Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reused an old k/n breather to temporarily act as an air filter for pcv. This is about what it's going to look like after some more clean up:

Name:  2011-04-24172549.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  104.1 KB

The dynatech long tubes hang very low. From the side of the car, you can see all 4 primaries as they go into the collecter. I'll put a photo up soon. Luckily, as I pulled the car out of the yard, they didn't scrape on the curb. Every speed bump or driveway will be a threat. I reused the 4 inch aluminum driveshaft from the van. I hope it holds up. Slicks or any more power and it should probably go. Oh, and don't worry about those holes in the floor, they just lighten the car and make it faster.

Name:  2011-04-23173124.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  73.7 KB

The a arms and eibach springs really dropped the front end as I discovered today. Not to worry, the headers will bottom out and keep the car from dropping too low.

Name:  2011-04-24172602.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  116.5 KB

Last edited by futureuser; 04-24-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

I have a really bad habit of using speed tape, duct tape and wire. Yes, I want to build a bracket for the fans and I will try! But they are wired up (in more than one way)and even have circuit breakers!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 AM
TECH Addict

Looking better and better!

How low do the headers hang below your subframe?

Luckily, as I pulled the car out of the yard, they didn't scrape on the curb.
Does this mean you are taking it to the tuners to get it running?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Starting to look nice and tidy!
Old 04-25-2011, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Looking better and better!

How low do the headers hang below your subframe?

Does this mean you are taking it to the tuners to get it running?
Probably 3 inches. I'll get a picture up. Are yours like that?

Yes, it was picked up today and will be looked at Wednesday. I'm hoping to drive it this weekend.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by futureuser
Probably 3 inches. I'll get a picture up. Are yours like that?

Yes, it was picked up today and will be looked at Wednesday. I'm hoping to drive it this weekend.

Cool, you're right, headers look alittle low!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

Why do mine hang lower than everyone else's?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
Why do mine hang lower than everyone else's?
I dont think yours does. I am unsure how low mine are but will check tomorrow. I just had a great idea! Flip them upside down and reverse them so they come out of the hood pointing towards the back, hell yeah!

Hope to get a video of the green machine rolling on its own power!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

I dont think yours does. I am unsure how low mine are but will check tomorrow. I just had a great idea! Flip them upside down and reverse them so they come out of the hood pointing towards the back, hell yeah!

Hope to get a video of the green machine rolling on its own power!
Don't put it past me! These headers are just to hold me over until I can figure out a turbo set up.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

Name:  2011-04-27155241.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  60.7 KB

Maybe 2 inches below the subframe
Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, that was my disappointment with the dynatech headers was that they hung lower than I expected, or wanted for that matter, on my Nova. It looks like mine are about as low as yours but maybe not quite as bad. However, they are still a good deal IMO for what you get.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

[IMG][/IMG]

I just snapped a couple of pics of the ground clearance under my headers. I have over 4" of clearance to the ground. I am unsure of what yours is but it may be a combination of your engine mounts, engine stands, and adapter plates. My plates are over 3/8" thick, I have the taller engine stands, and I flipped the adapters over to give me a little more room between the pan and subframe. Did your adapters lower the engine in the bay? My car sits pretty low anyways. The tops of my tires are hidden by the fender some and I am running a 235/60/15 right now. I have some narrower tires waiting to be put on but they are about the same circumference. Hope this helps! Looking good on some concrete by the way.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

[IMG][/IMG]

I just snapped a couple of pics of the ground clearance under my headers. I have over 4" of clearance to the ground. I am unsure of what yours is but it may be a combination of your engine mounts, engine stands, and adapter plates. My plates are over 3/8" thick, I have the taller engine stands, and I flipped the adapters over to give me a little more room between the pan and subframe. Did your adapters lower the engine in the bay? My car sits pretty low anyways. The tops of my tires are hidden by the fender some and I am running a 235/60/15 right now. I have some narrower tires waiting to be put on but they are about the same circumference. Hope this helps! Looking good on some concrete by the way.
Thanks for all the info and pics. When I had all of the mounts and stands I thought I determined that the tall narrow mount with short narrow stand was the same height as the short wide/tall wide, but maybe I was a little off. My autokraft plates are pretty thick compared to the carshop plates, but don't use the backing plates. My mounts are flipped as well. Bottom line, I will deal with this and get used to my limited ground clearance. Nothing's perfect in these swaps and overall, I'm probably still lucky that I managed to pull this off without yet having to take a course in welding.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Default Exhaust options?

Okay, I have two options for exhaust systems and would like some opinions. If I am missing anything please let me know.

Option 1: Dynatech's 3 inch 409 stainless steel kit with X crossover and straight through mufflers, like magnaflow or ultraflow, using mandrel bent tubes. I would have to install it with the provided clamps (modern style) and deal with trying to get it to tuck, which could be difficult, considering how low my headers are. Total cost for kit $563.

Option 2: Very experienced and reputable muffler installer will fabricate and install 3 inch system from front to back with 3 inch alumized steel tubing and mufflers of my choice, with H pipe and stock exit, using a mandrel bending machine. Total cost parts and labor $800.

I'm leaning towards option 2, but am thinking I should have learned to weld afterall to avoid some of this expense.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:19 AM
TECH Addict

Option #3: Buy the Flowmaster mandrel bent exhaust system. It fits like a glove and exits between the quarter and the spring. I had a guy bend up some exhaust for me and did not like the way the tail pipes were hitting the springs with larger people in the back seat. You wouldnt believe the difference in sound once the old pipes were off and the new Flowmasters were added. I am using 2 1/2" exhaust which should be plenty for a street car. You could add some dumps if you really wanted to uncork it. I wish I had a sound clip of the 327 right before I sold it.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks. I think you're right about the 2 1/2 inch exhaust for fitment, but I am probably going to have to learn the hard way with a 3 inch system. I just can't resist. But after a quick search I found this flowmaster 3 inch system for about $54X shipped. Seems like a great deal and very tempting:

http://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-172.../dp/B000QJH2CY

But if I go with a kit, my perceived problem remains. It will be screwed up because the headers are too low and I'll have to end up modifying the system to get it to bend upwards. The tech at dynatech was honest enough to tell me this. So I buy the system, dick around with it for a few hours cursing most of the way and probably still be in it close to what I can pay Buster to do it for. Buster had the best muffler shop in the Atlanta area and now works at a slower pace from home. He is one of the only guys around with the mandrel bending machine and I will make the choice based on the assumption that he does it right. That being said I am acting like a woman having to think this through "out loud" and make up my mind. This is what happens when my car is locked up in someone's shop for a few days.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Option #3: Buy the Flowmaster mandrel bent exhaust system. It fits like a glove and exits between the quarter and the spring. I had a guy bend up some exhaust for me and did not like the way the tail pipes were hitting the springs with larger people in the back seat. You wouldnt believe the difference in sound once the old pipes were off and the new Flowmasters were added. I am using 2 1/2" exhaust which should be plenty for a street car. You could add some dumps if you really wanted to uncork it. I wish I had a sound clip of the 327 right before I sold it.
^^^ what he said, get the new super 44's, I've heard there quiet!! but the X pipe is nice for killing dB,
Old 04-29-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

For what it is worth the Flowmaster kit will adjust up or down between the headers and the H-pipe. Also the ball socket flanges on the headers allow for some upward movement as well. I have the same flowmaster setup that was on my SBC with Heddman headers on the LS with Dynatechs. I loosened the slip fit on the header pipes and adjusted in/out and up and down until I got it where I wanted it then I tacked it into place. Same thing on the back side as I wanted to add a disconnect between the headers and the mufflers in case the transmission or clutch ever needed to be removed. I can loosen 2 clamps and undo the header flanges and the center of my exhaust comes right off and out of the way. I like the Flowmaster because it also comes with the brackets to hang it with. 2 bolt in and 2 I welded in since the holes were not there on my particular Camaro. They send the push on locks so the exhaust does not slide side to side and it comes with rubber isolators to eliminate any unwanted noise. If you have someone that can hand bend everthing to fit thats great but its hard to beat a CNC machine that bends it the same everytime.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-29-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exhaust looks great tsnow!!

Quick Reply: LY6/4L80e from rough van into rough 69 camaro