24x reluctor.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jones'n
By the way... none of the GMPP harness packages will work on a GTO LS2 since the GTO engines are all 24x reluctor.
That is good info if its true. See the link above comments appreciated.

offers new “plug-and-play” controller kits for LS2, LS3 and LS7 crate engines. The controller kits will be available in early 2008 and carry the following part numbers: LS2 – 19166568 LS3 – 19201861 LS7 – 19166567 Each stand-alone system enables the user to simply plug in the factory-type harness connections into the new controller and start the engine – no recalibration or tuning is required. The controller is based on an O.E. unit and features a custom calibration that oversees the operation of GM’s latest electronic throttle control, EFI and ignition systems for each crate engine family. This item is expected to be available mid Feb. 2008. Additional features include: Fully populated O.E.M.-type fuse/relay center, with additional fuse and relay positions for additional electrical system add-ons A 12-wire bulkhead includes useful outputs for features such as tach signal, vehicle speed signal, oil pressure sensor, malfunction indicator light, etc.; a mating connector is included to allow the outputs to be integrated without cutting into the harness Cooling fan control ECM-controlled fuel pump Compatible with LS-type alternators Complete, O.E.M.-type wiring harness Oxygen and mass airflow sensors Compatible accelerator pedal (for electronic throttle applications) The controller kits work with LSX-based engines that use LS2/LS3/LS7 air/fuel components. Best of all, the new controllers are adaptable to any vehicle fitted with one of the previously mentioned engines – from late model Corvettes, GTOs and F-cars to vintage muscle cars, street rods and off-road vehicles. GM Performance Parts crate engines undergo a 50-hour, full-throttle engine dynamometer validation, requiring the engines perform from peak horsepower to peak torque. GMPP also installs crate engines in its own engineering vehicles for ongoing testing and continuous improvement. This commitment to quality and durability allows General Motors to back GM Performance Parts crate engines with a 24-month / 50,000-mile warranty (whichever occurs first). All GM Performance Parts components carry a 12-month / 12,000-mile
Old 08-04-2009, 05:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those kits use an E67 computer.
The E67 computer will only work on the 58 tooth engines.

Quick Reply: XFI? Stand Alone GMPP or Modded Stock.