Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

The watepump Clint has and the one I have (LS3 from Camaro) are identical in layout except his is for a truck motor where the belt/drive is spaced forward from the block an extra 1.5" compared to the car pump. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the truck and car pumps is that the truck pump has the passage from the pump body to the block mating surface 1.5" longer.. the main pump body, pulley, inlet/outlet, bosses, etc, are all identical between pumps.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
That is a very generous offer. I may have to take you up on it. What are you making videos of?
the video is in order for you to see if it is the right one, i cant tell which came off my 6.0 or which my 5.3... does it matter (whether they came off the 5.3 or 6.0)?, are the coils the same as long as its the round type? soon as i get up in a few hours, ill take the vid so you can see what im saying... some coils are the squareish kind and i have a couple round kind that look like what you need...
Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by frojoe
The watepump Clint has and the one I have (LS3 from Camaro) are identical in layout except his is for a truck motor where the belt/drive is spaced forward from the block an extra 1.5" compared to the car pump. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the truck and car pumps is that the truck pump has the passage from the pump body to the block mating surface 1.5" longer.. the main pump body, pulley, inlet/outlet, bosses, etc, are all identical between pumps.
To add some clarification, the L99 (5th gen Camaro 6.2L w/ automatic) uses the same accessory spacing as a truck LSx. I am using the truck LY6 balancer/crank pulley with the L99 accessories without any spacers. I believe any of the VVT equipped car engines would have the same spacing as the truck engine because they need room for the phaser magnet in the front cover.

Originally Posted by LSCustoms
the video is in order for you to see if it is the right one, i cant tell which came off my 6.0 or which my 5.3... does it matter (whether they came off the 5.3 or 6.0)?, are the coils the same as long as its the round type? soon as i get up in a few hours, ill take the vid so you can see what im saying... some coils are the squareish kind and i have a couple round kind that look like what you need...
I am pretty sure the same coils are used across a number of LSx engine variants including 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, and 6.2L from both cars and trucks. They have a 72mm hole center-to-center spacing which is probably enough to tell them apart (I think other styles of coils have different mounting). Do they have any kind of part number on them? That would probably be the best bet for determining interchangeability. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it and I will definitely pay it forward!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Good clarification.. makes sense for it to be the VVT version that needs the extra spacing forward for clearance for stuff.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Launching!

[youtube]r6zgtox3ama[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ZGT...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Launching!

i dont know how to embed the video
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LScustoms= if you copy the "share" link you can simply paste it in your message. And the video will be present and not a shortcut. Hope that helps.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tsnow678
LScustoms= if you copy the "share" link you can simply paste it in your message. And the video will be present and not a shortcut. Hope that helps.
this is what it gives me

http://youtu.be/R6ZGTOX3AMA
Old 11-30-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure whats going on there LScustoms. Sorry
Old 12-01-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

LSCustoms - Thanks for the video. I will have to double check what I have and I'll shoot you a PM when I figure it out.

A helpful member on another forum told me he had placed his coils under the headers like this with terrible results. He said he went through 3 burnt up coils in 6,000 miles before he moved them behind the heads. He said they have been doing okay back there. I don't really have room behind my heads due to the setback of the engine, but I have some other options I'm exploring instead of what I posted above.

First, here is the mockup with the coils in front / to the side of the heads. The plate is just a piece I had laying around that I drilled for this purpose, so ignore how unneccesarily large it is for now. There seems to be space on the driver's side where I could do something similar, but more to the side rather than in front of the heads. I don't really like this.

Second, here is what they look like loosely situated against the firewall. They just barely fit end to end between the evaporator case and the wiper motor. In this case I just stacked them on a piece of 1/4" allthread and laid them there to eyeball it - I haven't made any mounts.

I think that doesn't look terrible. What do you think? It has the added benefit of hiding the dent in the firewall some naive 17-year-old put there to clear an HEI distributor, even though his real problem was not putting the proper spacers in under the firewall body bushings. I wish I knew who that guy was - I'd give him a talking to.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the firewall mount alright.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
LSCustoms - Thanks for the video. I will have to double check what I have and I'll shoot you a PM when I figure it out.

I think that doesn't look terrible. What do you think? It has the added benefit of hiding the dent in the firewall some naive 17-year-old put there to clear an HEI distributor, even though his real problem was not putting the proper spacers in under the firewall body bushings. I wish I knew who that guy was - I'd give him a talking to.
no problem, let me know... i said the part number on them in the vid too... as far as the coils on the firewall, I dont think it looks bad, however, when you add the plug harness and plug wires, it may look a little more cluttered... is there any room to mount to the back of the heads (4 on each side), or under the dash/behind the firewall and only the plug wires coming thru a grommet into the engine compartment?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally like Joe's coil relocation setup.

Man, I'm seriously considering switching to the L99 water pump. I'd love to get rid of the giant upper hose I have running directly on top of my inlet. But I guess that's what we had to live with back in the day.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Why is it you are moving the coils to a different location? Speedtigger bought the Edelbrock covers which look pretty good. Chevy406 mounted them on the hood hinges which also looks good. Not really liking the firewall mount as much as I did the under-the-header mounting. Leave them on the valve covers and roll with forward progress. First fire by Christmas?!!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

You could always use:
Attached Thumbnails '70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT-kgrhqz-i-fcs07eybybqr69hsrsq-60_12.jpg   '70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT-kgrhqzhjekfc-hb8jknbqufepnkuq-60_57.jpg  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

The covers range from $99-$179. Here is a set of the later on an engine:
Attached Thumbnails '70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT-t2ec16nhjhie9nyseg53bqqovvuzmw-60_57.jpg  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Why is it you are moving the coils to a different location? Speedtigger bought the Edelbrock covers which look pretty good. Chevy406 mounted them on the hood hinges which also looks good. Not really liking the firewall mount as much as I did the under-the-header mounting. Leave them on the valve covers and roll with forward progress. First fire by Christmas?!!
X2. I agree. Less plug wire problems to deal with also.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Keep the opinions coming. I am torn. I don't like how they look on the valve covers as much as I realize long plug wires suck. I don't like any of the coil cover offerrings and I can't think of how I'd build a better set. I've looked at the Proform and Katch valve covers which mount the coils higher, but still have plug wires going over the valve covers. I've looked at the Edelbrock and Holley coil covers. I've looked at the Holley valve covers which I like ok, but I don't think the last coil on the passenger side would fit with the AC box. I've looked at full engine covers and partials like the Rotofabs, the stock Gen 5 Camaro, cut down versions of everything from GTOs to Holdens.

My personal favorite look is the GMPP "competition" covers painted black like this:

Old 12-01-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

LSCustom - Thanks again for the kind offer. Unfortunately the mounting style of those coils is not the same as mine. It was very nice of you to offer!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,650 Likes on 2,230 Posts

Clint, the GM factory race team, mounts their coils in an under header manner with great reliability. Personally, I'd keep the plug wires as short as possible.
Attached Thumbnails '70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: '70 Nova LY6/TH400 6.0VVT