Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 low mount alternator brackeT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.0 low mount alternator brackeT?

I have been fighting my belt system for a while. I cant fit the truck alternator under my hood. I tried using a corvette alt bracket but, I cant get it to line up perfectly and my belt keeps walking off.

Does anyone sell a true low mount alternator bracket for the truck guys? Has to line up with truck crank pulley. Thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Old 05-26-2010, 05:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

kwik performance does.

You could probably put some spacers behind an F body alternator bracket to get it to line up with the truck belt spacing.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You could probably put some spacers behind an F body alternator bracket to get it to line up with the truck belt spacing.
Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!!
Old 09-16-2010, 02:13 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is my setup, i dont have power steering but it is a bad *** setup a fellow member and i did, others are interested in them, but the machine shop charges us so we have to make like 10 sets at a time:

Note, i am using the stock alternator on my 89 RS

Here is for the power steering folks:

Not exactly low mount but saves plenty of room for turbo setups.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Interested in this set what would the cost be if we could get 10 people. If we can't do you have any drawings so maybe I could get some made.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know LS1 accessories are kind of hard to come by but with a little patience I pieced mine together (except a/c) for about $190 plus the cost of a new crank pulley bolt. Couldn't stand the giant truck brackets.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Teching In

not sure if its true, but i would like to know because i am using the lq9 in my 67 bird project. but i was told that the stock ls1 stuff works fine under 1st gen f body.... i bought the stuff off ebay so i hope it does.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by Big Matt
Interested in this set what would the cost be if we could get 10 people. If we can't do you have any drawings so maybe I could get some made.
Between the cost of material, cost of the machine shops time and machines, grade a hardware like what is used on mine and shipping with insurance, we think that about 198$ was what we cam up with, and that was with us not making no money, i know they stock stuff can work fine, but for a guy like me that doesnt need PS, or even that does, it looks nicer and fits SOOO much better.

Last edited by ZONES89RS; 09-16-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!!
I had to go the other way, I had an F body bracket machined down to align with a Corvette pulley. Worked fine except I had to move it to clear the steering rack on my Datsun.

I see no reason why adding spacers wouldn't work with the truck pulley.

It's not hard to make an alternator only bracket out of mild steel and a welder. running only an alternator and WP seems to reduce the belt wrap requirements considerably too. I have had zero issues with the following set up.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I had to go the other way, I had an F body bracket machined down to align with a Corvette pulley. Worked fine except I had to move it to clear the steering rack on my Datsun.

I see no reason why adding spacers wouldn't work with the truck pulley.

It's not hard to make an alternator only bracket out of mild steel and a welder. running only an alternator and WP seems to reduce the belt wrap requirements considerably too. I have had zero issues with the following set up.

+1, That's how I'm running my F-Body Accessory Drive with the Truck crfank pulley. 3/4" spacers on the power steering and alternator brackets. Belt hasn't walked off yet.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought the Camaro bracket, planning on spacing it 3/4" forward to align with the truck crank pulley.

Did you just use washers to space the bracket from the block?

I confirmed yesterday that I will need to find an angle drill in order to drill and tap the upper right boss for the alternator bracket. Not looking forward to it...
Old 09-17-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used 3/4" chrome plated spacers that I got off ebay, I'll see if I can find the ones I got. You have to use the rear bracket for the alternator to keep the mount from flexing if you don't have the 3rd bolt hole, as with mine. I just drove it ~1200 miles round trip to and from GA with a few WOT blasts on some on ramps, and it holds fine. Been that way for a year +
Old 09-17-2010, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Here is my setup, i dont have power steering but it is a bad *** setup a fellow member and i did, others are interested in them, but the machine shop charges us so we have to make like 10 sets at a time:

Note, i am using the stock alternator on my 89 RS

Not exactly low mount but saves plenty of room for turbo setups.
I like this setup for the alternator only guys, like me. The only modification I would like to see is a third mounting point for the idler pulley.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:38 PM
In-Zane Moderator

It doesnt need it, trust me, you would have to hit it with a sledge to make it break and a third mounting point would still break.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

I didn't think it would break, but I'm sure it will flex in that configuration with a good sized moment arm on the pulley attachment points. If they were parallel with the reaction of the belt it wouldn't be a big deal. The third mounting point will alleviate that. It looks like it may rest on the water pump though, but I don't think that is optimal. I just think a third mounting point would make that a perfect setup.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 72VenturaII
I like this setup for the alternator only guys, like me. The only modification I would like to see is a third mounting point for the idler pulley.
it is sufficent strong, i assure you. with the correct hardware and the time i took to develop it. i took into consideration the abuse it might see from a hi rpm, powerful motor. so far it has not had any belt issues or flex even with rpm and typical street duty. no belt slingin issues. it will take alot to try to dislodge the mounting of it or to flex it under rpm. even a 250lb man will not be able to bend on it.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:42 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Although you could use washers, I would try to find spacer material. Most good autoparts stores will have cut to fit alternator spacer material in stock, sometimes you can even find it at the chains. Also if your willing to order it mc master carr has whatever you need. Heres a quick link to some aluminum tube http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum/=8w7xjf but they also have many othr sizes and you could also get it in stainless, or even regular steel.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

would it be possible to make a mount for a drivers side solid mount alt and then be able to use the stock tensioner pulley on the pass side?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Teching In

I like this setup! Where can i get it?

Quick Reply: 6.0 low mount alternator brackeT?