Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS power into 1980 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
Thanks for the link for Car shop mounts.
Whoops! I thought I had posted that link on my post. Thanks nunan,
Old 11-13-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did post that link. Well got the car home, and It looks great without the rust! My wife asked why i did'nt get it painted. I said i need to install everything before paint dont want to scratch it. Good luck!!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
You did post that link. Well got the car home, and It looks great without the rust! My wife asked why i did'nt get it painted. I said i need to install everything before paint dont want to scratch it. Good luck!!
Awesome! Should have told your wife to give you money for the paint job, maybe she would have done it.

My kore3 set up is in, and I got to say this is some pretty good stuff. Took awhile to get them in, damn holiday. Either way, they are here and I need to get to Home Depot or Lowes and get a drill bit, a tap, and tap oil along with a cut off wheel for the grinder. Next couple days should be fun.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Small update, finally found the damn bit and tap that I needed to modify the spindles for the c5 brake kit. Home Depot didn't have any and neither did the damn auto parts stores, so got them at the Fastenal in the same shopping center where I work at.

Anyways, today I had enough daylight after work to drill and tap the holes on the spindles successfully. I almost fugged up on the last hole that I needed to tap. It started good, at least it seemed, but then it started getting harder to tap, took a look at it and it was going in sideways. Took it back out turned the spindle around and made sure it was going in straight, luckily the first threads did not mess with the new ones I made, screw went right in. Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday I get time to cut the ears off the spindles and start assembling the brakes, after that I can get the qa1's and brakes on, along with the steering components.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good deal man. lookin forward to hearin how they fit, as i may do them later on down the road. I finally got all my parts i need to get this bitch started, and hope to have it fire up by early to mid next week
Old 11-20-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well ran the wire's, got the PCM inside (barely). Been working on everyone else car (Got the wife a 87 Mustang), and got a BMW that need alot of work. Going to try, and get on mine next week! Send me some info, on brake upgrades!
Old 11-21-2010, 03:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well ran the wire's, got the PCM inside (barely). Been working on everyone else car (Got the wife a 87 Mustang), and got a BMW that need alot of work. Going to try, and get on mine next week! Send me some info, on brake upgrades!
Sure, I'll take some pictures of the spindle that I cut today(well yesterday lol) and compare to the stock one. Came out pretty good considering all I used was a grinder with cutting wheel and grinding wheel and a sawzall to cutoff the ears that held the old brake calipers.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I finally got some pictures of the spindles being cut and finished up. Tomorrow I might get off early, I'm going to try and get everything on and make sure that it fits correctly. After that, its on to the qa1 coil over cheapies I got, I hope I can get them on myself, if not, I'm going to have a shop do it for me.
Attached Thumbnails LS power into 1980 Firebird-img_3493.jpg   LS power into 1980 Firebird-img_3496.jpg   LS power into 1980 Firebird-img_3501.jpg   LS power into 1980 Firebird-img_3506.jpg  
Old 11-26-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks scary to me. I got the car fired today to make sure I had the wiring right, run great, cant tell I got a cam in it. Will try to start getting it road ready.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks scary to me. I got the car fired today to make sure I had the wiring right, run great, cant tell I got a cam in it. Will try to start getting it road ready.
Scary? How?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just looking at the metal being cut, you know what your doing, I just would be scared to cut a lot on the parts that hold the weight of the car. Let me know how great it works!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just looking at the metal being cut, you know what your doing, I just would be scared to cut a lot on the parts that hold the weight of the car. Let me know how great it works!
Well it will be a while before I actually put them to use. Cutting the spindle has to be done to fit the new calipers, but it has been done numerous times and I haven't heard anything going wrong. Didn't have much time for the car todayas I would have liked, but I went and grabbed some red caliper paint from O'reiley's and had them turn the rotors, cleaned up the calipers and painted them. Need to go back and get some upper ball joints as well, will go back at it tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, Time to start working on the gauges, but don't know where to start first.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

nah, modding the spindle is easy. its super easy if you have a mill, lol but obviously most of us dont.

i'm getting my brake/suspension set up back together too. and i'll have the t/a running this week to check my self modified harness. lookin good zamora
Old 11-27-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nunan0219
nah, modding the spindle is easy. its super easy if you have a mill, lol but obviously most of us dont.

i'm getting my brake/suspension set up back together too. and i'll have the t/a running this week to check my self modified harness. lookin good zamora
Thanks, I actually already have the hubs assembled with the bearings and grease and all, just need a torque wrench for the spindle nut and the bracket bolts and its good to go. All this I should be able to get done on the car. I'm heading out to O'reilly's for the upper ball joints in a minute.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah had to do as much of my on work as possible, harness, hydro boost brakes, and so on! put up pic's.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

what are you doin for control arms? i dont remember what u had said, stockers or going tubular?

u get it running yet?
Old 11-28-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nunan0219
what are you doin for control arms? i dont remember what u had said, stockers or going tubular?

u get it running yet?
Staying with the stockers for now, not enough money coming in lol. Eventually I will get the spc adjustable control arms with the tall ball joints, and their lower a arms as well.

Not running yet, I want to get the car really cleaned up underneath or over wher the motor/tranny will be set. That way I wont have to remove them when I want to clean up the rest. Witing on gray por-15 for the firewall.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Worked overtime today on the car, I'm off all week so should be able to make a little more progress. Well, after I went and took care of the registration for the WS6, I started working on theupper ball joints and then the QA1's, those things were a pain in the a$$, mostly the one ring that slips onto the shock, the rest was easy. After that got the spindles with the kore3 hubs bolted on. Took some pica of it as well.
Attached Thumbnails LS power into 1980 Firebird-img_3507.jpg   LS power into 1980 Firebird-img_3508.jpg   LS power into 1980 Firebird-img_3509.jpg   LS power into 1980 Firebird-img_3510.jpg   LS power into 1980 Firebird-img_3511.jpg  

Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

where'd you get the caliper brackets or is it a kit?

Quick Reply: LS power into 1980 Firebird