Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lower profile exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default lower profile exhaust options

Took my swap for it's maiden voyage under power, i needed to turn the car around in the garage so i started it up drove down the driveway backed up and drove back in, not much of a trip but i'm all about small victories. anyway during the "trip" i bottomed out my exhaust again, not good becuase my front end is actually too far up in the air right now from too much preload on my springs. anyway, right now i have my headers dumping into 3 in pipes that turn under the car and y together, where i bottom out is at the connection from the headers to the y which are connected with v-band clamps, i am thinking about trying to find some SS flanges to make that connection to gain a little clearnce, no matter how i turn the v bands they are by far the lowest point underneath, any other ideas, i could try to find some oval tubing but the transitions are too large to fit and they don't bend the correct way, any other options?
i need to post a pic but i'm at work, there is a bout a foot where the pipes come down underneath the frame, after that the y and the rest of the pipe is tucked underneath the car pretty well.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked into the oval pipe yet? Like they use on nascars for ground clearence?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cooks 7
Took my swap for it's maiden voyage under power, i needed to turn the car around in the garage so i started it up drove down the driveway backed up and drove back in, not much of a trip but i'm all about small victories.
Me too man... I know you've said that the oval pipe doesn't bend the right way, but other than creating channels in the floorpan, that's the only thing that comes to mind... Do you have a "chop saw"? Maybe you could cut the oval tubing at an angle to clear the low area & weld it back together...

BTW, that's a SWEET build!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

...I've thought about buying some SS sheet and trying to fabricate my own bent transitions from round to oval with a 90 degree bend, don't know how that would come out though, it'd be a pretty complex piece to get to look and flow correctly. I need to spend some time under the car and look at my options, i could maybe notch and box my outriggers (frame to body connectors) to gain a little clearance, i guess if i need a tiny amount of oval pipe i could cut up some round pipe down the middle, squish it a bit and weld in some SS strips to make oval of my own, that sounds like fun : ) i'll try and get some photo options together and post again to see what you guys think
Old 08-25-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

im pretty sure either Dr Gas or Burns Stainless offers round to oval reducers and oval 90 degree bends
pricy stuff but cant take it with you
Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Never heard of Dr Gas before, checked them out, they have some better transitions than Burns but looks like it's only mild and the bends don't bend the correct way still, I need a bend that goes 90 degrees perpendicular to the long side of the oval, not the short side like all of Burns bends, I don't get how people dont have that, seems like there is a need to go up and over things not just around them in a horizontal plane.
thanks for the link though, i'll keep it for future reference.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

See Spintech. I used one of their round to oval elbows on my drag car.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just went through your website and build. Looks awesome! You know deathbyspoon? He is doing a 50 triumph wagon. You both make my datsun 610 look like a whale!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the Spintech link, thought they only made mufflers, they have a picture of exactly what I need, they call the picture "transition elbow the hard way." if they have it in stainless I may be in business, then i'll just have to rework my y pipe and transition back to round before my first muffler (i am running 2 since with no cats one was too loud.
Thanks again, i'll keep you posted on progress
Old 08-27-2009, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

I need the 90 in this picture, i might try and make it, i have the 90 degree rounds already in the system, might be a fun little project, i need to work on my SS welding anyway
Attached Thumbnails lower profile exhaust options-hardtransition.jpg  

Quick Reply: lower profile exhaust options