Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Datsun 280z-------------> 5.3 Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think it could be welded diff and turning on street or just horsepower?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daz
Jmortesen on Hybridz sells a pair of shortened axles for $575. Which vendor did that one come from ?
If you'd look on the drivetrain section on Hybrid you'd know

Yes, it is one of his axles. Hats off to him though. He has made every situation that we've been through right, including this one. Hell of a guy, and a great company to deal with.

I'm just not sure what else I can do at this point.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nos487
Think it could be welded diff and turning on street or just horsepower?
I'd guess torque.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the axle was just soft, maybe a defective part. Not familiar with the Z-car axles, but is the stock Z31T the same diameter as the aftermarket one that twisted? If so, I would lean on a bad part. I have a much heavier car than you with more power and the Mosers were in perfect condition the last time I pulled them. They are 28 spline c-clips in a big 10 with a posi unit. A light car like you own should be easier on the axles than my lead sled.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tsnow678
I wonder if the axle was just soft, maybe a defective part. Not familiar with the Z-car axles, but is the stock Z31T the same diameter as the aftermarket one that twisted? If so, I would lean on a bad part. I have a much heavier car than you with more power and the Mosers were in perfect condition the last time I pulled them. They are 28 spline c-clips in a big 10 with a posi unit. A light car like you own should be easier on the axles than my lead sled.
One would think.

The stock axle is actually smaller, and a softer material. The only thing we're gathering is that perhaps it acts like a torsion bar, where as the aftermarket one had no give, and thus twisted the splines. They wouldn't warranty the shaft because they said it was just too small. ... yeah, i know i don't understand either.

Either way, I'm not liking the prognosis. I thought this was a fix-all... at least for a while. I haven't even had it to the track yet!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
If you'd look on the drivetrain section on Hybrid you'd know

Yes, it is one of his axles. Hats off to him though. He has made every situation that we've been through right, including this one. Hell of a guy, and a great company to deal with.

I'm just not sure what else I can do at this point.
I actually thought it was one of his but I also thought it might be someone elses that I missed.

What about cryogenic freezing to strengthen? http://www.performancecryogenics.com/process.html
Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
One would think.

The stock axle is actually smaller, and a softer material. The only thing we're gathering is that perhaps it acts like a torsion bar, where as the aftermarket one had no give, and thus twisted the splines. They wouldn't warranty the shaft because they said it was just too small. ... yeah, i know i don't understand either.

Either way, I'm not liking the prognosis. I thought this was a fix-all... at least for a while. I haven't even had it to the track yet!
Not trying to argue with the above statement but power tends to find the weakest link. If the stocker lived then the aftermarket was the weaker of the two. Just because it is bigger in diameter doesn't make it stronger. Thats a shame the company is not going to stand behind their product. I hope they come to their senses and make good on it. Sorry for your troubles! Just about everyone that has done a swap in whatever vehicle has found inferior products.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

ColtGT4g63 had custom axles on his turbo 4.8 . His 240Z went 6.XX in the 1/8 @108 I believe. Hit him up !
Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daz
ColtGT4g63 had custom axles on his turbo 4.8 . His 240Z went 6.XX in the 1/8 @108 I believe. Hit him up !
Yeah. Auto car though... lots easier on the rear.

And to be clear, they are standing behind the product, and are making it right. However, the manufacturer is not.

I have a hard time believing that my ~450 whp would do that to an axle on the street, let alone at the track. ... Who knows.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I just spent an hour on the phone with the Driveshaft Shop.

AWESOME people over there. Really know their stuff.

We found a solution that should be pretty darn strong, and support around 700 wheel, while still using the Z31 turbo CV joints, and R200

I'll keep this updated as things progress.

Last edited by STEEPSS; 08-14-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Let us z owner's know the cost too ! I swapped a VLSD in my r200 and I have to make hybrid axles using z31t axles.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daz
Let us z owner's know the cost too ! I swapped a VLSD in my r200 and I have to make hybrid axles using z31t axles.
Surprisingly, its not that much more.

Either you can buy their companion flanges, and run porsche 930 CV's, or you buy chequered flag racing, or M2 companion flanges and run Z31 T cv's.

Wanna buy some Chequered flag parts ? lol
Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Six_Shooter on Hybrid made me a set for $175. He did it like MM use to, I sent him mine and he welded everything up. They look good and solid.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daz
Six_Shooter on Hybrid made me a set for $175. He did it like MM use to, I sent him mine and he welded everything up. They look good and solid.
Thats all good and dandy if you're using stock stub axles.

I am not.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres a company here in town that I heard makes some pretty heavy duty custom axles as well so might be another option. Dont think theyre a sponser so dont want to post the name but pm me if wanting their info.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Verz
Theres a company here in town that I heard makes some pretty heavy duty custom axles as well so might be another option. Dont think theyre a sponser so dont want to post the name but pm me if wanting their info.
Thanks, but I doubt they have parts to mate a 39 spline chequered flag stub axle to a 930 porsche CV joint companion flange, with a custom 36 spline 300M bar, with an R200 stub welded to another adapter for a 930 joint

haha these guys deal with all the drift crowd all the time, so imports are their specialty.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Absolutely amazing you did that. You were building the bullet proof rear end that I was jealous of. That had to have been a defective part.

At any rate I assume you are aware of the Wolf Creek Racing porsche CV axle solution? Not sure if they are compatible with your stubs.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Absolutely amazing you did that. You were building the bullet proof rear end that I was jealous of. That had to have been a defective part.

At any rate I assume you are aware of the Wolf Creek Racing porsche CV axle solution? Not sure if they are compatible with your stubs.
Yes I am aware, but those are designed for the stock stub axle companion flange, and mine are larger. Also, the inboard cv will have an adapter directly welded to the "input?" that goes into the diff. This effectively eliminates half the hardware, which I like. Also, they price is nearly identical.

We are seeing that they might not have a flange to go to my 39 spline stub axles though.

In this case, we are going to use the Z31T CV housings, upgrade the cages to a 36 spline chrome moly unit, and a 300M bar. They said this setup would be good to 6-700 rwhp, which makes me comfortable for now. HOWEVER, if I put nitrous on it (possible) I'd likely be close to or over that 600 mark....

Time will tell.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

As it turns out, the shaft was defective. I opted for a refund, and am going to get a different setup with a second pair of axles i bought (yay spares).

I don't think anyone will break this axle setup now that they have all the issues sorted out. Poor M2, I was like the problem child. Found issues with both shafts. Both have been resolved, and with great customer service.

Would do business again.

I'm looking at drag wheels, just for the rear for now. Either rota shakotans, or ?

suggestions on what this car would look good sitting on? (remember its 4 lug, and not the mustang size)
Old 08-25-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

black aluma stars

Quick Reply: 78 Datsun 280z-------------> 5.3 Build