Sponsored by:

VVT LY6 into my 1994 Firebird Formula

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010 | 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Default tb

Originally Posted by pillagenburn
update: Just put a ported 87mm throttle body on... it feels like a different car... it's incredible... Whether there is a substantial power gain or not, it's 100% worth getting. I think there was a bit of a power gain at the low end, but I only drove it for a few miles so I'm not entirely sure...
Thats good to hear. I scored ( to me) a 08 Vette LS3 90mm TB instead of running the stock LY6 pc. Mainly for looks. LOL.
Old 03-16-2010 | 01:47 PM
Teching In

Default Gen III 5.3 to Gen IV (LY6) in 2004 Avalanche

I just purchased a new LY6 to put in my 2004 avalanche that currently has a 5.3. What will I need to do to make evrything function correctly. I want to source all my parts in advance.
Old 03-16-2010 | 02:31 PM
Teching In

For an avalanche, there might not be all that much to buy. The engine and transmission bolts in, and the intake, pan, and waterpump should have enough clearance. I think I would stick with the transmission that came with the ly6 though.

Aside from that, the other issue will come if your 2004 is still using class2 serial data. The ly6 is GMlan.

If you're on GMlan, things will be easy. If you're on class2, things will be tougher. A class 2 cluster, body control module, and transmission control module will have problems with the e38.
Old 03-16-2010 | 06:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mr220v
For an avalanche, there might not be all that much to buy. The engine and transmission bolts in, and the intake, pan, and waterpump should have enough clearance. I think I would stick with the transmission that came with the ly6 though.

Aside from that, the other issue will come if your 2004 is still using class2 serial data. The ly6 is GMlan.

If you're on GMlan, things will be easy. If you're on class2, things will be tougher. A class 2 cluster, body control module, and transmission control module will have problems with the e38.
Whats a GMlan and a class 2 and how do i know what I have
Old 03-16-2010 | 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Default whats that?

Originally Posted by spacediver
Whats a GMlan and a class 2 and how do i know what I have
LOL. I was thinking the exact same thing. Looks " greek" to me.
Old 03-18-2010 | 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Class 2 is an older network protocol (how each computer in the truck/car communicate with each other). GMLAN is the newer protocol used in newer vehicles. A class 2 data bus is, as far as i know, not compatible with GMLAN; however, it may be possible in the case of an Escalade to swap a newer GMLAN-compatible gauge cluster in and use that. F-bodies, however, do not have such luck Unless there's some way to get a new C6 cluster in there...

edit: it might be possible in an Escalade or Avalanche... or really any other GM Truck by just using a newer GMLAN intrument cluster out of a newer vehicle.

Last edited by pillagenburn; 03-22-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-18-2010 | 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

update: some good news and some bad news, so here goes.

Bad news: My clutch slave cylinder took a dump after only 1,000 miles It won't hold fluid and dumps fluid everywhere, so needless to say, it's done.

Good news: I sent my ECU off to Geoff @ Engine Power Systems and he's in the process of tuning it as well as correcting my speedometer output Saves me having to buy EFI Live! And hopefully nets me a bunch of power in the process.
Old 03-19-2010 | 01:04 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Saves me having to buy EFI Live!
Can you elaborate on this a little? Why would you "have to" buy efi-live to tune it? Does HP not work for tuning VVT or are you just looking for someone else to tune it and Geoff happens to use efi-live?
Old 03-21-2010 | 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

HP Tuners cannot (as of yet) edit the vehicle speed sensor output tables on my E38 ECU... however EFI Live can. HP Tuners can adjust cam phasing in their latest beta software release, but I'm weary of using BETA software to edit the behavior of my cam phaser. HP Tuners is just a bit behind the curve here, or so it seems, but it's a much less expensive product than EFI Live and therefore likely won't be on the bleeding edge of technology. I'd hope that their ECU support will be better in their upcoming 2.23 release, but I simply don't have time to wait for that.
Old 03-21-2010 | 02:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Very helpful thanks. I was all set to drop the hammer on efi-live and go until i found threads around that efi-live doesn't diasble VATS on e38 ECM's but HPtuners works fine for this. When i ran across this info I shifted thinking that HPtuners was the way to go... Then you post this and now it looks as if Im screwed either way.

From the threads I've read efi-live does have a patch for disabling VATS on the e38 it just doesnt work and you cant get it started.

Major bummer really I dont want to have to buy two tuning suites just to tune the thing.
Old 03-21-2010 | 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

at very worst you can send the ecu off to get VATS disabled, $100 or so, but at least then you can calibrate your vss output with efi live.

I'm hoping that the v2.23 release will be more palatable to folks like me... we'll see.

Not to really degrade HP Tuners, it's a good program for sure, but for what I need it just hasn't produced.
Old 03-21-2010 | 03:52 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

In my case I have an Autometer Pro Comp Ultra Lite digital speedo that is self calibrating so I dont need to adjust the VSS signal at all for this purpose. I only need VSS for the ECM and whatever functions it feeds info for... Speaking of this I wonder if I can dial in the tune without a VSS signal to the ECM?
Old 03-21-2010 | 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Same question here. I have a LY6 I am installing in a '76 GMC truck with a th350 for the time being. I just got done with modifying the wiring harness and now I am worried that I have to have some kind on VSS signal for the motor to run properly. No way to kill the transmission in HPTuner that I can figure out. I am thinking of just running a speed sensor like one of these.
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Spe...eedometer.html
I have one laying around and think I will give it a try.
Other thing I was wondering pillagenburn, if you hooked up the brake input or the Park\Neutral input. If so, are they just grounded as an imput?
Old 03-22-2010 | 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by buddyholly
Same question here. I have a LY6 I am installing in a '76 GMC truck with a th350 for the time being. I just got done with modifying the wiring harness and now I am worried that I have to have some kind on VSS signal for the motor to run properly. No way to kill the transmission in HPTuner that I can figure out. I am thinking of just running a speed sensor like one of these.
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Spe...eedometer.html
I have one laying around and think I will give it a try.
Other thing I was wondering pillagenburn, if you hooked up the brake input or the Park\Neutral input. If so, are they just grounded as an imput?
I don't have an automatic - I have a stick. I'm not sure how the park/neutral hookup would work.... I'd like to get some input as to how to hook up a 6L90 to a f-body.

I know nothing about automagics
Old 03-22-2010 | 02:26 PM
Teching In

The automatic transmissions control modules us GMlan to communicate with the ecu. If your original tranmission's control module doesn't work with this protocol, it won't work with the E38.

Safest thing to do is to use the transmission that came with your ly6.

We got the slave cylinder replaced this weekend. This car has broken down twice. Once for the starter, and now for the clutch slave cylinder. Somehow it manages to break in my driveway, and nowhere else. The car was assembled at my house. I guess it misses it's home.
Old 03-22-2010 | 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

That's what I get for buying a used starter and an ebay slave cylinder.... lesson learned.

Though the starter was only $75 anyway... mr220v pointed out to me... the slave cylindeers on these transmissions are parts where you want to buy the most expensive part possible... because replacing it is a nasty job... though not as bad as an optispark or half the crap on a LT1
Old 03-22-2010 | 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Double post...
Old 03-22-2010 | 11:06 PM
Teching In

when did the escalade go to the e-38 ecu if I the cluster will fit the avalanche that would be great. the trans is another issue i just have the crate engine.
Old 03-23-2010 | 11:14 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mr220v
The automatic transmissions control modules us GMlan to communicate with the ecu. If your original tranmission's control module doesn't work with this protocol, it won't work with the E38.

Safest thing to do is to use the transmission that came with your ly6.

We got the slave cylinder replaced this weekend. This car has broken down twice. Once for the starter, and now for the clutch slave cylinder. Somehow it manages to break in my driveway, and nowhere else. The car was assembled at my house. I guess it misses it's home.
Thats a lucky car! I had a truck like that once. Kept it for ten years and took it to over 350k miles because of its reliability and the very fact that it only broke down at home LOL.

Anyways I wanted to mentioning yet again here about the clutch hydraulics... I cant say enough about the importance of keeping your clutch fluid clean. I learned this lesson the hard way myself even with brand new hydraulics it only took a season and a half for me facing the same problem as you. Being that its such a major pita to change the slave its very important it is to follow the Ranger protocol and you'll be worry free clutch hydraulics for a looooong time. Check it out

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html
Old 03-23-2010 | 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

hey cam, I replied to your post with pics:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...mm-ls3-tb.html

Quick Reply: VVT LY6 into my 1994 Firebird Formula