Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adding to the collection, Typhoon 5.3/4L80E turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very jealous, what oil pan did yall use?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by v8sten
very jealous, what oil pan did yall use?
The oil pan is from turbotime. The thing has caused more annoyances though, so i wouldn't really recommend it.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Eviltwin and I were able to get a bunch of stuff taken care of this weekend. We removed the tranny crossmember and rubber mount, sold the crossmember, made our own, and modified a poly mount for use on our application. The crossmember is a very straightforward design, so it didnt take too much fuss to make our own.
We were having clearance issues with the fat dash 10 fittings that come out of the oil pan and the diff, so we are in the process of rotating the diff a bit as well as beveling the back edge of the flange that comes off of the diff. This should give us just enough clearance. (annoying annoying oil pan).
Our fans came in so we mounted them up to the radiator and tranny cooler, made a brake line that we were missing, mounted the oil filter, mounted the fuel pressure regulator to the frame rail, ran battery cables, and even got the driver side inner-fender trimmed and installed. Took a few pics of the progress. Enjoy!

The transmission crossmember welded up:

Painted and ready to be installed:

Here it is installed with the modified poly mount. You can also see where we mounted the fuel pressure regulator on the frame rail:

The C6Z06 brakes are just too damn sexy not to post a pic. You can see our aluminum intake tube and BOV installed, and not to mention Eviltwin's Syclone in the background, being neglected while we work on the typhoon. This was just before the inner-fender went in. Forgot to get a pic after it was in, but oh well:

We only had to trim a little piece off the inner-fender to get it to fit perfectly. The other side isnt going to be nearly as easy...
Old 06-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Teching In

with your t-case, will you be using push button 4wd? have there been a lot of guys using this set up in sy/ty's?

BTW love your truck and eviltwins, just got done reading both of your threads and sy/ty's literally got me hooked on HP, I have a softspot for these trucks they are ( . Y . )
Old 07-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whoudi
with your t-case, will you be using push button 4wd? have there been a lot of guys using this set up in sy/ty's?

BTW love your truck and eviltwins, just got done reading both of your threads and sy/ty's literally got me hooked on HP, I have a softspot for these trucks they are ( . Y . )
We are probably going to just set the tcase in 4wd and keep it that way. If we feel like it once she is running, we can always set up a shifter or something.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Teching In

So the work schedule finally freed up a bit, and we got a bunch of stuff taken care of over the weekend. We were pretty much ready to turn the key on sunday morning, but ran into a big electrical problem. Spent most of yesterday trying to isolate the issue. What a pain... Gonna try and figure it out again this afternoon, so we can finally start it.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Nice build... The truck looks sweet!!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

looking forward to seeing what this combo can do!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Wow very nice
Old 07-30-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

GASP!! That is my dream vehicle! I'm so jealous...
Old 08-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Teching In

We had a big weekend! Turns out we were having compression issues. Did some rocker adjustment, and it fired right up! We have to sort out a transmission issue before it gets out on the road, but it felt good to finally hear it run after 8 months of work! Here is a vid of start up and idle. Hope you enjoy the sound of this thing as much as we do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWDaQ8jXaQ
Old 08-30-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

You just convinced me to go with a LSx in my Syclone...Perhaps with a TVS2300.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I love awd builds... plus its cool to see all you syty guys come out of the woodwork.

Seems like that thing would use those solid mounts to rip that metal right out from under it, did you have to do any extra reinforcement there?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for all the complements. this project has been driving us crazy. everytime we finish something, something else pops up. lucky for us this all happened before we drove it. everything is done except for a passenger inner fender, finishing some wiring, and some interior things..... well at least we thought it was. We went to drive it on Saturday and it wouldnt move. check the line pressure in the tranny and nothing. 0 psi... Pulled the tranny out that night. Talked to the tranny shop that built it today, i will be taking it there on Thursday. This tranny has 0 miles on it since rebuild. I guess we will see what they say once they tear into it.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

aww

well at least that bad news came with pics. haha
Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cobra198
We had a big weekend! Turns out we were having compression issues. Did some rocker adjustment, and it fired right up! We have to sort out a transmission issue before it gets out on the road, but it felt good to finally hear it run after 8 months of work! Here is a vid of start up and idle. Hope you enjoy the sound of this thing as much as we do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWDaQ8jXaQ
Music to my ears, I sure wish I could I had the skills to perform the same transformation on my Syclone. I am so tired of that finicky V6 that is in there.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

dropped the tranny off at the shop today. The pump was damaged from the tc. Hate when you buy something that ends up being bad. Everything is going to be looked over too. Should be back in the truck by next weekend.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Awesome build!! Was the pump damaged when you guys mated it to the engine? Happens alot. Can't wait to see what kinda damamge you do with that beautiful truck at the track!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Awesome build!! Was the pump damaged when you guys mated it to the engine? Happens alot. Can't wait to see what kinda damamge you do with that beautiful truck at the track!
we bought the truck with the engine and tranny already in it. So best guess would be that the previous owner did it. thanks for the compliments
Old 09-10-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Eviltwin, I don't mean to hijack, but do you know of anybody makes headers for a ls1 swap into a 4wd s10? I can only find sbc headers for it. I wanna drop the 383 ls1 I have laying around in my syclone, and go with a supercharger, mostly for low end torque and simplicity, and perhaps go with a t56. I've heard people not liking the manual trannys in them, but that should be different with a supercharger. Any advice you can offer on a oilpan, motormounts, and headers would be much appreciated.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again,I LOVE the syclone and typhoon. You do great work.

Quick Reply: adding to the collection, Typhoon 5.3/4L80E turbo build