Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great build want more pics
Old 01-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
I am looking into the factory style fuel line myself. I have access to all of the tools and fittings I need to complete this. Does NHRA require all cars to shed their factory fuel line to drag? Lets say you have 2002 Z/28 and laid down some good times, will tech make you change out the factory installed lines? I really dont know. The OEM line is some tough fuel line. Its easy to route and easy to affix to the chassis. I agree on the wear and tear, it would be easier to spot. If were to go with say braided line I would get the teflon lined with the steel outer core with the stainless outside. There are more than one layer inside of the stainless braided line. I used to think it was rubber hose with a stainless sleeve and never bothered to use. But recently I talked it over with a Hi-Perf shop locally and he brought out a diagram with the multilayers in each fuel line. I was amazed. Are you interested in selling some of the 3/8" OEM line? You know you can also buy the sleeve that will fit over this type of line that will aid in wear resisitance. It sort of like heat shrink but you buy it by the roll. Just a little added protection. The line in question can withstand a lot of PSI and is easily repaired if need be. Let me know on the line as I am seriously thinking oof going that route. Keep up the good work and good luck on your build.
It has been a few years since I did any serious racing, but our tech guys would usually give unmodified appearing factory stock cars a pass as long as the battery was secure and the seat belts were intact. That is unless you busted out with an 11 second or faster pass. Then, they would scrutinize.

If you came in with an older and/or modified cars, they would pretty much check everything from your carb return spring down to your fuel lines. However, while I saw plenty of guys busted for the fuel lines in the engine compartment, I have never seen one of the tech guys get on his back and scrutinize fuel system components that were not easily visible under the car.

The scrutiny of the tech guys also varied from track to track. So, what is cool at Desoto Dragway might not fly at Gainesville -etc.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10-4 that. I will only hit up the local 1/8th mile. Their Tech department is minimal at best. Probably not somewhere I would want to go on a regular basis. I like the OEM line for the ease of installment and the price is fair. If it is going to jeapordize my hard work I would not run it. I will see how it fairs and go from there. Maybe do my own abrasion tests and put a little heat to it, clean that is. Just to get a feel for its durability. From what I have seen, this line is tough. Especially if you purchase the sleeve that runs the length of the line. Its light, not that I am concerned with that in my lead sled but just another advantage. The circle track guys and even the drag strip fellas are running the nylon braided line which is nowhere near as strong as a good stainless braidied line. Nowhere near the protective layers in the nylon lines. I havent made up my mind as to which I will go with but I am leaning towards the OEM. It is used to repair everyday vehicles that get abused on a daily basis without any problems. It used to be you had to buy an entire factory fuel line and replace it as a whole but now technology has it so what would have cost hundreds of dollars to fix its now down to less than $25. It does seem flimpsy but thats not the case. Just my take on it no hard feelings intended.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to give the dayco flex fuel line a try. It is high end stuff and should do the trick. Here are some updates:

Name:  2011-01-21121937.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  78.6 KB

Painted and por'ed the firewall.

Got the motor back from Vengeance and hooked the tranny, and today was supposed to be the big day:

Name:  2011-01-22135522.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  139.8 KB

I moved the car out onto the street. The weather was great and the city marshall never drove by, but no luck:

Name:  2011-01-22165839.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  87.3 KB

In this picture, the motor is touching the firewall and I still have to bring the motor back a half inch for it to drop in. These are car shop one inch back plates and they are a no go. Others have used them with good success, but they won't work for me. I though about adjusting the body back but I have welded in subframe connecters, so I doubt that will work. The autokraft pan has nice clearance. So I'm thinking carshop standard plates. This will move that pan a half inch closer to the center link, but they should work. I just hope they work with the dynatechs.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In this picture, the motor is touching the firewall and I still have to bring the motor back a half inch for it to drop in. These are car shop one inch back plates and they are a no go. Others have used them with good success, but they won't work for me. I though about adjusting the body back but I have welded in subframe connecters, so I doubt that will work. The autokraft pan has nice clearance. So I'm thinking carshop standard plates. This will move that pan a half inch closer to the center link, but they should work. I just hope they work with the dynatechs.[/QUOTE]

Whats the part number on these plates. Do you want to sell them? Pm me
Old 01-23-2011, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Turns out others that had success with the 1 inch back plates may have had short and wide style stands and mounts. I'm pretty sure I have tall and narrow style stands since my tall and narrow mounts fit the stands well. Also, my body may have been too far forward when I welded the subframe connecters in. I doubt it though, since I changed the body bushings at the same time.

I am going to try the car shop standard plates or autokraft plates which appear to be the same.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

I had the same problem with my setup so I ended up raising the front of the car so I could shove the engine/tranny in at a sharp angle. As I lowered the engine/tranny combo I flattened it out. I still had to give her a shove to get it to clear the stand. Once over the stand it fit fine. I actually can go back an inch. Try to flatten the engine/tranny combo out a little, put the passenger side on the stand first and then swing it over the drivers side. I had to hit it just right and she went with no malfunctions. It helps to have a leveler to set this combo. They make them as cheap as $30 and are readily available at Harbor Freight. I bought the heavier one for $40. It made a world of difference putting this engine.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

By angle you mean so that the back of the transmission is pointed down, right? And I don't know much about driveline angle. I assume that when the car is on level ground you check the angle of the driveline?

I had the same problem with my setup so I ended up raising the front of the car so I could shove the engine/tranny in at a sharp angle. As I lowered the engine/tranny combo I flattened it out. I still had to give her a shove to get it to clear the stand. Once over the stand it fit fine. I actually can go back an inch. Try to flatten the engine/tranny combo out a little, put the passenger side on the stand first and then swing it over the drivers side. I had to hit it just right and she went with no malfunctions. It helps to have a leveler to set this combo. They make them as cheap as $30 and are readily available at Harbor Freight. I bought the heavier one for $40. It made a world of difference putting this engine.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser

I moved the car out onto the street. The weather was great and the city marshall never drove by, but no luck:

In this picture, the motor is touching the firewall and I still have to bring the motor back a half inch for it to drop in. These are car shop one inch back plates and they are a no go. Others have used them with good success, but they won't work for me. I though about adjusting the body back but I have welded in subframe connecters, so I doubt that will work. The autokraft pan has nice clearance. So I'm thinking carshop standard plates. This will move that pan a half inch closer to the center link, but they should work. I just hope they work with the dynatechs.
In this photo you had the engine in but the head hit the firewall correct? Is there a way you could level out the engine/tranny combo? If you could the head will be pulled away just enough to make it over the engine stand. This is what I ran into. At first I thought the engine was going to need to be moved to the 1" forward position. After I got her angled just right and a little nudge she fell right into place. Now it looks like I can go from standard to 1" rearward, which I am not. I have over an inch of play between the head and the firewall now. The driveline angle is easy once you get the engine bolted in at the motor mounts. Go to Harbor Freight and buy an angle finder. Its a $5 tool that is magnetic. It is great for checking rearend pinion angles and just about anything that has an angle to it. You can butt it up against the output shaft of the tranny to get you driveline angle correct. A negative 3-5 degree angle is correct. I measure mine at the output shaft and at the end of the waterpump and it was the same. I am running a negative 3 on the engine/tranny and a negative 5 on the pinion. If I can help in any way let me know.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:50 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks. I get what you mean. In that photo, I had jacked up the rear of the trans to make it close to level. The head was butted up against the firewall. It seemed the only way it would work would be to lift the body.

I have ordered the 307/327 frame stands, the short and wide mounts and two more sets of adapters(car shop standard and autokraft). I'm hell bent on getting it in next try. Next step, I'll try stock 350 frame stands with tall/narrow mounts and standard adapters. After that, I'll change the stands, try the short/wide mounts with 1 inch set back plates. Then standard plates. Then I'm calling a welder. Then over to Fedex to return a crap load of parts.

Thanks for the driveline angle info.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

I used the adapters from Nooks and Tranny $99.00 off of Ebay. They are 3/8" thick and are adjustable. You can use the 1"forward, standard or 1" rearward location with these. I have the 307/327 stand with Energy Suspension mounts. I flipped and reversed the adapters so the mounts would not come in contact with my headers and it allowed my bolt holes to line up. I did have to modify the lips on the mounts to clear the hump on the backside of the drivers stand. I would modify the stands first to save yourself some time. If you will go back through my thread I gave details on the entire engine placement for my car. That doesnt mean it will work on yours but may help a little. I put the engine in the standard location and it worked out fine. I have a ton of clearance behind the heads. Even with that I still had to jack the trans up against the roof of the tunnel in order to shove the mount over the stand. It would almost be easier to put the mounts on last. Have you give that any consideration? It might be easier to put the mounts on the adapters and the stands on the mounts and stick it in all together. The stands shouldnt be too hard to line up especially with the engine slightly lifted. We will get that engine in one way or another.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Try ATS (American Touring Specialties) plates (now sold by Speed Tech) shouldn't have any issues
Old 01-29-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any luck with your engine stands?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

I hope to make another attempt at getting the driveline in this week. I will take photos of the new stands, adapters and mounts before I try the install again. I am working throught the weekend so I'm hoping for a good mid week update. Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jwcarguy
Try ATS (American Touring Specialties) plates (now sold by Speed Tech) shouldn't have any issues
These look like a very similar design to these:

http://www.autokraft.org/products/

If I could, I would have some of the ats plates available for the next install day too, but I didn't order these yet. We'll see how it goes...

a link to the ats plates:

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...unt2=799552559

Last edited by futureuser; 01-29-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Don't mean to distract from the current dilema, but would you mind walking me through how you got your front suspension apart? Did you use a coil spring compressor or were you able to get things apart with just the weight of the vehicle and a jack? I need to pull just my upper control arms and after putting a jack under the lower, the weight of the disassembled vehicle (no engine, no front sheet metal) doesn't seem to be enough to compress the coil spring.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Your shocks should keep everything from flying apart. Just throw on some old shocks and you should be fine. You can borrow my old lady and strap her in the engine bay she might squat it down below normal ride height but you might be ok.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Don't mean to distract from the current dilema, but would you mind walking me through how you got your front suspension apart? Did you use a coil spring compressor or were you able to get things apart with just the weight of the vehicle and a jack? I need to pull just my upper control arms and after putting a jack under the lower, the weight of the disassembled vehicle (no engine, no front sheet metal) doesn't seem to be enough to compress the coil spring.
My plan wasn't to reuse the shocks or control arms. I loosened the lower ball joint with floor jack compression under the lower control arm. I loosened and left the bolt on at the bottom of the threads of the lower ball joint. Then I hammered on the bottom of the control arm until it fell onto the lower ball joint bolt. Then I removed the lower ball joint bolt and slowly lowered the bottom control arm. I removed the old shock and then removed the coil spring. No spring compressor required. I tried to stay out of the way and used safety googles in case the spring jumped out, which it never did. Maybe this isn't the right way, but I saw someone else do it like this on youtube ,so it must be right. I did this with no front clip, motor or trans. The coil spring had plenty of compression in it with out that added weight. It was the stock coil spring, which is very different than the eibach spring I reinstalled.

Last edited by futureuser; 01-30-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Your shocks should keep everything from flying apart. Just throw on some old shocks and you should be fine. You can borrow my old lady and strap her in the engine bay she might squat it down below normal ride height but you might be ok.
I'll send mine too. Just include a little Tuscan wine, and I'm sure they'll have a party.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:11 AM
TECH Addict

I agree with Futureuser, I would do one side at a time. This would put more weight on one spring rather than splitting the weight between two. I would leave the shock on it though just in case.

Quick Reply: LY6/4L80e from rough van into rough 69 camaro