Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on drivetrain angle measurements????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on drivetrain angle measurements????

How do you measure drivetrain angle?

I'm trying to match my crankshaft centerline to the original motor I removed and plan to put the output shaft of the trans at the same position as the original.

I read about drive train angle, and could probably measure what mine is, but relative to what?

I read one post where a guy was using a laser off the bellhousing, I'm not set up for that.

thoughts?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I've seen people put a "angle finder" on the tail shaft of the trans. (driveshaft removed) I am not sure if thats what you are after. From what I remember seeing. Shoot for 3-5*
Old 02-21-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Use an old yoke in the rear of the trans or build the laser tool

Glance over this and see if it helps any
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/trannys/driveshaftangles.jpg
Old 02-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike, hopefully these links will help.

http://www.iedls.com/ptsetup.html

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16320

Mike
Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the links.
I've seen some of them before and understand the basic principles. I guess I should have better explained.

The car the drivetrain is going into had a two peice drive shaft, and IRS, so there is no pumpkin motion to deal with.

I can see how much of an angle my tailshaft is at, but how do I figure out where it should be pointing when my target is a driveshaft hanging off the center bearing?

My recipient is a Volvo wagon, my donor is a 04 GTO, the trans is a T56. I have the DS out of the GTO, but am only planning to use the end at the trans, I want to keep the Volvo DS and center bearing.

I guess I'm going to do the laser glued to the tailshaft flange process I read about in one of the threads here or somewhere.

Ultimately I have the engine as low as it will go in the car. I changed to the H3 pan, and am targetting 3/8 clearance for the K member. Motor mounts are at final machine now before they go to weld. Once that's done, I'll know better what I'm looking at.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What about this article from Rod and Custom?
http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/...ech/index.html
Old 02-22-2010, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

here's another link, which was mentioned somewhere, but I found when looking for inlinometers...

Haven't digested it yet, but looks good on first glance.

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...aft_Angles.htm
Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did mine I used an angle finder on the tailshaft of the tranny (as mentioned above), and I correlated that angle with just about any other surface that I cold find on the engine that seemed like it should be on plane with the crankshaft.

Remember that if worse comes to worse you can make some adjustment at the differential to achieve the correct angles at the u-joints.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pushrod36

Remember that if worse comes to worse you can make some adjustment at the differential to achieve the correct angles at the u-joints.
Two piece drive shaft, with independent rear suspension, so the whole thing gets more complicated, or at least different.

Can't move the pumpkin.
Can move the center bearing a little, but not finding the "rules" for how to set that up.
And,,,, since the drive shaft(s) are so short, the angles go big in a hurry.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never done a two piece shaft so can't really help you there. I thought one of the earlier links in this thread had rules for that.

What I do want to add is sometimes you can shim or drill out washers on pumpkin mounts to move one end or the other. Like you said with the short shafts it doesn't take much verticle movement to change the angle a good bit.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you still have the original motor/trans, perhaps you can re-install it and make some reference measurements to establish the angle and also the position of the tailshaft (in reference to something like the floor as a plane and/or chassis points). If you can replicate the positions/references/axis' with the new motor/trans, then it would be a matter of splicing into the xexisting driveshaft. I don't claim to have any experience with your particular situation, but there are some fundamantals that may lead towards a solution. Good luck.

Andy1
Old 02-23-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mikezohsix
Two piece drive shaft, with independent rear suspension, so the whole thing gets more complicated, or at least different.

Can't move the pumpkin.
Can move the center bearing a little, but not finding the "rules" for how to set that up.
And,,,, since the drive shaft(s) are so short, the angles go big in a hurry.
IRS doesn't make it more complex, the rules are the same - only the pumpkin doesn't move. Actually from a drive line standpoint, IRS is the optimum setup. The pinion angle never moves so you can set it and forget it instead of compromising for the suspension travel of a live axle.

Page 2 paragraph three of the article I listed says what you need to know if I understood your initial question correctly.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: question on drivetrain angle measurements????